Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
Franklinnoble
Banned

Hail to the Deadskins

I'm starting a FOF4 dynasty using a modified set of "Misfit Toys" house rules.

Basically, I'm testing the theory that all you really need to win is offense. So, my entire squad will be comprised of undrafted free agents, with the following exceptions:

QB - Can be drafted in any round. Only one 1st rounder with under 10 years experience on the roster at any time. No free agent signings (unless undrafted).

RB - Same as QB - except only allowed two draftees on the roster at any time.

WR - One SE, one FL, same as QB. One third WR (SE or FL) may be drafted in any round but round one. All other WR's are UFA's.

That's it. Aside from those three positions, the entire squad will be UFA's.

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

I began the game with a preference draft (because I'd never tried that option before), as the Washington Redskins. I set the preferences to favor my three skill positions and "potential" as opposed to "experience" to encourage a young roster. It worked. Better than half my guys are rookies. I did get a few veterans at the skill positions, which I'll toss along with everyone else at the end of the first season (the UFA pool looked a little shallow after the preference draft - I'll play one year like this, then begin building up). The only players that will stay at the end of year one will be rookie QB's, RB's, and WR's.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
Havok
College Starter

GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

I finished year one 3-12-1. Which actually works out nice, because I was throwning that year away anyway, and it earned me the #1 pick in a draft that looks to be well-stocked with QB's and RB's.

The players worth keeping going into the free agency period (which I will not participate in) are:

QB Robert Ingersoll - 39/68 (current/future): Put up a modest rating of 68.2 in his rookie campaign. Threw for 3422 yards, 14TD, 17INT, and was sacked 51 times (still managed to start every game)

FL Marques Grantham - 35/64: Didn't start. 7 catches for 62 yards.

SE Britt Cooper - 27/47: Didn't start. 8 catches for 91 yards.

None of my RB's were eligible for the roster under the house rules and were released.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

Draft Day 2003... and the decision is here. With the number one pick overall, do I take the stud RB (who would be immediately effective) or choose from a few potential stud QB's (harder to come by - requires more grooming - but basically most important in the long run).

There are four top-tier QB's available, and one RB who'd I consider worthy of the #1 overall pick. I'm probably not going to get another shot at this kind of QB selection again anytime soon, so I decide to focus my efforts on that position. Here's the scouting report:

Louis Nicholson - Navy - 34/87 - Very intelligent, with current Timing, Sense Rush, and Scramble Frequency ratings that are already very high.

Ralph Leat - Baylor - 36/86 - Dumb as a rock, but a fan favorite. High Sense Rush and Third Down Passing ratings.

Jamie Fountaine - Stanford - 29/87 - Another idiot - and his low timing rating and potential is scaring me off.

Glen Benson - Louisville - 25/82 - Another smart guy. Lower leadership and less overall upside than the other three.

I've decided that Nicholson looks like the best prospect, and since he went to college at the nearby Naval Academy, he figures to be something of a local hero (although his hometown is in Santa Fe, NM).

As expected, most of the big talent is gone by round two, but there are a few decent WR's on the board. I decide it might be worth trading up a bit to see if I can snag two of them - there are no RB's worth drafting high (or at all, really) and I won't need the late picks for another QB. Green Bay has the second pick in round two, so I send them this years 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and next year's 3rd for it. I now have the first two picks in round 2, and the first in round three. I select the following:

2(1) - FL Ricky Wiggins - Iowa - 37/64 - A fan favorite, with very high leadership and high intelligence. His "courage rating is his strongest suit - and he also has the makings of an excellent kick returner. Might move him to SE.

2(2) - FL Steven Robinson-Randall - Vanderbilt - 27/61 - Good upside all around.

3(1) - SE Brent Caldwell - North Texas - 29/53 - A good fifth WR. I was tempted to get a QB here, but there was nothing on the board that would be worth the investment.

So, the draft is over, and I feel good about the passing game talent, but I'm still very weak at RB... and God only knows what I'll find now amongst the misfit toys for the rest of my roster.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Well, there were no "gems" amongst the UFA's this year... my offensive line is probably going to get my QB's killed, I have no running game to speak of, and my defense looks like a sieve going into training camp.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

At the end of 2003, the Deadskins improved to 4-12 (hey, that means another good draft pick... woo hoo!).

Nicholson didn't play a single down at QB (well, if he did, all he did was hand the ball off). Ingersoll started all 16 games, and put up the following numbers:

3289yds, 14td, 11int, 54sacks, 72.3 rating

Our rushing leader was the forgettable Ty Zimmerman, who averaged 2.7 yards per carry en route to 710 yards on the season. Somehow, this earned him Offensive Rookie of the Year. (?!?!?)

Wiggins led all receivers with 49 catches for 711 yards and 3 TD's. Not bad for the rookie.

Attendance and profits fell by about 5% this year. It'll get worse if we don't get better.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

2004 begins with a much needed coaching change - hiring a passing game guru from rival Philadelphia by the name of Lamar Trafton. Age 37. If he works out, he should figure on being with the team for a long, long time.

We're $28 million under the cap with the #3 pick overall in the draft, so the financial situation is stable. I'm leaving ticket prices alone until we start winning more ballgames.

The upcoming draft looks pretty barren for our needs (given the rules we're playing with). There's one stud QB on the board, but he's got less potential than Nicholson right now. The top RB is Ike Breck - rated 44/70 with solid numbers except a suspiciously low elusiveness rating. He could be a solution to our weak running game, or he could be KiJana Carter... I'd hate to burn a top-5 pick on him... but he won't wait until the second round, and there's nothing else worth burning that pick on... so I go for it.

I trade down my #2 pick to Philadelphia for their #4 and next year's #2. The rest of my draft nets me 2 backup QB's, two backup RB's, and 2 backup WR's...
Old 05-07-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

After training camp, Breck looks like a bust. Not a total loss, but his ratings now indicate he's never going to live up to the potential his draft pick warranted. One of the late round picks, Rich Butler, may end up getting more carries than he does this year.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:15 AM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

The Deadskins finished a more respectable 8-8 for 2004.

QB Robert Ingersoll continues to play the role of ironman - taking every snap, enduring another 40 sacks, and posting a QB rating of 94.3, with a 30/13 TD/INT ratio.

"The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman rushed for 1025 yards, averaging 3.4 per carry. Rich Butler rushed for 467 yards at 4.3 per carry. First round bust Ike Breck had 4 carries for 16 yards.

Ricky Wiggins led the 'Skins in receiving again, with 58 catches for 972 yards. Misfit Toy TE Mike Randolph was second with 42 grabs and 580 yards.

The worst part about 2004? Dallas won the division with a 9-7 record. The best part? Washington beat Dallas in both regular season meetings.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
Havok
College Starter

good... im glad ya spanked them Cowgirls
Old 05-08-2003, 01:09 AM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

At the beginning of the 2005 season, the Deadskins profit margin is down a whopping 69% - although ticket revenues were up, and most of the decreased profit was due to increased costs related to player bonuses and hiring an expensive new coach.

The team is $36 million under the cap, with only one free agent (restricted) worth re-signing ("The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman - he's earned it), and the #15 pick in the draft. The rookie talent pool is once again shallow at the offensive skill positions. With the way Ingersoll is playing at QB, it might have been better to use that #1 two years ago on that stud RB (I'm glad I didn't get his name - if I had, and he's turned out to be an all-pro, I'd probably flog myself).

By the time our pick rolls around, there's nothing at our skill positions that's worth a first rounder, so I trade the pick to Miami for their #2(1) this year, and next year's #2. I pick up two decent WR's and one RB in round 2, and another RB in round 3. Nothing else on the board is going to improve my roster, so I trade the remainder of my picks to Miami for next year's 3rd and 4th round picks.

The UFA market yields some small improvements along the defensive front 7 and the O-line. The defensive secondary is still critically weak, and will probably remain so indefinately.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

At the end of the 2005 regular season, the Redskins finished 10-6 and earned a wild-card berth in the playoffs, second in the division to Philadelphia, and splitting the series with each of their divisional rivals. Dallas finished dead last at 5-11.

QB Robert Ingersoll posted the league's 3rd best QB rating at 101.7, with 4204 yards, 30 TD's, and 11 INT's. He actually took a break on one play... Louis Nicholson was 1 for 1 passing with 6 yards total... making his career rating 91.6.

Rich Butler led the team in rushing, with 1096 yards and an average of 3.3 per carry. "The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman had 401 yards, averaging a respectable 4.3 per carry.

WR Ricky Wiggins cracked the NFL's top ten receiving list with 77 catches for 1225 yards.

Unfortunately, the Redskins playoff run came to an abrupt end against the Eagles in a 41-30 loss (not exactly a defensive battle).

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-08-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:45 PM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

2006 Pre-Season

The Redskins increased their profit margin by 64%, mostly due to less money paid in player bonuses (we traded away our first rounder last year). Revenue was up 2%. Total profit: $55 million.

Ticket prices will again remain unchanged. There's $35 million in cap space with a few key contracts to re-negotiate (Ingersoll and Wiggins) and we own the #23 pick in the draft, along with Miami's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick (they pick 12th). Obviously, we won't need to make that many selections, so the opportunity to trade up is there. WR Tom Cote of Arizona looks like a winner, and the 'Skins could use another big-play receiver. No sure-bet RB's on the board, and no QB that's likely to outplay what we have on the roster.

Unfortunately, a deal to move up to take Cote couldn't be struck without trading away too many future considerations. The Redskins use their first round pick to select WR Edgar Parrish from Vanderbilt - a solid receiver; not as much upside as Cote, but a good addition to the team nonetheless.

Nothing else on the board excites the scouts, so the Redskins war room begins to trade out of the draft for future considerations. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks from Miami are traded to Buffalo for their #1 next year (they picked first overall this year, so it figures to translate into a valuable pick next season). Our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th round pick is sent to Pittsburgh for their #1 next year. We hold the 5th rounder for a WR that we hope will drop (but doesn't). Instead, the Redskin's select Tom Cote's lesser-known brother, Tim, from Duke. Chances are he won't last through training camp, but it's worth a shot.

The UFA pool yields some promising MLB prospects, but little else worth mentioning.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

2006 Post-Season

The Redskins finish the season atop the NFC East with an impressive 12-4 record and a first-round bye. The rest of the NFC was a model of parity, with only three other teams with winning records (New Orleans and Tampa at 9-7 and St. Louis at 14-1-1). Detroit and Minnesota made the playoffs at 8-8.

Robert Ingersoll led the league in passing with a rating of 111.7. He threw for 4352 yards and 41 TD's. After another season without missing a game (or even a single snap), his fifth in a row, the local media has dubbed him "Iron Bob."

Rich Butler led the 'Skins in rushing, gaining 4.1 YPC en route to 1233 yards total on the season. "The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman was second on the team again, with 413 yards and 3.9 YPC.

WR Ricky Wiggins missed a few games with a sprained knee, but still led the team with 60 catches and 1003 yards. He's expected to be available for the playoffs.

Washington dispatched their divisional round opponent New Orleans by a score of 27-21, setting up a conference title game with St. Louis Cardinals (yes, they're the Cardinals in my league). Heading into the game as 4 point underdogs on the road, the 'Skins shocked the Cards with a 24-0 shutout (where'd the defense come from all of a sudden?!?).

The Redskins head to the Super Bowl as 5 point favorites against the AFC Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Unfortunately, the Redskins offense is unable to crack the Pittsburgh defense for more than a single TD, and the 'Skins lose by a score of 16-13.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

2007 Pre-Season

Profits are up 30% to nearly $73 million, thanks to a 28% increase in ticket revenue. The Redskins are now the league's most valuable franchise at $802 million. The stadium (especially the parking lot) is in need of renovation, but it's only 10 years old right now.

Apparently, these misfit toys rules are very salary cap friendly. We're $42 million under, with the only big re-signing expected being that of RB Rich Butler. "The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman is up for renewal, too, but will probably come cheap, as should backup QB (and former #1 overall pick) Louis Nicholson, who has so far been a very expensive insurance policy for Iron Bob Ingersoll.

Ticket prices will remain unchanged. We're profitable as it is, and there's no need to boost gate revenue yet.

The Redskins have three late first-round picks (25, 31, 32), and there is no talent at the skill positions worth taking with them. The three picks are traded to Miami for their #1 picks in 2008 and 2009. The rest of the draft is spent on 2 QB's, 2 RB's, and 2 WR's - most of whom will be fortunate to make the opening day roster as backups.

The UFA market yeilds some modest talent in the defensive secondary and offensive line.

"The Forgettable" Ty Zimmerman doesn't make the cut at training camp this year. It is unlikely that he'll make another NFL roster. He finishes his career as a Redskin with 2,549 yards rushing with 9 TD's and a 3.3 average over his four year career.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-08-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

2007 Postseason

The Redskins posted the best record in the NFC at 13-2-1, and will enjoy the first round bye and home field advantage in the playoffs that comes with it. They swept the season series with Dallas.

Iron Bob Ingersoll led the league in passing again, with 4116 yards, 37 TD's, and a rating of 105.9. He didn't miss a single down. In six years, he's started every game and only missed two snaps.

Rich Butler led the league in rushing, pounding out 1618 yards at 3.9 per carry. He had nearly 100 more attempts than his nearest competitor. No other back on the team got a significant number of carries - Ingersoll was the second leading rusher.

WR Brent Caldwell led the team (tied with FB Buddy Mitchell) with 49 receptions for 745 yards. WR Ricky Wiggins was hampered by a hyperextended elbow - as this is his second year in a row missing significant time to injury, he's worried about being stigmatized as "injury-prone"

Washington defeated Philadelphia in the Divisional round by a score of 38-31, setting up a Conference title game re-match with St. Louis. The outcome was the same, with the Cardinals seemingly unable to get their offense going against the 'Skins - the final score was 35-7.

Washington heads to the Super Bowl to face the formidable New England Patriots, the only team with a better regular season record (14-1-1). The teams fought to a 35-35 tie in week two.

This week, however, a victor MUST be decided, and, after six years under new management, the Washington Redskins emerged as Super Bowl Champions, defeating the Patriots 31-21!

Ironically, New England QB Ralph Leat (whom the Redskins passed on in the 2003 draft) was named game MVP.

Iron Bob Ingersoll took home his second consecutive Player of the Year award. Rich Butler was named Offensive Player of the Year.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #18
Franklinnoble
Banned

2008 Pre-Season

Lead scout Ryan Trudeau's contract was renewed for 5 years at $1.5 million.

The balance sheet shows profits up another 39% to $101 million, thanks again to increased ticket revenue. The franchise's overall value shot up to $882 million.

{ One side note here - the franchise values page indicates my roster is rated at "100." This pretty much seals the initial premise of this dynasty, as the only players on the team that have performed at the highest levels (statistically) are my QB and my RB. The WR's are solid, but not phenomenal. The rest of the roster is positively lackluster, and is comprised entirely of undrafted free agents who have never played for any other team.}

I've decided to leave ticket prices alone until we're completely sold out in pre-season, and even at that point, I'll probably only increase them in very small increments until I need to finance stadium upgrades.

The team is $47 million under the cap, with no major contract renegotiations pending. We have the #2 pick overall from MIA, in addition to our regular picks 1-7 at #32. There is one stud WR in the draft class that looks like a potential monster.

FL Howard Dodge - Minnesota - 51/85 - has great upside across the board, and even figures to be a formidable punt and kick returner. Not very bright, but high leadership skills and very high loyalty and desire to be on a winning team.

The problem is, New York drafts one pick ahead of us, and they know we want Dodge. They want both first rounders and our second and third round pick just so we can move up one spot to get him. Do we call their bluff, and hope they pick someone else? A look at their roster reveals that they have the league's three-time 1st team WR already - they don't need Dodge.
What they really need is a QB, RB, DT, or OT. This opens up another possibility... I could offer them Nicholson. He's a 6 year vet - basically entering the prime of his career, but playing backup to the man who's proven to be the league's most dependable QB. Dare I trade the insurance policy to a divisional rival?

I decide not. It's just not worth giving the Giants either a franchise QB or a ton of draft picks to move up one spot and guarantee a WR that I really, really want, but can probably live without.

The gamble fails. New York takes Dodge, and now has the most dangerous WR tandem in the league. Fuck. I'm so pissed off on draft day I almost pull a "Minnesota" and miss the window. Instead, I dump the #2 pick - trading it to New York for their #1 and #2 picks in 2009 and 2010.

I take WR Freddie Caldwell as a consolation prize at #32. He's basically about 65% the receiver that Dodge is. I grab another WR prospect in round 2 and a backup QB in round 3. I send the rest of the picks, along with my #2 for next year to Chicago for their #1 next year. I'm not going to miss another top prospect again.

Interesting draft highlight - "Mr. Irrelevant" this year was a punter from Florida by the name of Freddie Kevorkian. He's reputed to be gifted with coffin-corner punts.

The misfit toys include a few decent offensive linemen.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:09 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

2008 Post-Season

The Redskins were not quite as dominating in the regular season this year, but finished atop the division at 12-4. However, they did not earn a first round bye. The disappointment was somewhat curbed by a regular season sweep of the Cowboys.

Iron Bob Ingersoll was second in the league in passing, throwing for 4077 yards, 36 TD's, and a rating of 102.8. Once again, he played every single down.

Rich Butler led the team in rushing with 1079 yards at 3.9 YPC.

WR Edgar Parrish led the team in receiving with 64 catches for 1024 yards. WR Brent Caldwell was a close second with 57 catches for 988 yards.

Washington made short work of first-round opponent Carolina, 37-16. They won even more impressively at St. Louis the following week, 37-10. This set up a conference title matchup with the Atlanta Falcons, who had posted a league-best 14-2 regular season record. Sadly, the 'Skins title defense came to an abrubt end, 38-24. Atlanta went on to defeat Jacksonville in the Super Bowl 44-23.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:04 PM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

2009 Pre-Season

In a surprising move, the Redskins did not renew head coach Lamar Trafton's contract. Despite Trafton's record of 70-50-2 with 4 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl title, the Redskins decided instead to offer the position to Doug Farmer, an untested coach at the professional level, but one who figures to have more balanced coaching skills that may improve the development of younger players on BOTH sides of the ball.

Profits were down 72%, mostly due to lower revenues (man, they jump off the bandwagon quick) and higher player bonuses and scouting costs. With profits shrinking to $28 million, ticket prices will see a small increase this season.

Iron Bob Ingersoll is in the last year of his current deal. He signs a renegotiated contract worth $18.64 million over 4 years that includes a $14 million signing bonus.

The Redskins have 4 first round picks (2,6,11,29) in a draft that includes 2 good RB's and 2 good WR's. Neither are "Rare" superstar material, but one of each would be a nice addition to the roster.

I get my first choice - WR Winfred Assanie from Purdue (46/72), a big-play receiver with good endurance and solid potential everywhere else. The RB I wanted was snatched before I could get him at #6, though, but the second choice might be a blessing in disguise. Jamal Riley from Rutgers (54/69) has better endurance than my first choice and is a power runner with good speed. His only drawback is his average hands - less receiving ability and a greater tendency to fumble. My second choice WR is still on the board at #11 and too good to pass up - WR Brenden Hasty from Tennessee-Martin (32/69) - a potentially great posession receiver with solid numbers and very high intelligence.

I trade my remaining 1st, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks to Seattle for next year's #1. I snag another WR and a QB in round 2, and (I'm not making this up) WR Mo Lester in round 3. I didn't really need him, but he has potential, and with a name like that...
Old 05-09-2003, 02:09 PM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

2009 Post-Season

The Deadskins regress again - their record is 11-5, second in the division to the 12-4 New York Giants, and on their way to Chicago for the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

QB Iron Bob Ingersoll has taken every snap this season again, even though he's playing with a strained hamstring. He led the league in passing with 4099 yards, 38 TD's, and a rating of 111.8.

Rich Butler led the team in rushing again, with 1403 yards at 4.1 YPC.

WR Brent Caldwell led the team in receiving, with 62 catches for 971 yards, followed by WR Ricky Wiggins with 46 catches for 747 yards.

The Redskins beat the Bears on the road by a score of 19-6. In the divisional round, they beat the Arizona Copperheads 35-28 to set up a conference title re-match with the defending champion Atlanta Falcons.

Even with leading rusher Rich Butler sidelined with a separated shoulder, the Redskins avenged last year's loss by a score of 30-27, and were on their way to face the AFC Champion Jacksonville Jaguars in the Super Bowl.

Three straight road games and the loss of their top running back finally caught up - Jacksonville defeated Washington 20-17 in the title game.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #22
Franklinnoble
Banned

2010 Pre-Season

Profits last year were down to $6.7 million. We're still two years from being able to renovate the stadium, although we're selling out 100% of our existing capacity, and can probably safely raise ticket prices this year.

Denver and New Jersey have surged ahead of us in overall franchise value - the Jets thanks to a new stadium... Denver must be due to an improved roster and fan support.

The Redskins are $32 million under the cap this year. We have the #6, #28, and #31 picks in round one, #28 and #31 in round two, and #31 in the remaining rounds.

There is a STUD QB prospect in the draft class this year, and we need to move up to take him. Why? We have Iron Bob, and a very solid backup in Louis "The Policy" Nicholson (a former #1 overall himself). Even our #3 QB (2nd year vet. Eddie Meske 25/62) isn't all that bad.

One reason: The Dallas Cowboys draft first overall this year, and I don't want them to have him.

Here's the report on this kid:

QB Bryce Baxter (39/95) - Methodist - 6'2", 233#. Dumb as a rock, but idolized by the fans. Maxed out "Third down passing" and "Sense rush" attributes already. Potential everywhere else is no lower than 82, and averages around 95. He'd probably plague me for YEARS if he ever ended up wearing a blue star on his helmet.

Dallas trades me the #1 overall pick in exchange for QB Meske, former first round bust RB Ike Breck, the #28 pick overall, and my #1 pick in 2011 and 2012 (which should figure to be low first rounders). Have I exploited the AI? I dunno - I just didn't want the Cowboys to get that QB.

Now, I realize at this point, I'm breaking the rules about the # of #1 picks allowed on the roster at any of the given positions. You know what? Draft day every year would be just too damned boring under those rules... it's bad enough that I'm not drafting anywhere else on the roster but QB, RB, or WR... so, I'm changing the arrangement.

I select Baxter at #1 and pick up RB Ken Strong at #6. I dump the rest of the picks on Detroit for future considerations.

The undrafted free agent pool is unusually rich with FB's this year, along with a few decent TE and OL prospects.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

2010 Post-Season

Washington finished 13-3 on the regular season, well enough to secure a division title, a first round bye, and home field advantage through the playoffs.

Iron Bob led the league in passing again - 3879 yds., 36 TD's, 111.7 rating. He actually took a few plays off this season (but still started every game) - Louis "The Policy" Nicholson was 8 for 13, 79 yards, 2 TD's, 86.1 rating.

Rich Butler missed 5 games to injuries, but led the team with 993 yards and 4.0 YPC. Martin MacKenzie was second with 589 yards at 3.6 YPC.

I have a feeling this team would be truly lethal if I drafted a few linemen...

WR Edgar Parrish led the team with 63 catches and 1061 yards, followed by Brent Caldwell with 59 catches and 962 yards.

The Divisional playoff contest featured the Redskins at home versus the arch-rival Dallas Cowboys. Washington was a 9 point favorite going into the game, and didn't have any trouble making the spread - pounding Dallas by a score of 31-13. Once again, it was Washington vs. Atlanta for the NFC title game, and for the second year in a row, the Redskins emerged victorious, winning by a score of 20-17.

It was on to the Super Bowl again, this time against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Both teams shared the same record, and Washington was a narrow 1 point favorite heading into the game. The result was close - but not that close. The Redskins captured their second Super Bowl title, avenging their loss in the 2006 title game to the Steelers, with the final score of 24-19.

Louis "The Policy" Nicholson paid off - after nine straight seasons without missing a game, Iron Bob dislocated his elbow early in the game, but Nicholson came on to win the game MVP.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:13 PM   #24
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Woot!!!! Go "The Policy".
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #25
Franklinnoble
Banned

2011 Pre-Season

Profits are back up - $43 million last year. The stadium is still sold out, so there will be an incremental ticket price increase. The franchise value is dropping as Jack Kent Cooke stadium continues to deteriorate - we're still a year from being able to order a renovation.

There's a stud WR and a stud RB prospect at the top of the draft this year. I want them both - but I doubt I'll be able to get them - I only have one first round pick (#25)... unless I hock my future picks and maybe some aging talent...

So, I trade "The Policy." Nicholson (along with my 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick) to Jacksonville for the #1 pick overall. I figure it's a safe trade - Bryce Baxter is being groomed as Iron Bob's eventual replacement, and will be a sound backup even as a second-year player, if necessary. Nicholson has been holding a clipboard for 8 years straight, and deserves a shot to start somewhere else before he's too old to make a difference.

The #2 overall pick that Tampa Bay has is arguably more costly - I have to send three #1's (this year's, next year's, and the following year's) plus Rich Butler and next year's #2. I send the rest of my draft to Tampa for their #1 next year.

So, basically, here's my draft class for this year:

WR Raymond Macias - SW Missouri St. (59/90) - Very intelligent. Huge ratings already at 'Getting Downfield,' 'Third Down Catching,' 'Big-Play Receiving,' 'Courage,' and 'Endurance.' Potential ratings are no where below 85 (and most are around 95-100), unless you count PR and KR, where he tops out at 78 and 84. If he doesn't bust, he's going to tear up opposing secondaries for a long time...

RB Benjamin Ambrose - Virginia (70/86) - I was willing to part with my top RB for a shot at this guy because, well, he's better all around. A good all-around back with great pass catching potential and excellent speed. 100 endurance and KR ratings as well.

These two, with any luck, will be my primary offensive weapons for the next several years...

Nothing remarkable in the undrafted free agent market this year.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-09-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

2011 Post-Season

Well, it figures.

I traded "The Policy" and Iron Bob Ingersoll goes down with a broken foot in week 6. The streak is over.

To make matters worse, the Redskins finished 13-3. They lost their final regular season game at home against Dallas by a score of 10-6. Dallas finishes 14-2, wins the division, home field advantage, and a first round bye. We're on the road to St. Louis next week.

QB Bryce Baxter played well in relief. He had 2403 yards, 17 TD's, and a rating of 98.4 - not bad for a second-year player who'd never taken a snap before this season.

RB Martin MacKenzie led the team in rushing - with 1166 yards at 4.5 YPC.

The Cardinals are quickly dispatched by a score of 22-7. It's on the road to Dallas for the Divisional round. The loss of two weeks ago is avenged, 41-38, and for the FOURTH year in a row, it's Washington versus Atlanta in the NFC title game. The result is the same as the last two - Washington wins 38-21 and moves on to the Super Bowl against the Tennessee Titans.

Washington wins its second consecutive NFL title, defeating the Titans 26-20. QB Bryce Baxter is named game MVP. I don't think we'll be trading him next season...
Old 05-09-2003, 05:55 PM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

2012 Pre-Season

No team in NFL history has ever won three consecutive Super Bowl titles. If Washington does it this year, I'm quitting this dynasty, as I have little else to prove at this point.

Orders are placed for the much needed stadium renovations (I don't like blowing the cash for new ballparks unless it's really necessary). I'm submitting a plan to renovate everything, with a high-quality firm on retainer, and maxing out the capacity of the park. The overall cost will be $551 million, of which I'm offering to pay half.

Note to Jim... I wouldn't mind an option to pay for 100% of the stadium improvements. Personally, I hate it when public money is wasted on these projects when team owners can easily finance the upgrades themselves.

Revenues are way down this past year, and the team was just barely profitable, at $430,000. Ticket prices are going up, my loyal fans. If the renovation is approved, I'll probably be in the red for the next three years anyway... and if it's not, well, I'm gonna be pissed. Two straight Super Bowls ought to buy me a few modest stadium upgrades.

The salary cap is actually getting a little tight - too many high draft picks the last few years. Fortunately, I don't see a need to burn one at all this year - there's only a few good RB's on the board, and I'm already well-stocked at that position. No solid QB's or RB's to tempt me. It'll be a quiet offseason. I trade my entire draft to Kansas City for their #1 and #2 next year (I didn't have a second round pick this year).
Old 05-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #28
Franklinnoble
Banned

2012 Post-Season

The curse of "The Policy" returns. Iron Bob was having a career year for his first 14 games... posting an incredible QB rating of 130.9. Then he went down to a hyperextended knee injury. Baxter comes in and plays well... but goes down in the last game of the season with a strained elbow tendon. Both are expected to be out 3-4 weeks. All I've got on the roster now at QB is a rookie undrafted free agent.

The only glimmer of hope is that the Redskins finished 14-2, won the division and home field advantage, and with the first round bye, MAYBE one of our QB's will be ready to go by the Divisional playoff game...

It's Washington versus Philadelphia, and Iron Bob is going limp onto the field to start the game. It's just barely enough, as the Redskins emerge with a 16-14 victory. Iron Bob is now listed with a hyperextended elbow (he's suddenly "Not-So-Iron" Bob). Doubtful for two weeks. Baxter is "probable," and may get the next start in the Conference title game against Chicago (Atlanta didn't make the playoffs this year).

Iron Bob guts it out again, and the Redskins beat the Bears by a score of 28-24. It's a "Beltway Bowl" this year, as Washington faces Baltimore in the Super Bowl. The Colts are a wild-card team that's come a long way to get here, and, in spite of their battered QB's, the Redskins are 2 point favorites going into the game.

Which, is dead-on accurate, as Washington defeats Baltimore by a score of 13-11. Iron Bob is named Super Bowl MVP. Washington has now won three Super Bowls in a row.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

The End of the Dynasty?

Well, at this point, I'm going to stop doing annual reports on the team, as I've proven what I set out to in the first place - you can dominate FOF4 as long as you draft great QB's, RB's, and WR's. The rest of my roster was basically below-average crap.

I won four championships in 11 seasons, four of the last six, and three in a row. I never spent my entire salary cap (in fact, I never got within $4 million of spending all of it on my most expensive roster). My team was profitable every season, and probably will be insanely profitable upon completion of the stadium renovation.

At this point in the game, Iron Bob Ingersoll is second on the all-time passing yards list with 39,747. He's first on the passing TD's list with 315. Rich Butler is the Redskins all-time leading rusher with 7889 yards. He currently has 9630 total, for second on the all time list. He's also tied for second in rushing TD's, with 61.

I'll probably post brief periodic reports here and there, for as long as I play this game out... I'm sort of sentimental about a few of these players now. I also might lift the ban on drafting other players - I'd really like to obtain some decent offensive linemen (any Redskins fan from the 80's can appreciate that).
Old 05-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #30
Pyser
Pro Rookie

so, what does this say about fof4 then?

i still play it and love it, but, man is it easy. every misfit toys dynasty ive ever read had a few title wins easily within a decade.

perhaps someone should try it without doing a opu? still misfit toys, just a new team starting from scratch against already built teams?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #31
Franklinnoble
Banned

What's an OPU?

Even starting from scratch against established teams would only add a few years to the process, from what I can tell. Still, it might be worth a shot.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:39 PM   #32
Pyser
Pro Rookie

opu = one player universe (just create one player, let the game create the rest)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote