Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
Adamski47
High School JV

MOBILE Wireless Broadband or WiFi (Sprint)

I'm assuming this isn't as easy as buying the $50-$60 card for your laptop. Is there a monthly fee? I currently have unlimited web/internet through Sprint for my cell phone. Can I simply use this?

I guess I'm trying to figure this all out as I've heard stories of people using their phones for mobile internet access to their laptops. Ideally, I'm hoping and praying that this is possible w/o the use of my cell phone and w/o a monthly charge. But, that wouldn't be America!

Last edited by Adamski47 : 08-09-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Adamski47
High School JV

bump
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
I'm assuming this isn't as easy as buying the $50-$60 card for your laptop. Is there a monthly fee? I currently have unlimited web/internet through Sprint for my cell phone. Can I simply use this?

I guess I'm trying to figure this all out as I've heard stories of people using their phones for mobile internet access to their laptops. Ideally, I'm hoping and praying that this is possible w/o the use of my cell phone and w/o a monthly charge. But, that wouldn't be America!

Not entirely sure on this, I think their WiMax is just announded (aka not out yet technology isn't it?).

Sprint does make some EVDO cards though that you can slide into your PCMIA slot on your laptop, but these aren't 'linked' to your phone. Essentially this allows you to surf the net anywhere you can get a Sprint signal and supposedly works well on the move (like surfing the net while you ride in a cab). From talking with folks it sounds like speeds are 'close to DSL' but not as fast as cable. I guess that all depends on how fast your DSL or cable currently is though. I'm not sure i'd use it for online gaming, but regular surfing sounds ok.

Prices look like they're $39.99 a month w/ limited download capabilities, and $59.99 per month unlimited (if you have a sprint plan). Seems rather pricey to me and at a bandwidth hit ... unless you travel around alot with your laptop.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Celeval
Pro Starter

One of my coworkers essentially opens up his phone's broadband capability, connects to his phone via bluetooth, and gets his internet access through that.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One thing I've seen is that EVDO cards seem to cause all sorts of blue screens if not configured properly. Seen a lot of that lately.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote