Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Charlotte franchise down to three names

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...nickname_x.htm

Charlotte narrows nickname list to three
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte's new NBA team is ready to take Flight. Maybe.
Charlotte "Flight" was one of three finalists announced Tuesday for the name of Bob Johnson's expansion franchise. "Bobcats" and "Dragons" are also being considered.

"We have three distinct possibilities with those names, three distinct directions we can go in," said team vice president Ed Tapscott. "We're looking for something that's unique, something that people will respond positively to and something that will offer us the ability to effectively merchandise our product."

A winner is to be announced next month after feedback from the public. However, Johnson, who paid $300 million for the expansion team, will make the final decision.

"Flight" would link to North Carolina's status as "First in Flight," a motto found on the state's license plates. This year marks the centennial of Wilbur and Orville Wright's first powered flight on North Carolina's Outer Banks.

"Bobcats" would be a nod to Johnson and would continue the feline theme established by Charlotte's other pro team, the NFL Panthers.

"Dragons" has no obvious local link.

"Bobcats is a more traditional name, it's animal, a cat and it is indigenous to this country," Tapscott said. "Dragons is not used by any other pro sports team in this country. It's a mystical figure, so it represents quite a bit of freedom to do some interesting logo and merchandising concepts.

"And Flight is a concept name. Of course here in North Carolina it is part of the license plate and it gives us a unique branding element."

The team is to begin play in 2004-05, taking the place of the Hornets, who moved to New Orleans last year.

The three finalists for the team name were whittled down from a list of nearly 1,200 suggestions the team received from the community. Johnson's group used several focus groups and spent nearly $100,000 researching the names and their trademark status and designing possible logos.

Team officials cut the list to 10 to 12 names, then matched them with potential colors, graphic designs and mascots.

Johnson has hired Chicago's NVU Productions to help develop the logos.

Noticeably missing from the list of finalists was "Cougars," a nickname widely speculated to be the frontrunner because of Charlotte's old ABA team.

"You have some folks who really buy into Cougars," Tapscott said. "The age demographic that goes for Cougars is a slightly older age demographic, people who recognize the Cougars from the ABA days.

"But among a lot of the younger people, there was not a lot of reference to the Cougars."

Initial reaction on local Internet message boards to the three finalists was lukewarm.

"Those names are all horrible," one posting read. "I really hope the team somehow ends up with a name that is not now on the final list."

That's what happened in 1987 when owner George Shinn was naming his Charlotte NBA team.

Originally "Spirit" was selected, but Shinn changed it to Hornets, a name sparked by General Charles Cornwallis during the Revolutionary War.

Here's my complaint, why haven't the New Orlean Hornets change their name to the Voodoo! I think that's a great name for a franchise...anyone with me on this?!?

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Those all stink...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Re: Charlotte franchise down to three names

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot

Here's my complaint, why haven't the New Orlean Hornets change their name to the Voodoo! I think that's a great name for a franchise...anyone with me on this?!?

I am pretty sure the new arena football team that will start playing in new orleans (next season?) will be the New Orleans Voodoo. I really wish we could get the name Jazz back....seems like it fits New Orleans a little better than Utah.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

All teams in Louisiana should be named the Swamp Rats.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
tucker342
Pro Starter

All of those names suck
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

How about calling them the "Sucks?"

Now there's a concept name with potential.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

Charlotte's Web would be a good name.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Critch
Charlotte's Web would be a good name.

Gay
Old 05-06-2003, 04:32 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The New Orleans Flight sounds like some stupid WNBA team. How can you possibly expect people to take your team seriously when your team name has serious credibility issues?

Thankfully baseball, football, hockey, and basketball teams were named a while ago as the new names are hit and miss. Devil Rays? Diamondbacks? Those are pretty bad. Marlins and Rockies were pretty good, tho, as were Jags and Panthers. Heck, I really think the Lightning and Hurricanes are good. But the Wild?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Charlotte Harlots.

Think of the mascot possibilities.

And the theme song could be the Iron Maiden song.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
Ksyrup

I like the Diamondbacks. More creative than Rattlers. Or Snakes. And it certainly fits with Arizona.

I was living in Central Florida when the Devil Rays name was chosen. The biggest complaint was that the word "devil" was used, and "ray" backwards spells Yar, the devil's dog. Got the religious folks all up in arms. Seriously.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Yar, huh? Is the devil's dog a pirate dog? Does he have a patch over one eye?

"Yarrrr...where's me chew toy, matey..?"

Old 05-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Charlotte Harlots.

Think of the mascot possibilities.

And the theme song could be the Iron Maiden song.

Damn it! Ya beat me to it!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
bryce
High School Varsity

i know the answer to this question is undoubtedly money, but what are the gory details behind the logic of moving charlotte to new orleans and then making charlotte start all over with another expansion team, rather than just giving the expansion team to NO and keeping the hornets in charlotte?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Same deal with the Baltimore-Cleveland NFL fiasco.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM   #16
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Personally i like Dragons, always a name i use when making up team names in sports games, Cougars would be good too, but i;m a WSU fan.......New Orleans should be Spiders....i just like how it sounds, the s's roll into each other and there is NO Spiders pro team around now days
Old 05-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #17
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
The New Orleans Flight sounds like some stupid WNBA team. SI

That was exactly the thought that went through my mind when I saw that name as well. Pretty pathetic choices, they all sound like minor-league team names.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:12 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Dragons" has no obvious local link.
I love this quote from the story. "Hm... I suppose the mythical creatures have no local link."

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-06-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bryce
i know the answer to this question is undoubtedly money, but what are the gory details behind the logic of moving charlotte to new orleans and then making charlotte start all over with another expansion team, rather than just giving the expansion team to NO and keeping the hornets in charlotte?

I agree completely. It shows how screwed up the NBA is. As they were allowing the Hornets to leave, they were promising an expansion team ... Uhh, why not just sell the Hornets to the new owner, and let the old Hornets owner take over the expansion team in New Orleans?

I think all sports leagues should be run like this:

1. Owner informs league of desire to move team.
2. League attempts to sell that team at market value and keep it local.
3. If a new owner cannot be found within a resaonable time (1 season), the league then allows the owner to move the team.

That way only markets that truly can support teams will keep them, and you won't see any moving for purely financial motives (the new orleans move, cleveland browns, winnipeg jets). I think this would be most fair for the fans and owners.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #20
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola.

and yes, all those names totally suck.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:21 PM   #21
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
The New Orleans Flight sounds like some stupid WNBA team. How can you possibly expect people to take your team seriously when your team name has serious credibility issues?

Thankfully baseball, football, hockey, and basketball teams were named a while ago as the new names are hit and miss. Devil Rays? Diamondbacks? Those are pretty bad. Marlins and Rockies were pretty good, tho, as were Jags and Panthers. Heck, I really think the Lightning and Hurricanes are good. But the Wild?

SI

It would be the Charlotte Flight, not New Orleans...New Orleans is staying as the Hornets (though I think it should be changed to the Voodoo).

And yes I think all three names stink...

And yes I think SI meant Charlotte when he said New Orleans...but I'm clarifying anyway.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #22
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

dola

I like the name Wild...I like the logo...I like the colors...it's one of the better ones...god the Toronto Raptors?!? Ick...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 05-06-2003, 07:51 PM   #23
Jets80
High School Varsity

All three names do suck. The public opinion here in charlotte has expressed that same feeling on the local sports radio shows.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #24
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

"Dragons is not used by any other pro sports team in this country"

New York Dragons of the Arena Football League...they DO get paid...therefore they ARE professionals by definition.

Hey! I'm just reporting the news! Get off my back!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #25
Easy Mac

Actually, having lived 40 miles from Charlotte for 8 yearso f my life, it is obvious USA Today has no idea what they are talking about.

The Charlotte AAA baseball team is known as the Knights. Their mascot is Homer the Dragon. I think it would be good to reach out to their fans and keeping with the local feel of the name.

At least research something before you print something unfactual.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #26
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Go ahead and call them the flight, they'll probably be taking flight to another city in 10 years. ouch.
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would be the Charlotte Flight, not New Orleans...New Orleans is staying as the Hornets (though I think it should be changed to the Voodoo).

And yes I think all three names stink...

And yes I think SI meant Charlotte when he said New Orleans...but I'm clarifying anyway.

Oops- that's what I meant, yeah.

SI

Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Uhh, why not just sell the Hornets to the new owner, and let the old Hornets owner take over the expansion team in New Orleans?

From what I recall, Shipp refused to sell the Hornets. He was the only reason that they didn't get a new arena (the Charlotte citizens hate him and refused to vote for the referendum), and I guess to get back at them he kept the team. I'm pretty sure the NBA tried to get him to sell it...

Old 05-07-2003, 01:29 AM   #29
jerem77
Mascot

Re: Re: Charlotte franchise down to three names

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
I am pretty sure the new arena football team that will start playing in new orleans (next season?) will be the New Orleans Voodoo. I really wish we could get the name Jazz back....seems like it fits New Orleans a little better than Utah.

Utah and New Orleans should switch nicknames. Hornets would be a better nickname for Utah too since it is the honey bee state.

While I'm at it Los Angeles should give the Lakers name back to Minnesota. :P
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:31 AM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
From what I recall, Shipp refused to sell the Hornets. He was the only reason that they didn't get a new arena (the Charlotte citizens hate him and refused to vote for the referendum), and I guess to get back at them he kept the team. I'm pretty sure the NBA tried to get him to sell it...

but the league runs the league!!! argghgh!

tell him, "you're not moving the fucking franchise, period. If you move, we're going to put a new team there anyway, so we'll save ourselves the embarassment. Mr. Shipp, If you're interested in having a team in new orleans, we will allow you to sell the hornets and purchase an expansion team. If you don't comply, we will force you out as owner."
Old 05-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #31
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
but the league runs the league!!! argghgh!

tell him, "you're not moving the fucking franchise, period. If you move, we're going to put a new team there anyway, so we'll save ourselves the embarassment. Mr. Shipp, If you're interested in having a team in new orleans, we will allow you to sell the hornets and purchase an expansion team. If you don't comply, we will force you out as owner."

Exactly. The owners vote on if he can move.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

I like the name Wild...I like the logo...I like the colors...it's one of the better ones...god the Toronto Raptors?!? Ick...

I like the way they play.

Woohoo! 2-0 lead going to another game 7!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:13 PM   #33
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola:

Yes, those names do suck. Most hattrick teams have better names.

That's it! The Charlotte Screamin' Seamen!

Either than or Colossal Squids...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote