Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Phoenix
Mascot

Which NFL team had the best offseason?

make your case here...

My Bills picked up Peerless and the A-train...

goin' all the way baby!!!

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

what
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

The Bengals off-season was all about the recovery of our Golden Boy. Picking up Sam Adams and Dexter Jackson was huge. Madieu Williams getting healthy again makes the secondary very tough.

It all depends on Palmer. If he comes back legit, I think they're the team to beat in the AFC if they can survive their brutal away schedule.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Phoenix
Mascot

exactly --- it's the tough road games at the end that'll get'cha
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

YO PHOENIX MAN
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Phoenix
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
YO PHOENIX MAN

Yo mon, what's up mon?

Yo mon, what's up mon?

Yo mon, what's up mon?

(keep singing over and over)
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

I know it wasn't my Niners.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Phoenix
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I know it wasn't my Niners.

They shouldn't have traded away Ken Dorsey.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I think the Saints had a great offseason. New coaching staff, new QB, one of the most hyped in coming rookies in a long time...and the team just cut a lot of dead weight. I think we are a long ways from a playoff spot (mostly on defense) but it was a huge turn aruond this season.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The Lions just for not drafting a receiver in the first round
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix

Thought that was actually a very good move. Dilfer is a much better backup than Dorsey.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Lions just for not drafting a receiver in the first round

it wont be a good offseason till they dump Millen
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I am intrigued by the Cardinals. Could this be the year that they finally get an O-Line that works and a running game? Or is this the end of Edge's career?

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #14
Phoenix
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
I am intrigued by the Cardinals. Could this be the year that they finally get an O-Line that works and a running game? Or is this the end of Edge's career?

The edge is solid (like most UM guys) and still has a few miles left on him - he's tough, BUT DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Old 07-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #15
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
make your case here...

Based on this, Miami, NE & NY Jets all had good offseasons
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I look at Carolina, just picking up Keyshawn takes a lot of double coverages away from Smith and being able to maintain their squad was good.

But the Cardinals I think did awesome this offseason.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Phoenix
Mascot

who exactly did the Cardinals bring in other than the Edge that make it an awesome offseason?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #18
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
who exactly did the Cardinals bring in other than the Edge that make it an awesome offseason?

Drafted Matt Leinart? Got a new stadium? Found a new big & tall store for Denny Green?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Edge was a major grab, drafting Leinart at QB was another win. Lutui at G and Pope at TE were great selections.

And if Todd Watkins makes the WR corp, he will be one of your fastest guys out there.

Besides the new stadium, they also picked up a solid Line Coach with Steve Loney to help get some attitude with the OL.

Oh, and almost every draft expert gave them top ratings in the draft this season.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Its hard not to give it to the Redskins. They got their #2 and #3 recievers, a #1 pass rush end and a starting SS. Now they overpaid for each one of them, but they undoubtedly upgraded both the offense and defense and have to be considered Super Bowl material.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

I agree about Arizona. I think years from now people will look at Leinart and wonder what the hell Oakland, the Jets, Detroit, etc. were thinking.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Its hard not to give it to the Redskins. They got their #2 and #3 recievers, a #1 pass rush end and a starting SS. Now they overpaid for each one of them, but they undoubtedly upgraded both the offense and defense and have to be considered Super Bowl material.

For me, the Redskins were there last season, and adding the few pieces doesn't make it to me, a great off-season, and over spending, doesn't make it sit well.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

Actually, I think their biggest acquisition was their new offensive coordinator. But I agree - if Brunell has another good year, or Campbell is ready to go, they could be very good this season.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, you have to remember a few things about the Cardinals:

1) They weren't nearly as bad as the standing would indicate. They finished in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive yardage. They weren't that bad in forced turnovers or sacks.

2) They had two major weaknesses and they kind of played into one another. They were the worst running team in the league. And they finished -10 in turnover ratio. Many of those turnovers were given away in the red zone, where the Cards also struggled. James by himself fixes some of that. Add in a solid G they grabbed in the second round and that'll help even more.

3) They snagged a good future QB (who will likely play this year), a solid run blocking G and a stretch the middle TE with their first three draft picks. Their fourth pick is a guy who had round 1 or 2 potential, he just underperformed in college. Green seems to do a decent job of getting better output than expected from many of his players.

I think they had one hell of an offseason. My pick for the best, though, would be Washington. I think they finally spent their money wisely. Randall-El, Lloyd, Archuleta, Carter, Fauria. All will help them IMHO. I loved their rookie OLB pick. I think he's got some serious talent and Williams will work him in.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984
I think the Saints had a great offseason. New coaching staff, new QB, one of the most hyped in coming rookies in a long time...and the team just cut a lot of dead weight. I think we are a long ways from a playoff spot (mostly on defense) but it was a huge turn aruond this season.

Don't forget setting a franchise record for season ticket sales in a city that some people probably think is still underwater. Probably not the best offseason in the league (like you said, they didn't address the defense enough), but I'm pretty happy with it. Sept. 25 will be an incredible night, unless of course we're flattened by another hurricane before then.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
make your case here...

BWAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahaaa......SNOrt SNORt....>AHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #27
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

titans: drafted a ticket to the playoffs for the next decade

cowboys: owens was huge, always has a good year before he wrecks everything. i'd put them at one if not for their mind boggling failure to upgrade the ol depth. they played with the worst pair of ot's ever after adams went down, which cost them a playoff spot. yet nothing was done. curious.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd have to say the Dolphins. We finally got our first good QB since Marino.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #29
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I have to agree with the Saints, as crazy as that sounds. Brees will make a huge difference.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #30
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs
Don't forget setting a franchise record for season ticket sales in a city that some people probably think is still underwater. Probably not the best offseason in the league (like you said, they didn't address the defense enough), but I'm pretty happy with it. Sept. 25 will be an incredible night, unless of course we're flattened by another hurricane before then.

Yup. The Saints had the farthest to go--both on and off the field. They will not be as good as some of the other teams mentioned in this thread, but considering they place from which they started, I think that they made the most movement.

I see a season ticket sell-out and an 8-8 season as a real possibility--and both of those seemed totally unattainable at the end of last season.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
clintl
College Starter

Quote:

Dorsey was terrible. Dilfer's a huge upgrade as the #2 QB, and has the experience to be a good mentor for Smith.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

The Falcons defense added Abraham, Milloy and Crocker. They drafted Jimmy Williams who could start at CB, and they get MLB Harwell back from injury. Pretty good improvement on that side of the ball.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #33
SunDevil
College Prospect

The only way the Cardinals have a good season this year is if they can get the OL to gel and be a comptent unit. They were horrible last year, and the last couple of years. So on paper I think the Cardinals have improved much from last year, but we shall see what the wins/losses are at the end of the season.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #34
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Texans had a great draft and offseason.

They will win at least 8 games if not more this season.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #35
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
/sarcasm on

Texans had a great draft and offseason.
They will win at least 8 games if not more this season.

/sarcasm off

Fixed it for you.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #36
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is a public service announcement brought to you by the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots--

Didn't the Redskins have a great offseason in 2005 too? And the Ravens, bringing in Rolle and Mason? And the Vikings, with Smoot, etc?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #37
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
The Falcons defense added Abraham, Milloy and Crocker. They drafted Jimmy Williams who could start at CB, and they get MLB Harwell back from injury. Pretty good improvement on that side of the ball.
Yep...each of those is an upgrade at their position. Pretty successful offseason, IMO.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #38
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I'd have to say the Dolphins. We finally got our first good QB since Marino.

Joey Harrington or the guy that Minnesota was dying to get rid of so they could play Brad Johnson?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #39
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Fixed it for you.

I'm happy with the pick of Mario W. I believe that Reggie Bush is not the part they needed for their team. David Carr is a good QB and now with the proper coaching and gameplans you will see a huge jump in his productivity.

The 2nd round lb Democo Ryans is going to be a stud. We could quite possibly have 2 eventual defensive all pros from this draft.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #40
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
The only way the Cardinals have a good season this year is if they can get the OL to gel and be a comptent unit. They were horrible last year, and the last couple of years. So on paper I think the Cardinals have improved much from last year, but we shall see what the wins/losses are at the end of the season.

Thats why I pointed out the signing of the new OL coach in Az. He will bring out some attitude and change things up.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I'm happy with the pick of Mario W. I believe that Reggie Bush is not the part they needed for their team. David Carr is a good QB and now with the proper coaching and gameplans you will see a huge jump in his productivity.

The 2nd round lb Democo Ryans is going to be a stud. We could quite possibly have 2 eventual defensive all pros from this draft.

It isn't gameplans and coaching that will help Carr, it's having a line that won't get him killed. I like the Texans and think they had a good offseason. Adding Moulds is a nice compliment to Johnson, and I fully agree that drafting Bush would not have helped them all that much (if Davis stays healthy, he's one of the top backs in the league).

I hope they come out this year and that the line is at least not a negative. It doesn't have to be a team strength, but so long as it's not killing them game in and game out and putting Carr on his backside repeatedly, then his increased confidence alone will get this team to a new level.

On a related note, I think the Eagles did a fantastic job this offseason, especially in the draft, and while the Seahawks may have lost Hutchinson, I believe they improved all three facets of their game this offseason. Being able to add Burleson, Peterson and Hamlin is huge, and with a healthy Warrick returning kicks now should help what was probably our biggest weakness. If either of the top two picks makes an impact, well, the sky is the limit for this overrated team .
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #42
Galaril
Pro Starter

The Titans had one of the best if not the best off season int he history of the team and that is including when they were the Oilers in Houston. Well at least on paper nothing really matters until game sget played of course....but he goes:

1. Drafted Vince Young(rating of this addition for the Titans imho B+) Jeff Fisher has already said they will probaly tryot use him in red zone situations inside 10 yard line wheer they came benefit from his speed and elusiveness.
Losing Mcnair was a little disappointing, since he would of been a great mentor for Young but tough shit.

2. David Givens, fits similar mold of Derrick Mason and is a young guy, 25 years old, that will take alway alot of the double teams against WR Drew Bennett. Givens had good stats last year in NE :games: 13 ,receptions:
59,Yards: 738, Avg.: 12.5 TD 2( Rating: B/B+ )

3. Kevin Mawae center great leader type who leads by example will help stablize a talented but young and immature O-line. Will work well with Mike Munchak the best O-line coach in the NFL.(rating:B-/B)

4 Chris Hope,last season starting strong safey for the Steelers is young, hardworking and also great locker room guy.(rating:B/B+)

5. Lendale White: Rb is getting healthy agian and could be asurprise this season in the second half. (B-/B)

6. David Thorton OLB, last season started for the Colts. He is very fast and will be a nice bookend for Pro Bowl Superstar Bulluck on the other side. This acquisition will free up last season Peter Sirmon to mov eto the inside giving the tiatns a great linebacking corp. (B+)

7. Resigning Kyle Vanderbosch, great stats 12.5 sacks 40 solo tackles and 65 totals tackles. He is avery hard working high enrgy guy that will be great for a very young and talented D-line to learn from. (Rating:A)

8. They are one of the lowest salaried teams int eh league (last year the lowest) and our in very good cap shape for the future. One of the youngest if not the youngest teams in the league.

Last edited by Galaril : 07-10-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #43
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:

vince young would've been a perfect fit. PERFECT. kubiaks offense was designed for a guy like vince, and vince is the best guy like vince ever. it was a failure of a draft based on this one pick.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #44
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Im a huge panther fan and I dont think we had a great offseason, but good. I think the best move in our offseason wasnt even a move at all, its the work kris jenkins has been getting in to get healthy. keyshawn = meh. good solid reciever, but im worried about cohesion. very worried. i like the draft of Williams at RB but would of rather had Lendale or Maroney. Lost a couple on defense but filled the holes well I think. Diggs will be solid imo. all in all I grade us a B. Oh and I hate that we didn't get a TE.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #45
miked
College Starter

Why are people so down on the Jets? Apparently they weren't the only ones who though Leinart wasn't a top pick, as there weren't any teams trading up to get him. They got some anchors for their line, which was badly needed in case anyone didn't notice. Sure, they could've used another floaty-arm QB, but really the needs dictated otherwise. I'd much rather have a solid tackle and some ok QBs with time than an above average QB scrambling for his life every play.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #46
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Why are people so down on the Jets? Apparently they weren't the only ones who though Leinart wasn't a top pick, as there weren't any teams trading up to get him. They got some anchors for their line, which was badly needed in case anyone didn't notice. Sure, they could've used another floaty-arm QB, but really the needs dictated otherwise. I'd much rather have a solid tackle and some ok QBs with time than an above average QB scrambling for his life every play.

I like a lot of things the Jets did, and that includes the draft. All accounts thus far say Clemens is a doing very well. Maybe they have their QB of the future. They revamped the O-Line as well.

The reason I didn't mention them is that I thought others did better. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMTG and I agree about once every decade. . . but he's dead on about Vince Young. I think the Texans were a perfect fit. I also think Bush would have been a better pick for them. I think they flat out blew the draft and are going to regret passing on those two guys for the next decade.

I also think the Lions, Raiders and Bills will all deeply regret passing on Leinhart.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #47
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Actually, I think their biggest acquisition was their new offensive coordinator. But I agree - if Brunell has another good year, or Campbell is ready to go, they could be very good this season.

Like the OC, but Brunnell is another year older and despite a good start started to wear down again towards the end of the season. The rumours I've heard on Campbell is that he's fighting for the #2 QB position (never mind starting). I think this season may look more like 2004-2005 at the QB position.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #48
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

troy knows, since he watches denver. all those rollouts and playaction passes work right into vince's strengths. it would've taken time to build an ol, but once they did, the texans were mortal locks for hte playoffs every year vince was healthy. no de in the history of the game lead his team to the playoffs.

the texans management should be ashamed of themselves for being so stubborn about this. their refusal to consider vince was astounding.