Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
mckerney
Coordinator

Wink This reminds me of someone...

I was on ESPN.com and saw a title on one of their sidebards that seemed familiar to me, though I couldn't quite put my finger on who or what it reminded me of.

http://love.msn.com/men/article3.asp

How to act like a real man
by Jordan Stein, for AskMen.com

There's no question about your penchant for sports, your thoughtful -- and frequent -- reflections on women and that diminishing hairline you like to call a widow's peak. After all, you are a man. So why does life often insist on treating you as less than such?
Maybe your conduct doesn't do you justice. In other words, you aren't paying enough heed to your inner-masculine child.

Well, that's about to stop. As a proponent of your success, I have compiled a small list of decorum dos and don'ts to ensure your words and deeds match the testosterone pumping through your veins. So if it's manliness you seek, it's manliness you shall attain:

Learn to talk the talk
Slang can be cool, but if your vernacular is entirely comprised of colloquialisms, people will tune you out. The wrong rhetoric can impede even the best ideas. If you're tired of your thoughts falling on deaf ears, ameliorate your speech with as much literature as you can eyeball. Novels, biographies, magazines, and newspapers will help you build a more developed vocabulary.

Get the news
Short of that, there is a lazy man's solution: watch news channels. The talking heads on 24-hour news networks have a superior command of the language. Listening to them frequently will help you to speak better as well.

While you're at it, drop lame catchphrases like "it's all good," "don't go there" and "you da man" from your vocabulary. These buzz sayings had a place in the pop culture lexicon of the late '90s, but have since been exhausted by mall rats and MTV VJs.

Develop your voice
While the tone and pitch of your voice are mostly out of your control, I have it on good authority that a squeaky voice isn't an aphrodisiac. If you tend to hit the high notes, try imitating Harrison Ford and Clint Eastwood. Now, those guys can talk.

Who could I possibly be thinking of...

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

hmmmmmmm
Old 05-07-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

NOW Thats a toughie...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

You gotta be thinking of SkyDog. I mean, he doesn't have a squeaky voice, does he???

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You know, mc, I though the exact same thing when I saw that. I'm glad you had the balls to bring it up, while I just wimped out and posted some drivel from ESPN about IOC torture. Should have gone with the more sensational item.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote