Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Bard's Tale Anyone?

Doing random searches on Amazon.com, I found that they had released a new version of The Bard's Tale. This use to be my favorite game back when I was running on the old C64.

Has anybody tried this new version. If so, what did you think?

Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This was one of my favorites as well, but I hear they wrecked it in this remake. Most reviews I read were quite negative. Therefore, I haven't tried it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone on here has had a positive experience with the game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Well The Bard's Tale is actually just your 3rd person Action/RPG ala the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series and that type of stuff, not at all like the original. I hear it's actually a pretty amusing somewhat fun romp, but don't expect Bard's Tale.

Now there was another game made in the same spirit as Bard's Tale which I hear is very true to the style of the originals, but I can't for the life of me remember the names.

Haven't played it though personally.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Raven Hawk
College Starter

From some reviews that I've read, I've heard that it is amusing, but lacks good game mechanics. There are quite a few mentionings of the game's poor combat system. However, I've heard that the story line is hilarious and pokes fun at the 3rd person Action/RPG genre. I'm trying to figure out if the storyline is good enough to let me tolerate the mechanics. Perhaps if I find a cheap version, I'll pick it up.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Here's the game I was thinking of...

hxxp://www.devilwhiskey.com/main.html

Plays like the old Bard's Tale and Wizardry type games..no clue if it's any good or not, as that's really not my cup 'o tea.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I finally picked up The Bards Tale this past week while taking a break from Mercenaries.

The game is funny and it does poke fun at the entire Action/RPG genre quite a bit. Had me laughing solid in a few spots.

I don't have a problem with the combat system, it's basically a lot of button mashing. The one thing I don't like is the camera angle!! Top down, and objects get in the way all of the time so it gets difficult to see where an enemy is located. The IGN review was spot on.

I'd wait for the price to drop before you buy.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Well, I finally pulled this off the shelf and gave it a go. It was very entertaining at points, and I'll agree with Yellow5 on most points. The top down angle was annoying at times. Also the end is kind of anti climatic. I played through one ending, but I'm doing the "reload last save" trick to play through the others later on. Perhaps I just chose an anti climatic ending.

Still its and enjoyable game and is a fun play if you can pick it up cheap.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Well, I finally pulled this off the shelf and gave it a go. It was very entertaining at points, and I'll agree with Yellow5 on most points. The top down angle was annoying at times. Also the end is kind of anti climatic. I played through one ending, but I'm doing the "reload last save" trick to play through the others later on. Perhaps I just chose an anti climatic ending.

Still its and enjoyable game and is a fun play if you can pick it up cheap.

Dola -

The fight-out endings are just as anti-climatic as the walk-out ending.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Fredzilla
n00b

I whole heartedly reccomend downloading a C-64 emulator and the ROM for Bard's Tale. It's much more fun than the new version.
Fredzilla is offline   Reply With Quote