Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

FOF Question

Hey, this is an FOF message board after all. Quick question. I'm playing MP and in the midst of signing draft picks. I absolutely want to sign my 1st round pick before training camp. So, my second offer will be the number 4 option (most money, fewest years).

On my first offers to all my picks, I went with option 3 (fewest years, less money). Everybody accepted their deals, but the 1st rounder's offer was withdrawn due to cap room. I intend to cut somebody and make another offer.

So, here's my question. Did the withdrawn offer count as the first offer, leaving me only with one more offer before training camp (meaning I will have to go with option 4); or did it not count as an offer so that I still have 2 tries and thus can go with option 3 on this next offer.

I know that if you are already over the cap in both MP or SP, it won't let you make the offer, but that doesn't seem to help here in figuring it out. Anybody have actual experience with this. My salary cap situation is tight so the cap number between options 3 and 4 are important.

Your help is much appreciated.

Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Bump. No help yet? I could not test this in SP because the rookies accept offers as you make them and then just simply state the offer is not allowed when you get to the guy and make an over cap offer. Thus I can't replicate it.

Come on guys, I need help. My world will fall apart without this answer tonight, when the stage file is due.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

I don't know the answer, but if I am reading correctly, the stage with the first offers has already been done? If that is the case and you try to offer the player another rookie contract, it would say that you have already made a contract offer during this stage, and not let you submit it. If it lets you, then you are good to go.

My gut says that a withdrawn offer does not count since it was never considered by the player.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Bump. No help yet? I could not test this in SP because the rookies accept offers as you make them and then just simply state the offer is not allowed when you get to the guy and make an over cap offer. Thus I can't replicate it.

Come on guys, I need help. My world will fall apart without this answer tonight, when the stage file is due.

I strongly suspect that it's not considered an offer. If the offer is withdrawn for lack of cap space, there's nothing for the player to accept or decline. There's no offer because it was withdrawn. In fact, the help file says: "An asterisk next to an offer means your team does not have the salary cap room to make that offer." If the game explicitly says that you can't make an offer under these conditions, it stands to reason that you can't make an offer under those conditions, and any attempt to do so would not be counted as a valid offer.

Of course, this is just an informed guess. You asked for a response from someone who actually experienced this, which I haven't and probably few have, and is probably why no one responded.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Alright. Thanks for the input. For the sake of the FOFC community, I will be the guinea pig on this and only offer option 3. So we should find out. Of course, if he accepts option 3, then we'll still never know.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Here's the answer: It did not count as an offer.

Unfortunately, I could have avoided the perceived problem if I had properly remembered how FOF worked. I always knew you got 2 shots to sign picks before TC. However, I thought you did both in the second FA stage. Thus, why I needed to know if my offer counted. However, it now comes to me that your second attempt is really outside of the second stage FA period and actually comes in the training camp stage. As soon as I was able to re-make my offer (option 3) to my pick, it should have made it apparent to me the first withdrawn offer did not count.

This was confirmed when I went to give him a second offer today (option 4) and it said that I had already made him an offer and I would get one more attempt right before TC. Just as Joe said.

I did read the help file and it said one offer per stage (plain as day), but I was so stuck on I know I get two offers before TC, that I disregarded it.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It also helps how you order the specific offers. For instance, if you have 5 million in cap space, and 50 players, it is much better for you to offer rounds 1-3 first and get them signe, as there is a good chance at that point you may only need 500k under the cap total to sign picks 4-7. As each of those guys will just ding the cap for whatever their salary is over the minimum(rule of 53).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yeah, but I'm so tight against the cap, I won't even be having 53 (let alone more than that) on my roster at any time in preseason or thereafter.

With making all the offers, I was only going to be a few hundred k over the cap if all accepted. I just assumed some guys would turn me down and I might have some of the low guys holdout, which would have been ok .. but every single one accepted option 3 -- not what I was expecting.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Vinatieri, how do you like being in a Colt uniform?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

It's not too bad. I'd still vote for him today, unless he does something to the Pats this year. This sums up my take in a previous thread:

At first I was dismayed, but then realized something very interesting. I believe this is the genius of Belichick. Knowing the Colts will still be the team to beat, he purposely leaves off the franchise tag and gets Vinatieri to sign for the Colts. First, it eats up precious cap room so no other FAs can sign (so games will be close), and then Vinatieri misses some crucial kicks in the playoffs, when needed. Pure genius. Has no one else figured this out yet? No one outthinks Bill.

Therefore, I will keep the screen name for now while this beautiful plan plays itself out.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

It appears the plan is already put in place.

Step 1: Colts overpay and eat up all cap room
Step 2: Colts don't resign Vandejerk, the most accurate kicker in league history
Step 3: Vinatieri purposely injures his foot in preseason so he can't kick very well
Step 4: It's now too late for Colts to sign anybody decent anymore

Again, this is complete genius by Belichick.