Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{Work stuff} Quick product category question

Just another session of the FOFC Focus Group.
Your incentive is the same as always -- not a blasted dime
But you do get my thanks in advance.

I'm interested in Water Filtration products - on-the-tap or the pitcher type mostly, although if you have the under-the-sink type instead I'd be interested in knowing that too.

I'm specifically wondering:
1)whether you own/use any of them
2)if so, which type(s)
3)if so, what brand(s)
4)Most especially, who was the primary influence on the buying decision - you or someone else

If you are kind enough to reply, it would be helpful if you could clue me to the basic demographic info (M35-44, F25-34, etc) on the primary influence on the decision to purchase. That last bit is what I'm really most trying to devine a little insight into here.

And, in case you're wondering, I've been rather frantically trying to come up to speed on this product niche for about the past week now, as we've had an unexpected but very welcome business opportunity fall out of the sky & right into our laps. Complication is that the turnaround time for our chance to win this account is about the shortest I've ever dealt with & my head is spinning pretty hard trying to get a handle on some stuff about it.

As promised, thanks very much in advance.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

1) Used to own one - now my refrigerator does the filtering for me (I'll answer the following questions about the one I used to own - use the answers any way you like)
2) Brita
3) Pitcher type
4) My wife who was talked into it by a friend

Demo: M33
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Ok... my sitiation...

I am on an OLD, very POOR well... currently, I am strongly considering various filtration systems including pre-house filtration, under-the-sink, or on the pitcher.

In the past I have used on the pitcher, and my mother uses on the sink. My experience from her with on-the-sink was not that good, as it seems to really slow the water flow and have some other bad options. Because of my situation where I have some significant sediment problems, a pitcher filter is not that helpful.

So anyway. I'm probably not giving you what you want...

In the past I had a pitcher filtration system. This was when the first became popular. I had a brita and purchased it by name recognition in that at the time I had NEVER heard of another brand (around 1997). At the time, I was M18 (for a dorm room).

I have considered the on-the-sink, but I would not get what my mother has. My mother (F55) has a Pur on-the-sink. It switches to filter and is quite slow when it does. Her influence and distaste with it would push me to brita.

I won't bother with the pre-house stuff. In the end, I need a damned plumber to do it or I would have it in already. I purchased a Pur brand because it was all that was in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Male. Age 32. Married.

1. Yes, I own one.
2. The filter is on a pitcher
3. Brita
4. The primary influence in buying one was that the water in Washington, DC has an unusually high lead content and it was a way to help filter that out.

I am in Michigan now and we still use the Brita. I think now it's more the perception of drinking "cleaner" water or habit and I like having cold water (sans ice) always handy and the Brita pitcher is a good mechanism for that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

The Brita pitcher filters are extremely popular with college kids because you have a mini-fridge in your dorm room, but for the most part you don't have immediate access to a full kitchen and tap water. So it's nice to have the Brita that you fill every once in a while in your floor's common area, or from some other water source like a bathroom sink. I'm a few years out of school now but I still use the pitcher, both out of habit and a little bit of horror toward DC's legendarily toxic water system. So I would say the 18-25 male and female demographic is very comfortable with and attracted to the pitcher variety of these things. The faucet variety seems to be more common with an older demographic of homeowners (not surprisingly) in my experience.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

test

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
4. The primary influence in buying one was that the water in Washington, DC has an unusually high lead content and it was a way to help filter that out.

Thanks HB, but if you happen back to the thread ... would you say that ?
a) you mostly decided the purchase
b) she mostly decided the purchase
c) you pretty much mutually decided the purchase

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

ok ...

brita pitcher
household could be called 'married'
Male - 33; Female - 27 (I think ... )
Primary reason was the water quality in New Mexico is horrible... you wouldn't believe what tap water tastes like.

knives out
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
ok ...

brita pitcher
household could be called 'married'
Male - 33; Female - 27 (I think ... )
Primary reason was the water quality in New Mexico is horrible... you wouldn't believe what tap water tastes like.

You think?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
1) Used to own one - now my refrigerator does the filtering for me (I'll answer the following questions about the one I used to own - use the answers any way you like)
2) Brita
3) Pitcher type
4) My wife who was talked into it by a friend

Demo: M33

almost exactly my response, except it was given to me as a gift and I'm 34
Old 02-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You think?

I can never remember, but it's something like that. I have to do math whenever I have to remember how old *I* am.

knives out
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In addition to the questions I asked, the other feedback is most welcome as well.

Just from the thread so far, I've gotten
-- a selling point/objection to overcome to remember from wade moore (not really my area of involvement but still good for me to be conscious of)
-- another demographic cell (young males) to consider from malcpow (a demo that has not been part of any conversation I've had on this to date)
-- a good insight from HB about the role geography can play - not in terms of climate or anything but rather in terms of water quality (something I hadn't thought about addressing geographically)
-- reinforcment from DD about my belief that it isn't unusual for this product to be given as a gift

Keep 'em rolling.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-28-2006 at 09:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Thanks HB, but if you happen back to the thread ... would you say that ?
a) you mostly decided the purchase
b) she mostly decided the purchase
c) you pretty much mutually decided the purchase

Thanks again.

I would go with (c), we pretty much mutually decided the purchase. I know it's the fuzziest answer, but it's the truth. We both owned one in the past and after reading about D.C. drinking water, it was pretty much a no-brainer. If we weren't living together we each would have bought one separately.

I actually bought one when I lived in Brussels, but never really used it. The water was so vile that not even the power of Brita could help it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

-- a good insight from HB about the role geography can play - not in terms of climate or anything but rather in terms of water quality (something I hadn't thought about addressing geographically)

I'll agree with that one. Everyone in NYC had one of the Brita filter pitchers because of fears of water quality.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

A secondary use of the Brita filter is, of course, turning cheap vodka into Grey Goose/Belvedere quality spirit. Yes, I used to live in Wisconsin, why do you ask?

knives out
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I'll agree with that one. Everyone in NYC had one of the Brita filter pitchers because of fears of water quality.

I'd add, like for me, maybe worth looking at areas with a lot of homes on wells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
Joe
Pro Starter

1)whether you own/use any of them: Yes
2)if so, which type(s): Under the sink type
3)if so, what brand(s): Culligan
4)Most especially, who was the primary influence on the buying decision - you or someone else: Me

D: 24M
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #18
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I can echo the water quality thing - it was primarily given to me because the water quality here was abysmal when I first lived here. it's improved substantially since then.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bump for the morning/daytime crowd.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #20
CraigSca
Pro Starter

1. Yes, I own one, 37m
2. i THINK it's the PUR Platinum, on the faucet in the kitchen
3. See #2
4. Biggest influence was my wife, 33f. We use it to add water to the kid's juices. Oddly enough she won't drink the water that comes out of it, we buy bottled water for that.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 03-01-2006 at 07:48 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
-- reinforcment from DD about my belief that it isn't unusual for this product to be given as a gift

More reinforcement. We got a Brita either as a wedding gift or for a Christmas present not long thereafter. We're both 30.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote