Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Question Fantasy football, good website for advice?

I'm thinking of playing fantasy football for the 2nd time ever and I'm looking for a website that will give me some tips and so forth. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm mostly a noob in this department, but I did play fantasy baseball for several decades.

And since I missed the boat the first time, is there any interest on a SECOND FOFC fantasy football league?

Thanks in advance guys

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

I'd tell you to not worry about the websites. Pick up 2 or 3 magazines and read them cover to cover to get a great idea on things. I also typically put together an average of whatever magazines I do get.

My favorite magazine has been fanball and I belive they've helped me to two title games in a row. (they do have a website as well) In addition, I picked up Sporting News this year but I think the quality of their magazine is much lower this year than in the past.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
SuperGrover
Mascot

Sporting News sucks. I like Fanball because their mag is genuinely funny and has pictures of hot chicks. Plus, we use their software (easily the best on the 'Net although they do have server issues early every season). I used to like Fantasy Football Guys but now EVERYTHING is premium.

Just get a couple mags and pay attention to mock drafts (antsports.com is fantastic for that). Oh and don't take a QB until late.
SuperGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
molson
General Manager

I've used fantasysharks.com in the past - it looks like its still mostly free. It's a mix of columns/projections.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

I agree with Grover. Over the past three seasons, I've pushed taking a QB unless it's Manning until about round 5 or 6. I got Brady last year in the 6th round and I got Bulger in the 5th of my other league. Depending on how much you want to take a chance, I think Manning and Palmer are the only QBs I would consider taking early. Pick up a couple of RBs and a couple of WRs first.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the tips guys...any particular mags you'd recommend?

I'll see if I can find that fanball mag and maybe one more. Good times
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Fantasy Football Index is pretty much the realiable standard

i've found everything else to be garbage
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have Fanball this year, and do find the writing to be funny in certain parts.

When picking a magazine, I just stayed at a bookstore for an hour or so, browsing through all the options. I looked for arguments I agreed with, useful sorting, etc.

For example, I can't remember which magazine it was, but there was one that only listed players alphabetically in each position... I prefer a numbered ranking, and making notes beside each player. However, that's kind of hard in Fanball, so I use a legend now instead.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Footballguys.com.

Seriously... the rest is pretty much kids stuff.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Magazines? They are a waste of time. They have good information to get you started, but the material in them is written months before the season starts. If you want up to date information, you need to use a website.

I have used footballguys.com for about 4 years. I am looking for a new one this year because 6 of the 10 guys in my league use Football guys. You can't beat what they give you during the season, either.

Draftsharks.com is a good one but they cost a lot compared to the others.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I've used the footballguys VBD file for quite some time. I can't endorse it enough particularly if nobody else in your league takes that approach.

On footballsharks I really like Tony Holm's progo articles.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
Riggins44
High School JV

4for4.com
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

The fantasy football mags go to press by June at the latest. Don't waste your money on them, websites have up-to-date information.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

The fantasy football magazines will update for near season info probably by next week if they haven't already. Many of the magazines will anyway. I would again recommend Fanball as a magazine. While funny, there's a lot to the magazine and it's solid.

What all of us are saying here is one way or another, do some research. Don't just go by a list you get somewhere. Read, Read, and Read.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

I find the best source of information to be the local papers for each team, most of which you can read their articles online for free. I have ESPN Insider and they compile links to articles on each team. Reading about an hour a day, you can get as good an idea as goes on.

Like rowech said, read, read, read. Christ Mortenson is as connected as any NFL reporter. TPF's "the way we hear it" also has good information. Ourlads.com has depth charts for each team available free (I think much of their other content is commercial).
Old 08-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Is Rotowire (magazine and website) any good?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote