vtbub
College Starter

So he wasn't a Wiz

Mikey's gone read here.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

So much for Abe's legendary loyalty. MJ sells out MCI Arena for 82 straight games, draws all of 2 mill in salary all with the understanding that he will get his job back once he finishes lining Abe's pockets.

I guess Abe didn't have a problem with Unseld fucking up the franchise year after year, but suddenly MJ is second coming of ML Carr? Come on...

Curse of Les Boulez, baby...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
So much for Abe's legendary loyalty. MJ sells out MCI Arena for 82 straight games, draws all of 2 mill in salary all with the understanding that he will get his job back once he finishes lining Abe's pockets.

I guess Abe didn't have a problem with Unseld fucking up the franchise year after year, but suddenly MJ is second coming of ML Carr? Come on...

Curse of Les Boulez, baby...

Was Jordan run out of town by Abe? I got the impression there was a lot of mutual dissatisfaction... besides, Jordan has a chance at a clean slate (and a 100% free salary cap) in Charlotte now... if you ask me, that's a better situation than what he'd have in Washington.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Let's face it: Jesus couldn't turn the Wizards into a winner.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Let's face it: Jesus couldn't turn the Wizards into a winner.

Of course not. But we're not talking about Jesus, dammit, this is Michael Jordan!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #6
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Was Jordan run out of town by Abe? I got the impression there was a lot of mutual dissatisfaction... besides, Jordan has a chance at a clean slate (and a 100% free salary cap) in Charlotte now... if you ask me, that's a better situation than what he'd have in Washington.

I didn't think he was forced out either, until I saw this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../050703-6v.htm

(you need real player to view it)
Old 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
Of course not. But we're not talking about Jesus, dammit, this is Michael Jordan!

Well, Jesus may not be able to guard Jordan 1-on-1, but you have to admit, he'd probably be better in a management role - his salary cap wizardry is unparalleled... he drafted 12 apostles and didn't pay them a nickel... Aside from losing Iscariot to free agency, I'd say he handled his personnel pretty well.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
I didn't think he was forced out either, until I saw this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../050703-6v.htm

(you need real player to view it)

I abhor Real Player. Care to summarize?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #9
John Galt
Pro Starter

It says there was no actual meeting. The press release was done beforehand and the Wiz decided to force him out. They also say all of Jordan's people will also be canned.

Also, the reporter says that he probably won't go to Charlotte either, but he wasn't totally clear on why.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
It says there was no actual meeting. The press release was done beforehand and the Wiz decided to force him out. They also say all of Jordan's people will also be canned.

Also, the reporter says that he probably won't go to Charlotte either, but he wasn't totally clear on why.

Well, I can't say I'm a big fan of Les Boulez... although I did grow up there, and I've always enjoyed reading Tony Kornheiser ragging on them... but this is a really disappointing development.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Jordan the exec was, and likely will be, a washout. His work ethic was terrible, and he wasn't all that great when he was actually doing his job, either.

He may have been great on the court, but in the front office, he's no Joe Dumars.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Jordan the exec was, and likely will be, a washout. His work ethic was terrible, and he wasn't all that great when he was actually doing his job, either.

He may have been great on the court, but in the front office, he's no Joe Dumars.

That may be... but he brought a lot of fans to the Wizards home games when he gave up his exec. title and ownership stake in the team, and the deal was he'd get it back when he was done playing.

It's pretty shitty of Pollin to welch on the deal after he's already reaped the benefits of inflated ticket sales the last two years.

Maybe his work ethic sucked... but, at the least, he's done no worse than Wes Unseld and the gang when it comes to putting a winner on the court in D.C., and, in fact, the Wizards salary cap is in much better shape now than it was when he started. Sure, he made some ill-advised trades and draft pics... but name a Wizards/Bullets exec who's done better in the last 20 years...

The basketball gods will continue to frown upon Les Boulez, and the curse will continue indefinately...

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-07-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
... but name a Wizards/Bullets exec who's done better in the last 20 years...

For the Wizards or for another team?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:29 PM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought he was walking away with $10M or so. That's what I read yesterday, I haven't read the follow-up stories. If so, that's hardly being thrown out on the pavement.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I thought he was walking away with $10M or so. That's what I read yesterday, I haven't read the follow-up stories. If so, that's hardly being thrown out on the pavement.

$10 Million isn't going to make or break Michael Jordan. I don't think this is really about money for him.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
For the Wizards or for another team?

Good point... the Wizards personnel moves in the last 20 years have been good for lots of other teams.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

I think this just caps the end of a failed, sad attempt at a comeback. Yes, Jordan put up 40+ a few times and was remarkable for his age, but it's slightly overshadowed my earlier impression of him. Worst of all, it did perceptably nothing to improve his team other (not counting the finanical sellouts and increase in jersey sales) and likely hurt it - they would probably be in the Lebron lottery without him, and the youger guys would have had more playing time.

Now on top of everything else, he's lost his front office job, and it may tarnish any future opportunities for him in this area.

edited for addition.

Last edited by moriarty : 05-07-2003 at 02:24 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Good point... the Wizards personnel moves in the last 20 years have been good for lots of other teams.

Webber
Garnett
Ben Wallace
Rip Hamilton
Michael Jordan

That could have easily been their starting five this year...
Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #19
Subby
lolzcat

Dola

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
Now on top of everything else, he's lost his front office job, and it may tarnish any future opportunities for him in this area.
The Wizards organization is viewed as provincial at best around the league. I bet there are a number of owners who would like to have some of the MJ magic rub off on their franchise.

Whether or not the Wizards are in better or worse shape is debatable. MJ did a very good job of clearing salary cap space. His worst moves were probably his coach hiring decisions. Leonard Hamilton was a disaster and Doug Collins is too high strung to be an effective coach...

Last edited by Subby : 05-07-2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:58 PM   #20
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Dola

The Wizards organization is viewed as provincial at best around the league. I bet there are a number of owners who would like to have some of the MJ magic rub off on their franchise.

Whether or not the Wizards are in better or worse shape is debatable. MJ did a very good job of clearing salary cap space. His worst moves were probably his coach hiring decisions. Leonard Hamilton was a disaster and Doug Collins is too high strung to be an effective coach...

I actually meant the team was worse off by his playing again, not his front office moves. Although Kwame Brown has yet to pan out.

I also think his future opportunities might be hurt more by the reasons behind his layoff (i.e. the rumors of his poor work ethic) than by his success or lack thereof in the Wizards office.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:03 PM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

I also think his future opportunities might be hurt more by the reasons behind his layoff (i.e. the rumors of his poor work ethic) than by his success or lack thereof in the Wizards office.

I doubt that. From a PR standpoint, he didn't do anything to embarass the organization... that'd be about the only thing that would keep another team from taking a shot with him. Just having him in the owner's box would put a few more butts in the seats every night...
Old 05-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #22
moriarty
College Starter

Would you really go to a game just because Jordan is sitting in the owners box? I wouldn't.

Maybe it put a few more fans in the seats when it gave the Wizards hopes ... and they were desparate to latch onto some positive sign. But the novelty has worn off. I can't imagine Jordan's presence in the front office having an impact on attendence ... maybe in Chicago, but still.

[edited addition] If this was the case, why didn't Washington keep him around?

Last edited by moriarty : 05-07-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
[edited addition] If this was the case, why didn't Washington keep him around?
Because MJ didn't get along with Susan O'Malley and everyone in DC knows she is practically Abe's adopted daughter. Just ask John Nash - you cross La Sooz and your ass is out on Fun Street in no time...
Old 05-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #24
tucker342
Pro Starter

Big mistake by the Wizards...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

I still don't get why this is a big mistake - well, at least not until we see his replacement.

Subby, since you're in DC, do you really know people that were planning on seeing Wizard games just because he was in the front office?

Yes, he unloaded some players which 'helped' with the cap, but what did he get in return? Stackhouse - good, but can't carry a team. Laetner, Lue? I love the 'sure he made some bad trades, coaching decisions, draft picks, etc.. BUT ...". Those are reasons enough to let someone in his job go (unless of course you work for the Knicks).

I'm not saying he's any worse than the guys they've had there before, but I also don't think he was any better.