Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
AgPete
College Prospect

Talking Man who threw up wants conviction thrown out

Man who threw up wants conviction thrown out
Thursday, April 24, 2003 Posted: 1:41 PM EDT (1741 GMT)

STAMFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- You have the right to remain silent, but what if you vomit evidence before police read you your rights?

Vincent Betances wants his drug-dealing conviction thrown out, arguing that eight bags of heroin he threw up after emergency medical treatment should never have been admitted into evidence.

He contends police illegally seized the evidence from an ambulance after asking him if he'd swallowed heroin -- but before reading him his rights.

The state Supreme Court heard arguments in the case Wednesday and is expected to issue a ruling this summer.

Betances was arrested on drug charges in New Haven on June 20, 2000. Police said he was holding 30 bags labeled "The Cure."

While handcuffed and in a police cruiser, Betances began sweating profusely, turned pale and had difficulty breathing. Betances admitted he had swallowed four bags.

A paramedic gave Betances a medication to prevent the body's absorption of the drugs. A short time later Betances threw up eight bags of heroin, which an officer seized.

Assistant State's Attorney Toni Smith-Rosario argued that police should not be penalized for protecting the public, including defendants in their custody.

"Most defendants are grateful when police save their lives," Smith-Rosario said.

Suzanne Zitser, a public defender representing Betances, countered that exceptions to the Miranda warning must satisfy stringent requirements.

"It's not even a close call in this case," Zitser said. "There was no threat to the public or police officer safety."

AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In hindsight, I think it would have been a lot smarter all the way around just to let his system absorb the smack & let nature take its course.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

As Royal Marshall would say: Just damn!
Old 04-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL, I wonder if Royal realizes he's now a sports-forum quotable
Old 04-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you give someone a drug to force them to throw up evidence, that would violate the 4th amendment.

If you give someone a drug to save their life and that forces them to throw up, that does not violate the 4th amendment.

The PD in this case is arguing for an interpretation of the 4th amendment that would encourage police officers to let people die if the cops cannot read them their rights in time.

I'm normally a bleeding heart liberal in these criminal cases, but this one goes too far even for me.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

ya, agreed
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote