Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

Question Ottawa Senators...Respect now?

With the Ottawa Senators beating two physical teams in the opening rounds this year do they finally have the toughness and skill to go all the way to the cup? Have they earned the respect of hockey fans and media?

Just a question from a diehard Sens fan who has been waiting 11 years for this.

Canadian Football Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:26 AM   #2
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Of course, the big question is what city the Senators will be playing in next year, because it's looking less and less like it'll be Ottawa.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Not true, they'll be set in Ottawa for at least a year or two, and probably longer if they can win a Cup this year.

I think they have a very good shot at a Cup, although New Jersey will be a test. The pressure's off at this point, and as long as they don't lose focus I think they have to be the favorite of the remaining five.

They need to do something about the diving, though. Yeesh.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I like New Jersey, but Ottawa has had a super year. I wouldn't mind seeing them skate the cup at all. Alfredsson is one of the best players in the league.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

Aside from my beloved Oilers (HA DALLAS HA), Ottawa is a team I'd like to see win it all, especially with all the troubles that team has had this year, and how the players pulled together and continued to play excellent hockey.

As far as respect, I think they're on the verge of getting it, and unless they completely break down against the Devils, they'll get it. As long as the Devils don't win this one in 5 or less, the Senators will be looked upon a lot differently than in previous seasons.

I think this series has the potential to be the best one yet in the playoffs (which isn't saying much, it's been some pretty boring hockey this year aside from the OT dramas), and will produce the Cup winner.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I believe Ottawa is the favorite now....behind them in a close second is New Jersey.

Wow! A playoff without Dallas, Detroil and Colorado. It just doesn't feel right.

The NHL is probably whincing about the ratings for this years Stanley Cup. They are going to be way down if Ottawa and Anaheim make the finals, or NewJersey and Vancouver???
Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Aside from my beloved Oilers (HA DALLAS HA),

Losing with class must be a foreign concept up there in Edmonton.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
Blade
College Prospect

Class? What class? We don't have any class up here in Edmonton! It is too busy snowing up here for that...May 6, and we are expected to get up to 40 cm of snow by tomorrow morning. COME ON!!!

Anyway, talking about ratings, do you think anyone down in the States will turn on the TV if it is an Ottawa-Vancouver final? Other than maybe the die-hard hockey fans?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:00 AM   #9
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Losing with class must be a foreign concept up there in Edmonton.

Oh for the love of soya sauce. So I take a little pleasure in watching the top seed in the West get bounced. As far as class, I probably don't have any, but give me a break, they've knocked us out of the playoffs, what, 5 of the last 6 times we've faced them? Let me have my small, tiny, nearly insignificant victories. It makes me feel like a better person, really.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:04 AM   #10
Karim
College Starter

ABC has already had the playoff schedule handed to them. Hell with 50 years of tradition, they want Saturday afternoon hockey, dammit! Must save prime time for the NBA.

Then they delayed Game 4 of the Minn/Van series by 1 hour, only to drop coverage completely at the last second.

Never mind, scheduling three games on one night, followed by no games the following night.

Now the execs. say they aren't willing to pay even half of what they did for the rights next year.

I don't understand the logic behind giving the reigns to people who don't give a shit about hockey.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Oh for the love of soya sauce. So I take a little pleasure in watching the top seed in the West get bounced. As far as class, I probably don't have any, but give me a break, they've knocked us out of the playoffs, what, 5 of the last 6 times we've faced them? Let me have my small, tiny, nearly insignificant victories. It makes me feel like a better person, really.

Point taken.
Continue your victory dance, young Edmontonian.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #12
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I don't get this whole "we don't get any respect" business. Ottawa is the 1 seed, I think they are getting plenty of respect, but the fact is, you still have to win the games.

Hey, there is a hockey thread at the top stickied for us you know!
Old 05-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #13
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Though I am now a Canes fan, my second favorite team (and for the longest time since they were founded, my favorite team) is the Senators. Until they came in, I really didn't have a rooting interest in hockey. I paid attention to who won the Stanley Cup, but being from the South, I didn't much get into any of the teams that existed before the wave of expansion that began in the early 90s. I liked that Ottawa got a team and was calling it Senators and I dug the jerseys (I still have a replica hanging in my closet). Had to latch on to something, I guess. Those first few years were rough to follow. Then the Whalers moved to North Carolina and I followed them casually along with the Senators. However, my first allegiance switched fully to Carolina when they went on the run to the Cup finals last year. Yes, it's bandwagonning to some extent, but I haven't fallen off, even after this year's disaster. But, I'm happy to see the Sens doing well after all the years of struggle as an expansion team and now as a team in financial straits. It gives me a rooting interest, though I do have to say I am enjoying all the "traditional" teams go down, giving the Cup playoffs some fresh blood to work with. New Jersey's the only team left that has hoisted the Cup, correct? And only the Canucks have gone to the Final (as a franchise, not as a city, in which case you'd include Minnesota) besides them.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #14
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

The team is going to be sold and it could be before the end of the playoffs if teh Sens make it to the cup. Eugene Melnyk(sp) a Canadian billionaire living in Barbados is reported to have come to an agreement with the creditors to buy the team and the Corel Centre for around $150 million. He is the chairmain of a pharmaceutical company called Biovail and has said the Senators will be staying put and the team will be staying together.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=40602
Old 05-08-2003, 12:19 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's good news...

I'm hoping for the Sens to meet the Canucks in the final, although I still can't decide if the Sens are a feel-good story or the most unlikable team in left in the playoffs.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:25 PM   #17
bbor
Pro Starter

no

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote