Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
SuburbanPimp
Mascot

Angry Jordan is OUT with the Wizards!!

Alright, here's a rant from one of the few, the proud, the diehard Bullets/Wizards fans.

I am thoroughly disgusted.

When Jordan came here a couple of years ago, it was as if we could finally see that small light at the end of the tunnel. As much as everyone in the DC area loves the Redskins (and I am proudly one of them), Washington DC was dying to be a basketball town. Christ, when the MYSTICS has the best attendance in the WNBA for all of their three years of existence, that's proof enough that we love basketball around here. When Jordan was able to get Juwan Howard, Mitch Richmond & Rod Strickland out of here, we thought that this was only the beginning, and that every high-priced free agent would take a serious look at Washington, with the opportunity to not just play for, but play with the greatest player to ever touch a basketball.

Yeah, Jordan took a lot of shots. Yeah, I think guys like Stackhouse and Hughes should have had more shots. Yeah, I think Doug Collins was way too hard on Kwame Brown, and I still believe that Kwame will become a premiere player in this league, if everyone here just have patience. But, for two years, Jordan sold out every home game, and the Wizards had far and away the best attendance in the league. The Wizards went from "Oh, that's the old Bullets, right?" to a preseason pick to be a sleeper team in the Eastern Conference. We didn't care if Jordan ran the team from Chicago, he was running our team, and that was enough. Now, the legend is gone, and where do we go from here?

Yes, the owner of the Clippers is the worst owner in the NBA. But, ABE POLLIN is a close second. The destruction of this relationship is Pollin's doing, and for a very long time now, Abe Pollin has been the CANCER of the Washington Bullets/Wizards franchise. Wes Unseld, a legendary player for our franchise, had absolutely no business in the front office, but was there because he was Pollin's friend till the end. Thanks to the Pollin/Unseld "dynasty", Ben Wallace was traded for Ike Austin, Rasheed Wallace was traded for Rod Strickland, Chris Webber was traded for Mitch Richmond, and Richard Hamilton was dealt for Stackhouse. Yes, Unseld is gone now, but with Abe Pollin as the owner, a man who will not keep the correct front office people, nor spend the money to put a contender on the floor, the curse of the old Bullets will continue to haunt this franchise.

Unfortunately, I have no way to contact Michael Jordan. But if I could, I would apologize for Pollin's stupidity, and I would thank him for two of the most exciting years in Washington's sports history. I'm confident that had he stayed as GM, the Wizards would not only get to the playoffs one day, but would be a sure contender to get into the NBA Finals, and maybe one day...one day...bring home that championship, the championship that we see award to team after team, while we sit empty-handed. I wasn't even born when the Bullets won their last title, so when I go to the MCI Center and see that championship banner, I don't know what it felt like.

At this point, I don't know if I'll ever know what it feels like. Until Abe Pollin sells this franchise that I love, I will not be the only one to ever know.

SuburbanPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
tucker342
Pro Starter

Big mistake by the Wizards...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
CAsterling
High School JV

Re: Jordan is OUT with the Wizards!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SuburbanPimp
As much as everyone in the DC area loves the Redskins (and I am proudly one of them

I bloody well don't love the Redskins, to me they are more like a bad soap opera than a football team - and yes I know I took this quote slightly out of context, but I couldn't let that comment pass without rebuttal !!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm, something strange is brewing, or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Now that he's not associated with Washington's front office he would be free to say, return to Chicago for 1 final season. I am not a fan of his but seeing him retire as a Wizard just isn't right.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote