Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #51
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic
Just fucking disgusting...the hell they teaching kids in school these days?
Blame the parents not the school

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #52
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

The St. Louis media has been fucking up quite a few stories lately so forgive me if I wait a few days to get more facts about this case. Obviously the story if true is disgusting and unbelievable, but after a local FOX news vendetta (I don't know what else to call it) about one of my close friends aired last night "exclusively on FOX" I am starting to see how any mother fucker can write anything they want. The piece they ran actually made me physically ill last night. What a sad piece of shit news department they have that needs to run stories that effect people's livelihoods without even attempting to get their facts straight. (End rant)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #53
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
But at 6-8 you have *GOT* to understand "don't hurt someone" (you've been told not to hit your brother/sister/parent innumerable times) and have to understand that when another child is kicking/screaming to leave them alone. These kids are already screwed up in some fundamental way that they need to be separated from the general school population RIGHT NOW. I'll agree on possibly no criminal stuff, but they need something pretty serious drilled into them.

At my schools we always had in school isolation and a special techer for that. Pretty much all the students who were in trouble would be sent to a room that was set up where there was a desk inside cubicles. A teacher would go around and make sure they were keeping busy.

They should take these kids and keep them in school, but apart from everyone else. Have a special teacher teach them sex education early and then a member of the police teach them about crime and punishment so they now know why you shouldn't do things like this. Hell, make it a semester long type deal.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #54
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
And, do you still think like one now?
*think i liked one until the third grade*
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #55
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
But at 6-8 you have *GOT* to understand "don't hurt someone" (you've been told not to hit your brother/sister/parent innumerable times) and have to understand that when another child is kicking/screaming to leave them alone. These kids are already screwed up in some fundamental way that they need to be separated from the general school population RIGHT NOW. I'll agree on possibly no criminal stuff, but they need something pretty serious drilled into them.

Man, kids 6-8 ganging up and doing violent things to those they view as weaker or different is nothing new. The story as posted is particularly horrible because of the sexual aspect on a little girl, but to read your post literally, I'd say that expecting them "to understand that when another child is kicking/screaming to leave them alone" is asking for more than a significant number of kids that age are able to give.

I do think I understand your point, I'm just saying that if you take out the alledged attempted rape, this type of violent episode is probably very common, relatively speaking, and the teachers in charge should be expected to guard against just that possibility.

When I was in elementary school in the mid/late 70s, it was not uncommon for 3rd graders to enlist 1st or 2nd graders to pick on other kids, and sometimes there were bloody fights. In todays (much) more sexually charged society, while it saddens me, this event does not surprise me.

Crim

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I would hate to think people are going to use a story like this to generalize poor, city kids simply because they might not understand the experiences and characterize their own as more pure and innocent.

That said, you have to do something to ensure that these kids understand, hell ALL kids understand that these sorts of things are wrong. Kids pick up subtle messages in everything these days and lord knows what they heard or thought.

But it seems that today, we have a completely different standard of how we deal with stuff. Thirty years ago, something happens, people find out and deal with it appropriately. Today, people wanna lock mfs up for life, throw away the key, bilk school districts for billions and they call that justice.

Until the facts of this case come out in a less sensationalized way, I will reserve judgement.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #57
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Maybe these kids were just trying to catch the eye of the Duke LAX team?

Overall this makes me sad. My daughter is 4 and starting school next year. I can't imagine anyone doing that to her. Maybe, I'll home school.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #58
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I don't know if I'd be as understanding as the great Aunt. If my daughter suffered an attempted sexual violation at recess A) I'd take her the hell out of that school. B) Sue the asses of the teachers who weren't doing their job C) Wonder where in the hell 6-8 year olds get the idea to do something like that.

Just because this happened, it doesn't mean that the teachers weren't doing their jobs. I'm not sure how their lunches are broken out, but my guess is that there was at least 200 kids on the playground. This means that with a staff of 2 teachers, each teacher had to watch 100 kids. This sounds more like an issue of the school understaffing the playrground than a teacher not doing his/her job.

So now we sue the school district, win loads of money. Because of the monetary loss, all the schools in the district lose staff and this has an even greater chance of happening at every school in the district.

How about this for an idea: Instead of suing the teachers (unless they can truthfully be found neglegent), try sueing the parents of the kids that did this. I think that it's about time that we stop blaming our teachers for the piss poor examples of parenting that are going on out there. Hell, teachers today can't even discipline the children in their classrooms without the fear of being sued by a parent.

Now its understandable that should something like this ever happen to somebody that the anger would boil over. Just makes sure to direct the litigation at the appropriate target.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #59
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
How about this for an idea: Instead of suing the teachers (unless they can truthfully be found neglegent), try sueing the parents of the kids that did this.
You have to go where the money is. Sounds like this school does not have to many kids born with a silver spoon in their mouths.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote