Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
cincyreds
High School Varsity

BCS thinking of adding a 5th BCS Bowl?

5th Bowl?

Why don't they just have a 4 team or 8 team playoff?

What are your thoughts guys?

cincyreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

There won't be a 4 or 8 team playoff for a while, and I'm not sure there ever should be. As much as people bitch about the current bowl situation, college football's postseason is a special, unique event in the sporting world, and changing it lake that may be taking it a bit too far. Adding a separate title game to the end of the BCS series may be the best thing to do.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:12 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Cause if they have a 4 or 8 team playoff, then the number 5th or 9th ranked team will bitch. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy. I think they should just keep it the way it is.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

64 or 32 team playoffs - If 32 then another 32 playoff ala NIT type. This is what America wants. It is time to dust off the tired, impotent BCS and make it a vibrant force to be reckoned with.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
There won't be a 4 or 8 team playoff for a while, and I'm not sure there ever should be. As much as people bitch about the current bowl situation, college football's postseason is a special, unique event in the sporting world, and changing it lake that may be taking it a bit too far. Adding a separate title game to the end of the BCS series may be the best thing to do.

It was a special thing. Now look at it, any team can go to the Rose Bowl. That is like making the National Title Game on that damned blue field in Idaho. Get green grass you bastards if you want people to take you seriously.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Cause if they have a 4 or 8 team playoff, then the number 5th or 9th ranked team will bitch. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy. I think they should just keep it the way it is.

You've got to admit that is a whole different story than the #3 team who was left out of the National Championship Game in the current Bowl "Cartel" Series arrangement though..

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Adding a separate title game to the end of the BCS series may be the best thing to do.

The thing about this is what if a situation arises, as was the case this season, where there is a clear cut #1 vs. #2 matchup in a Bowl "Cartel" Series Title Game.. What, then the winner of that game would have to play a team that is actually the 3rd Best Team in America, at best, for the actual title?

This really doesn't seem to be the answer either, at least in my opinion..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-30-2003 at 09:28 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999

Sorry Illini, but I've never taken this arguement seriously. What's worse, the #9 or #17 team complaining or the #3 team complaining? The question is rhetorical, you don't have to answer. . .

Adding a 5th BCS game? I could care less. If they aren't going to do the right thing and make a playoff, why should I care what they do? Either way, I'll watch the games involving my teams, the games which interest me, and the championship game. I won't watch the rest. That'll stay the same if they add another 5 BCS bowls or wheather they cut it down to one.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

You have a four or eight team playoff, but you still keep the other bowl games, so other teams can have a postseason
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

"I could care less"

couldn't .... pet peeve, sorry.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

They should make the NC like the XFL had the coin toss to decide who would kick
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:59 PM   #11
PSUColonel
Banned

a 16 yeam team playoff seems the most reasonable to me- the hard part would be the length of the season, and I don't think smaller schools are going to go for the dropping of say 1 non-conference game a year.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 AM   #12
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
It was a special thing. Now look at it, any team can go to the Rose Bowl. That is like making the National Title Game on that damned blue field in Idaho. Get green grass you bastards if you want people to take you seriously.

HEY, leave BSU's Smurf Turf out of this. I love Boise States blue field.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:27 AM   #13
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by stkelly52
HEY, leave BSU's Smurf Turf out of this. I love Boise States blue field.

Yes, I live in Idaho and I am highly offended. In fact, I want that post removed from the thread as it is offensive to residents of Idaho, smurfs, and people who take mushrooms.

Last edited by astralhaze : 05-01-2003 at 03:27 AM.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:29 AM   #14
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Yes, I live in Idaho and I am highly offended. In fact, I want that post removed from the thread as it is offensive to residents of Idaho, smurfs, and people who take mushrooms.

I want your post deleted because it is discrimnating against people that only take acid

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:53 AM   #15
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
I want your post deleted because it is discrimnating against people that only take acid

After deep reflection and further consideration on the feelings of "heads" everywhere, I find that I was, indeed, quite in error in only mentioning those who take mushrooms. People who take LSD are just as valid as those who merely take mushrooms. I would like to apologize for my crass error and I hope that no one harbors any further resentment towards me. Please delete my post Skydog.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Ugh..a fifth Bowl game would just make it meaning less .
Look at the now dead seattle bowl .
Old 05-02-2003, 11:20 PM   #17
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
64 or 32 team playoffs - If 32 then another 32 playoff ala NIT type. This is what America wants. It is time to dust off the tired, impotent BCS and make it a vibrant force to be reckoned with.

Part of what makes college football so special is that there are only 11 or 12 games each team plays, and each one means so much. Put 64 or even 32 teams in a playoff and you will have teams like Nebraska going 6-5 and still making the tournament. It would greatly cheapen the regular season, rendering most of the season impotent.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:32 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

hell, lets just put every single team in a playoff.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote