Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
tucker342
Pro Starter

Cardinals win 20-inning marathon

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230427128

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals kept playing and playing -- until Fernando Vina got his first hit of a long day.

Vina -- 0-for-9 when he stepped to the plate -- hit an RBI single in the 20th inning, lifting the Cardinals over the Marlins 7-6 Sunday in the longest game in the major leagues in 10 years.

"I was battling as much as I could, still trying to get my rhythm,'' Vina said. "Who would have thought I would win the game? You pull off something like this and it's a good feeling.''

Vina's two-out single to right knocked in Edgar Renteria with the go-ahead run and the Marlins went down in order in the bottom of the 20th, ending the longest game since Aug. 31, 1993, when Minnesota beat Cleveland 5-4 in 22 innings.

It was the longest game in Marlins history, surpassing the 17 innings they played against Toronto on June 8, 1998. It was the second-longest game for the Cardinals -- they played 25 innings against the New York Mets in 1974.

By the time it ended after 6 hours, 7 minutes, many of the announced crowd of 10,075 had left. A steady drizzle that started in the 18th helped chase some fans away.

The Cardinals took a 6-1 lead into the bottom of the ninth before Florida rallied for five runs. Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo and Ramon Castro homered to spark the comeback.

"We were so excited in the ninth,'' Lowell said. "I would never have thought then that we'd be playing for as long as we did. Right now, I'm tired. I feel dead.''

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was back in the dugout after serving his one-game suspension Saturday for his part in a brawl last week against Arizona.

He had to wait a long time for this win. It was well worth it, though.

"What would have been one of the most painful losses a team can stand becomes just an incredible win,'' La Russa said.

Tino Martinez went 5-for-8 for St. Louis. Lowell and Derrek Lee each drew four of the Marlins' 16 walks. The three intentional walks issued to Lowell tied a major league record.

There were a total of 622 pitches, including 337 by seven St. Louis pitchers. The Marlins used eight pitchers, including Carl Pavano, who was scheduled to start Monday night at Arizona.

It was the longest game in terms of time since Texas and Boston played 6 hours, 35 minutes on Aug. 25, 2001.

Among the final quirky numbers: The Cardinals' bullpen gave up five runs in the ninth, then pitched 11 shutout innings.

Steve Kline (1-3) worked three innings for the win, one day after getting tagged for his second loss of the week in relief.

"It was one of those games when you have so many ups and downs,'' Kline said. "We still need, as a bullpen, to knuckle down and bear down some more. At times, we're trying too hard instead of just going out and pitching and doing the things needed to get the team a victory.''

The Cardinals, after getting swept in Atlanta, took two of three against the Marlins, who were fresh off a three-game sweep against the Brewers.

After 10 scoreless extra innings, the Cardinals broke through against Pavano (2-3) in the 20th.

Renteria reached on a one-out single, went to third on Mike Matheny's single and trotted home on Vina's single.

The Marlins were well aware of Vina's slump. Because of that, in a game like this, he was the last player they wanted to see strolling to the plate with the game on the line.

"We didn't want to see him then,'' Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre said. "This is a game of percentages. Sooner or later, a guy like that is going to get a hit.''

Cardinals starter Garrett Stephenson pitched eight strong innings and was on the verge of his first win in nearly a month before the bullpen fell apart.

Jeff Fassero started the ninth for the Cardinals and allowed solo home runs to Castro and Castillo, the first of the year for both.

Following a one-out single by Pierre, Russ Springer relieved. His wild pitch put Pierre on second and Ivan Rodriguez beat out an infield hit.

After Juan Encarnacion had an RBI forceout that made it 6-4, Lowell followed with his tying home run, his sixth of the season.

The Cardinals appeared on their way to an easy win after tacking on three runs in the ninth for a 6-1 lead. Eli Marrero delivered a two-run triple and scored on pinch-hitter Orlando Palmeiro's squeeze bunt.

The Marlins threatened in the 14th, with runners on first and third with one out. Pinch-hitter Brian Banks struck out and Castillo grounded out.

Florida had the bases loaded in the 15th against Dustin Hermanson, but Alex Gonzalez grounded out.

Martinez made it to third with one out in the 16th, but Matheny popped out and Vina grounded out. Miguel Cairo opened the St. Louis 17th with a triple, but Jim Edmonds struck out, Scott Rolen popped out and Martinez grounded out.

Game notes
The teams combined to leave 37 runners on base. ... Encarnacion flashed his arm strength in right field in the fourth inning when he threw out Martinez, who tried to score from third on a fly ball by Renteria. ... Edmonds leads the NL in hitting, but after going 1-for-8 his average dipped to .379. ... Gonzalez has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games for Florida.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
What a game

tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I was watching this game on MLB.com gamecast. From the 13th inning until the end! I don't follow either team, (the Cards a little because they are in the NL Central) but because it was an important game for my fantasy baseball team.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If we had a bullpen or Izzy back, this wouldn't have happened. Up 6-1 in the 9th! Ughhh!!!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
If we had a bullpen or Izzy back, this wouldn't have happened. Up 6-1 in the 9th! Ughhh!!!

Todd

Yae I am not sure how to feel about this game. Whether I should be pissed that the bullpen blew a 6-1 9th inning lead. Or that they pitched a flawless 11 innings after that! I mean it sucks to give up 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th, but you have to give them some props for shutting the other team down for an additional 11 innings.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, but our bullpen is really bad so far this year. Although not having a closer hurts the rest of the bullpen.

All of this and we are still only 2 games in back of the Cubs. Ahhh.. good ole cubbies.

Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Eldred is doing halfway decent. The rest are getting bombed off and on. We need Izzy back soon...where have you gone, Dave Veres? I know, I know, to Chicago.

I actually watched most of that 20-inning marathon. Wow!
Old 04-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Funny how I despised Veres when he was here, now we need him back.

We have to have a closer, whether it's Izzy or someone else.

Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Perhaps we can talk Todd Worrell into coming out of retirement...

Or maybe Al Hrabosky?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:26 PM   #9
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
Perhaps we can talk Todd Worrell into coming out of retirement...

Or maybe Al Hrabosky?

Nah Bruce Sutter was the man. We need him back. And we can have Lee Smith set him up.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:07 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Is Steve Kline not saving the games anymore?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:17 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by INDalltheway
Is Steve Kline not saving the games anymore?

He hasn't saved a penny, nor a game for that matter in quite some time. We need a fireballer, Kline is just another decent vs lefties pitcher.

Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 11:42 PM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

Vina is on my fantasy team, that 1-10 was quite lovely.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:29 AM   #13
MrIllini
High School Varsity

for as much as he was bitching about the trade rumors in the pre-season, Vina sure isn't showing shit on the field

some lead-off hitter
Old 04-29-2003, 11:36 AM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I think he's trying to hard. He has a tendency to push himself to justify things (such as a Gold Glove in the past), and as a result he gets in a funk.

Once he relaxes, he'll be fine. I still love the guy.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Me too. He's an hard nosed as they come. It's early, he'll come around.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #16
MrIllini
High School Varsity

I certainly hope he does, I just hate it when players bitch about not being respected and blah...then they go out and play like they have never been on a baseball diamond before.

Suck it up, everyone is the subject of trade rumors these days.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #17
primelord
Pro Rookie

Speaking of Cardinals who are frustrating me. Is anyone else tired of hearing about how great Tino is doing now? I keep hearing how well he has been hitting since he is up to .337 now. But as far as I am concerned he is not getting his job done.

He is only hitting .130 with runners in scoring position and .083 with runners in scoring position and 2 outs. He seems to get hits when it matters the least and we got him to drive in runs. Which he isn't doing.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #18
MrIllini
High School Varsity

well, I look at it this way...

he's hitting almost .340 in the middle of the lineup and has few runs scored...

so he's not the only one crapping on the job as far as ribbies go

at least it's better than last season...
Old 04-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Isn't that the truth MrIllini. It's a business and you're making a heck of alot of money... who cares if your name is mentioned in a trade?

What do you think of Altman? I'm kind of surprised Weber hasn't been talked about more.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 12:08 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

I get in Tino fights all day here at work with a friend.

Tino who? I say. He couldn't knock in his own front teeth with a hammer.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #21
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Altman will not be the new Illinois coach.

Weber will not be the new Illinois coach.

I think you're looking at either Rob Judson or someone that Guenther pulls out of his ass. He's surprised in the past, so I'm hoping that he's got another trick this time around.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:30 PM   #22
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
dola,

I get in Tino fights all day here at work with a friend.

Tino who? I say. He couldn't knock in his own front teeth with a hammer.

Todd

Bingo. Tino has, what, 9 rbi? That's projects to about 70 rbi on the year. That's remarkably poor production from a guy with a .337 average. And its not like the guys ahead of him aren't getting on base - he's just not getting it done.

Of course, this could just be some really lousy luck (we're only talking about 86 at bats here), so he could come around and drive in 100+.

At least us Cards fans have to hope he does.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #23
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrIllini
well, I look at it this way...

he's hitting almost .340 in the middle of the lineup and has few runs scored...

so he's not the only one crapping on the job as far as ribbies go

at least it's better than last season...

No I think you can stick the blame pretty squarely on his shoulders. 7 Cardinals have more RBI's than he does despite the fact that he has more At-Bats with runners in scoring position than anyone else on the team.

So the table has been set for him more than anyone else and yet he is 8th on the team RBI's. And hell he only has a 2 RBI lead on Vina at the moment. This all from a guy who we kept hearing was a run producer. When teh Crads signed him everyone said he didn;t have 35+ HR power anymore, but he would still be an RBI machine and should be a lock for 85+ RBI's.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:39 PM   #24
MrIllini
High School Varsity

well hell, fuck tino then
Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
well hell, fuck tino then

Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Forget this year for a moment, what about last year? How much does he make, $4 mil?

I still think if he would have produced, we would have been in the World Series.

He's off to a decent start, but pitchers still aren't afraid of him and with Edmonds, Rolen, and Puljos around him.. who couldn't drive in 70+? Talk to me when the all-star break is here and then we'll see how he's doing. He has alot to prove for me to warrant 'nice' comments about him since the trade.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 12:58 PM   #27
MrIllini
High School Varsity

I think he is closer to 7M
Old 04-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Altman will not be the new Illinois coach.

Weber will not be the new Illinois coach.

I think you're looking at either Rob Judson or someone that Guenther pulls out of his ass. He's surprised in the past, so I'm hoping that he's got another trick this time around.

What was that? Weber's your man!

Todd