Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #951
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Isn't it kind of harsh to call Huth "deadwood"? I am under the impression that he is pretty well thought of (but have never seen him play).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #952
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, calling him deadwood is harsh. I was meaning more in a Chelsea clearing the boards sense than actually meaning Huth was useless.

It'll be interesting to see Huth as a full time player, not just the 5th defender who comes on late to hold a lead. He's looked big, strong, but fairly immobile so far. We'll get a better idea next season.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #953
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Isn't it kind of harsh to call Huth "deadwood"? I am under the impression that he is pretty well thought of (but have never seen him play).

"Deadwood" for Chelsea = 1st String Centerback for most EPL squads.

5.5 Mil sounds a bit high though for someone Chelsea was long rumored to be getting rid of doesn't it?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #954
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Someone who's going to start for Germany at the World Cup?

Huth's big problem at Chelsea has been that he's the wrong type of centre-back to play for us. He's a big, strong defender whose relative weaknesses are pace and technical ability; the one thing Terry most needs in a partner is pace - which is part of why he and Gallas work so well together - so he can't get any kind of regular time without displacing Terry. He's not good enough to do that, but he's a pretty good defender, especially for a 21-year-old.

I'll be interested to see who we get in to replace him.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #955
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Someone who's going to start for Germany at the World Cup? .

Not saying he's not good ... I wouldn't mind having him as a back up at Liverpool. Just seemed like Chelsea was going to get rid of him no matter what ... and outside of a bidding war (not sure if anyone else was bidding) 5.5 seemed a bit steep.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #956
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Someone who's going to start for Germany at the World Cup?

Is he going to start? He hasnt started any of the Germany friendlies since their disaster against Italy, and he didn't feature at all in their final friendly v Columbia at the weekend which was supposed to be the first choice team. He was an unused sub.

5.5mil pounds seems a good deal for Chelsea, but if he works out it will be a good deal for Middlesbrough too
Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #957
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Is he going to start? He hasnt started any of the Germany friendlies since their disaster against Italy, and he didn't feature at all in their final friendly v Columbia at the weekend which was supposed to be the first choice team. He was an unused sub.

5.5mil pounds seems a good deal for Chelsea, but if he works out it will be a good deal for Middlesbrough too

Oops. I need to be more careful about tossing stuff like that off. He used to start, though he doesn't seem to be in line to start at the World Cup. In any case, he's never going to be a superstar, but he's good enough to start for a lower-level Premiership team right now and he's only 21. That's the key, really; he's still young enough for age to add quite a bit onto the cost. Definitely a good deal for Chelsea, but I don't think it's horribly out of line.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #958
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll be interested to see who we get in to replace him.

No offense, but I hope it's not Gooch. I don't want a terrific young American defneder to sit on the bench at Stafford Bridge when he could start for other EPL squads.

As a Boro fan, I like the Huth move, although I agree the amount seems a little high. I'm still wondering if anyone is still going to try to offer tons for Downing. I hope Boro is smart enough to keep him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #959
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
No offense, but I hope it's not Gooch. I don't want a terrific young American defneder to sit on the bench at Stafford Bridge when he could start for other EPL squads.

As a Boro fan, I like the Huth move, although I agree the amount seems a little high. I'm still wondering if anyone is still going to try to offer tons for Downing. I hope Boro is smart enough to keep him.

Funny you say that Chief, cuz Sky Sports had it that Gooch was at Boro today for a physical prelude to a transfer.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #960
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum

He could start for Boro, in fact, or so the rumour goes. I suppose with Ehiogu getting old and Southgate trying to take up management, they need quite a few centre-backs.

Honestly, I think which type of player we go for depends on whether or not Gallas goes. If he stays, we probably won't need more than occasional cover, in which case I could see us going for a journeyman rather than trying to find a hot prospect. If he goes, on the other hand, signing a major talent (more likely Kompany than Gooch, if we're looking in Belgium; Gooch hasn't established himself at the same level) would make more sense.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #961
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I hate to say it, but Ugo isn't just old and damaged. He's already been replaced in my mind by Riggott. That's too bad, because there was a time (even when Boro wasn't trying for Europe every year, but fighting off the drop) that Ugo and Southgate formed one of the better centreback pairs in the league.

I just read the rumors about Gooch to Boro as well. Wow, Gooch and Huth would be a nice pair of additions, I think.

As for Southgate, holy crap! I hadn't been watching any football news wires (outside of Cup stuff) the past few days, and I didn't realize it was a serious thought to turn the skipper into the boss. When I saw the report today at soccer.net, I nearly flipped my lid.

I love Southgate, and I know he will command respect from the squad just from being who he is, but this is a bit much. Can he really handle a position like this at this level? I hope so, but I'm not sure. I'm not so concerned about the action on the pitch, the training, or relations with players. I'm more thinking about dealing with the media, being savvy with transfers and player movement, and, if he is asked to handle this, dealing with contract issues.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #962
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Ok so Djibril Cissé broke his leg during the friendly France-China, Giuly already said he won't replace it so it might be Anelka.

This is also a bad news for liverpool since they were about to sell him...
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #963
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu
This is also a bad news for liverpool since they were about to sell him...

Very bad, we need the cash. Besides, I just plain feel bad for the guy. Coming back from two broken legs ... well, that's potentially career ending stuff. Guy needs to drink some more milk.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #964
Critch
lolzcat

Note - not for the squeamish, it's a photograph of Cisse from a French newspaper:

hxxp://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cisse8pn.jpg
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #965
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Ok so Djibril Cissé broke his leg during the friendly France-China, Giuly already said he won't replace it so it might be Anelka.

It's Sidney Govou. I guess Giuly and Anelka should have kept their mouths shut.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #966
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
If he goes, on the other hand, signing a major talent (more likely Kompany than Gooch, if we're looking in Belgium; Gooch hasn't established himself at the same level) would make more sense.

It's not going to be Kompany, he's apparently signed for Hamburg today. Hamburg moved van Buyten onto Bayern Munich for $12mil to make way for him.

edit to save a dola - Some reports that Man Utd have signed Michael Carrick from Spurs for 14mil pounds too. I love this part of the season

Last edited by Critch : 06-09-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #967
Critch
lolzcat

This is probably of interest to about two people on this board, but one of them is me so I'm going to post about it.

For anybody with the Sports Pack on DirecTV, Fox Sports en Espanol has apparently been added to the pack. This will mean even more soccer next season for your viewing delights, the main features being the Copa de Libertadores (The South American Champions League), a better choice of European Champions League games, and Mexican soccer. They might have Dutch soccer too, but I can't remember if that's them or ESPN Espanol.

The good things about the Copa de Libertadores are that it starts up again in early July to fill the post-World Cup downtime, and FSE last season broadcast them with an alternative English commentry soundtrack on the SAP button.

So I'm happy.

Last edited by Critch : 06-28-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #968
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

what channel is FSeE?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #969
Critch
lolzcat

Old 07-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #970
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Daedalus must be happy, Rennes is trying to buy Cygan from Arsenal
Old 07-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #971
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Is it legal with FIFA to pay Rennes to take Cygan from Arsenal?!

I'm probably overly harsh on the fellow. He's not THAT bad, really. I just don't think he's really up to dealing with the upper tier of the premiership and the Champion's League and the quicker forwards that can show up. And, worse, Wenger's blind faith in him. If the Cybot had been healthy, Flamini would not have been at left-back and we would have flamed out in the first few rounds of the Champion's League (resulting in Titi leaving). And more than likely, Djourou would not have been on the Swiss team.

As an aside, I thought Rennes had more talent on their squad than to try to pick up the Cybot? I thought they were an up-and-coming side with all the talent they were amassing. But, then again, Kallstorm (sp?) is leaving this year. What's going on with your team, Manu?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #972
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Many people are leaving this season : the coach (Boloni to Monaco), Kallstrom (Lyon), Gourcuff (AC Milan), Frei (Dortmund) and Ouaddou (Olympiakos).

Arriving : Moreira (Toulouse), Br. Cheyrou (Bordeaux via Liverpool)

Kallstrom will probably be replaced by a youngster from the club (Mvuemba or M'Bia or Bourillon), Frei was replaced with Moreira and Gourcuff with Cheyrou so the only problem left is to replace Ouaddou and that is when Cygan comes into play.
The guy still has a good reputation in France and he is of the same profile as Ouaddou so he could fit in well, there also trying to Get Karim Hagui the tunisian central defender from Strasbourg.

The team still has a lot of talent but not that much in defense and I think Cygan would improve it.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #973
MJ4H
Coordinator

Can anyone give me a link to a site that has some information on player salaries in lower leagues, such as League One in England?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #974
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Many people are leaving this season : the coach (Boloni to Monaco), Kallstrom (Lyon), Gourcuff (AC Milan), Frei (Dortmund) and Ouaddou (Olympiakos).
Not familiar with Ouaddou but the other three seems to be highly rated by most. That will hurt a bit. At least the replacements for Kallstrom are well thought of as well (we really need to, uhhh, go there to nab one of them if they're the defensive sort . . . my apologies).

What do you think of the replacement of Frei with Moreira?

The Cybot isn't really as bad as most Arsenal fans and I make him out to be, in my opinion. Especially if you have 1) a defensive boss to let him know where to go and 2) someone with enough speed to cover his oops.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #975
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
What do you think of the replacement of Frei with Moreira?

I think it is a great move, Frei was a typical goalscorer but was quietly replaced in the scoring duties by Utaka last season so he became expendable.

While moreira is really fast and with Utaka that would probably be the fastest pair of strikers in France, and if you add Briand, all that could make some damage.