Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sharing a good news

I've not talked about it openly around here, but a couple months ago, my dad was diagnosed with cancer cells in his prostate. Being that he is only 61, he decided to have it removed by surgery, so they arranged for that to happen.

He had surgery a little over two weeks ago, to have his prostate removed. From there, the prostate was sent to the lab to test to see if cancer had spread to the outside of it. We were still awaiting news of the results as if it had spread, it would have meant possibly radiation therapy or something like that.

Receptionist at work called me this morning, telling me I had two people who wanted to see me. I never have visitors. It was my parents, they wanted to tell me in person that the tests were negative, my dad is clear.

I'm sure other people have had bouts with cancer before me, and I know some around here have lost a parent already, but I gotta tell ya, that news just made my day, my week, my year.

That is all, just wanted to share it with people.

Have a nice day you all.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sweet. thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's great. We've been fortunate to not only still have our parents with us, but none of them have even had a single serious medical issue to this point. However, as they close in on or have passed 60, the inevitable is going to happen. Stories like this are nice to hear.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Excellent news!! ..for once when talking about cancer. Makes my day too, hearing news like this!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've had relatives survive close bouts with cancer and others who have succumbed to it. Always great to hear of the good outcomes.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Lorena
Unregistered

That's awesome news Frogman, thank goodness.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Congratulations to your father. Hopefully I can be so lucky whenever I get my tumor removed.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Thanks for the comments everyone. Thought this news would make some people feel good, glad to see it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's great. We've been fortunate to not only still have our parents with us, but none of them have even had a single serious medical issue to this point. However, as they close in on or have passed 60, the inevitable is going to happen. Stories like this are nice to hear.

Funny how I see many similarities between you and I, our families, children as well as our parents. As I said, my dad is 61, my mom is not even 60 and both my father and mother in law are just over 60. They are all alive and well and this was the very first time we've had any kind of medical issue that reminded me that they are not getting younger. My parent are both retired now and I was getting the feeling they were just beginning to really enjoy life, seeing them interact with our two sons (2.5 and 9.5 yo) is just pure joy in their eyes. I never really saw it coming, you know, no symptoms you can see, although my dad has told me he felt tired in the last few weeks/months before the surgery. To hear he is clear is such a relief, but it also reminded how important they are to me, to us. I tell ya, I don't remember the last time I hugged my dad as hard as I did this morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Congratulations to your father. Hopefully I can be so lucky whenever I get my tumor removed.

Good luck with that dude, seriously, best of luck. You'll be in my thoughts.

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

Good luck with that dude, seriously, best of luck. You'll be in my thoughts.

FM

It's benign, but it's in my head... Hopefully it will be another 15 years before I have to have it removed.

http://idledreams.net/acoustic.html

Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It's benign, but it's in my head... Hopefully it will be another 15 years before I have to have it removed.

And his twin brother (me) and friends treat him the way HA would treat a friend with a tumor..

we ridicule him mercilessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And his twin brother (me) and friends treat him the way HA would treat a friend with a tumor..

we ridicule him mercilessly.

hold on there, you and lordscarlet are twin brothers??? Is that an openly known fact?

Never known about this. You think you know somebody... ah well, who am I kidding, this is the internet

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

saw the first date on that page and thought that wow, you've had that thing for a while now. Good luck with it, whenever you have to have it removed.

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I didn't know that either! Wow. Good luck.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
vtbub
College Starter

congrats froggie.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
hold on there, you and lordscarlet are twin brothers??? Is that an openly known fact?

Never known about this. You think you know somebody... ah well, who am I kidding, this is the internet

FM

Not to threadjack your very serious thread (sincerely sorry for that, but feel less bad since you're involved in the jacking), but...

I don't know that it was known fact. I've said that I'm a twin before and I've said that he's my brother, dunno that I've said them both at the same time. Not sure anyone would have noticed that much because he just really became active on the board in the last week or two, merely lurked threads I would link him to and post now and then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

It is not widely advertised, but it's out there. I would come on here occasionally for a topic that Wade thought I had some expertise with, and eventually just decided to stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
saw the first date on that page and thought that wow, you've had that thing for a while now. Good luck with it, whenever you have to have it removed.

Thanks. I'm not worried about it. Until it gets gigantic there are no additional effects aside from the hearing loss. I get (OK, I'm supposed to get) an MRI every 6 months to monitor the size of it. Gamma surgery has gotten pretty advanced, and hopefully by the time I get it done will be commonplace.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Not to threadjack your very serious thread (sincerely sorry for that, but feel less bad since you're involved in the jacking), but...

I don't know that it was known fact. I've said that I'm a twin before and I've said that he's my brother, dunno that I've said them both at the same time. Not sure anyone would have noticed that much because he just really became active on the board in the last week or two, merely lurked threads I would link him to and post now and then before.

threadjack is cool, I'm in a good mood today

I remembered you saying you had a twin, but I guess I never saw one where you said that lordscarlet was your brother. And I had seen him kind of come alive onyl very recently. At first I thought he was an alias of somebody who wanted to fly under the radar a bit

It's all cool really, and the thread is serious, but as I said, it is more of a good news thread, and you are not joking about the serious matter anyway.

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Get out of here you jerk. First you make fun of my tumor, then you jack FrogMan's thread. Go punch some puppies and leave us alone.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
It is not widely advertised, but it's out there. I would come on here occasionally for a topic that Wade thought I had some expertise with, and eventually just decided to stick around.

Cool, welcome aboard. FOFC is a nice play to spend time at, at least most of the times it is

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not worried about it. Until it gets gigantic there are no additional effects aside from the hearing loss. I get (OK, I'm supposed to get) an MRI every 6 months to monitor the size of it. Gamma surgery has gotten pretty advanced, and hopefully by the time I get it done will be commonplace.

You have a positive attitude about the whole thing which I think is the best start you can have. One thing I have realized with my dad is that he will never be the same. Not so much physically because I'm pretty he will get to his usual very busy self, but mentally, this has made him realize a lot of things. And to me too. He was never close to dieing, but still, it makes you realize how "fragile" we all are and how much everyday needs to be enjoyed to the fullest.

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Get out of here you jerk. First you make fun of my tumor, then you jack FrogMan's thread. Go punch some puppies and leave us alone.

okay, now I see the brotherly love that I see between my two sons

FM
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
You have a positive attitude about the whole thing which I think is the best start you can have. One thing I have realized with my dad is that he will never be the same. Not so much physically because I'm pretty he will get to his usual very busy self, but mentally, this has made him realize a lot of things. And to me too. He was never close to dieing, but still, it makes you realize how "fragile" we all are and how much everyday needs to be enjoyed to the fullest.

Lucky for me I had this attitude before I was diagnosed. I think everyone should. There's no reason to worry yourself about things you can't control. If something happens, you roll with it. If you can make a change (My doctor was quite surprised that I lowered my cholesterol with diet and exercise), you do it, if you can't, you have to just live with it and not let it effect your happiness.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Good to hear the good news Froggy
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote