Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my playoff beard

boy, I hope the Avs don't let me down tonight. I really am not ready to shave this puppy off yet.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

How exactly did a New Englander become an Avs fans?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Joe Sakic.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Marmel, what does geography have do with being a fan (or not) of a team??? That's absurd.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Marmel, what does geography have do with being a fan (or not) of a team??? That's absurd.

Is this one of your sarcastic statements where you didn't use a smilie or are you serious?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Totally serious. <- note, no smiley thingy

We had gone round and round on this a long time ago and I've already used up my debating points for the week. So there.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
primelord
Pro Rookie

I wasn't looking for a debate with you I just don't think it is absurd. I would say a very large number of sports fans base their support of teams on geography. We all grow up watching teams in our area and generally become fans of them for that reason. That is why I am a fan of all the teams I support now. They were the teams that were always on when I was growing up.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry, A, you know I agree with you most of the time. But if you're suggesting geography has nothing to do with fans' loyalty to sports teams, than you're off your rocker, bro.

Not only would I say that geography is a part of some fans' choice of whom they follow, I would argue it is the primary reason for a fan's allegiance to particular teams. Aren't you still a Padres' fan, for instance?

If you're trying to say that geography isn't the only factor involved in a fan's choice of allegiance, I very much agree with you. If you're trying to say it isn't the primary factor or that it is even not important, than I couldn't disagree with you more.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-22-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Bucc, obviously geography is not the oonly reason a person will like a team. I was simply wondering how he latched onto a team on the other side of the country. While that is not rare, it is not the most common thing in sports these days.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:44 PM   #10
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I like the Wild tonight. Roy is hard to beat in game 7's at home though. But is he the same ol' Roy?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #11
cmp
Pro Rookie

Avs Suck.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #12
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I am pulling for the Wild tonight.....Although when I was younger I was a big Avs fan....i just like the thought of the little guy making it to the 2nd round...and wouldn't it be great if both the Avs and Detroit got knocked out in the first round?....But since I am pulling for the Wild toinght you can all expect the Avs to have a very decisive victory
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Come on Avs, if you lose I'll have to resort to rooting for the Stars, which will be difficult since they beat my Oilers...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Sorry Jeeber, but you lost that right a long time ago. NO STARS ROOTING FOR YOU!

Sorry about your Oilers...well, not really, but the series was a bit of a letdown, dontchathink?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, the Oilers let me down. I guess it was inevitable, but they got my hopes up after the first few games.

The Stars have been my third favorite team for several years now, so if the Avs blow it, I gotta root for them...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:19 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by gold101
Avs Suck.

so did that post
Old 04-22-2003, 05:31 PM   #17
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
Although when I was younger I was a big Avs fan....

When I was younger the Avs were the Quebec Nordiques...guess I'm old

Oh, go Wild!!!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #18
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

To hijack this thread and because some of my close friends decided to call me on this, I'll clarify (in my usual curmudgeonly way):

While I know full well the primary source of fandom is local, it should not be, not in this day and age. Look, we have access to anything about any other team in the league (or even any other major sports internationally), so you cannot plead ignorance of only knowing what the local papers and sports news feed you (not like in the old days).

Secondly, just because you live in City X that has a sports team (whether you grew up there or moved there later), you do not have to go along with the masses. Could it be an insecurity issue where you have feel like you belong and wear the same local jersey as everyone else? Do you feel you have to cheer along with everyone else?

I know the power of staying with your team because that was your childhood's (or in Shorty's case, current) favorite team(s). But even as a child, you could resist the temptation of peer pressure and like another team elsewhere because you like player Y the best (and whatever team he plays on) or because you just like another team. No law or reason you have to like the local teams.

Nowadays, with many player movements and corporate (read: non-local) ownership, you are minimized in the effect of your support, except primarily to be taxed even more so a corporation can con you in building a local stadium.

So, there are many reasons to like a team but geography shouldn't be the main one because to me, that implies a "lemmings mentality". I have seen too many people move here to Colorado and automatically become Broncos fans because "everyone else is". Yes, I like the Padres and Chargers - but AFTER I moved out of San Diego. When growing up, I was the only one wearing a Reds or a Redskins jacket in Syracuse. I did and still do like to local SU football and basketball teams, but the examples apply mostly to pro sports teams. I give credit for Marmel for walking around town with a SU hat or shirt, but I wonder how primelord would feel if he were a Blackhawks fan in St, Louis?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking any team for whatever reason. I had always been a contrarian, liking what no one else liked and not liking what every one else liked. To me, that shows independent thinking and not being a lemming just because you live in city X (if that is your only reason, which it is for some).

I'm going home, been too many posts today.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:38 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman

Oh, go Wild!!!

I had that same impression

When I was younger, I rooted for my home town Flames.. then they moved. Ahh well ....
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #20
Calis
College Starter

Hmm, odd thing is I tend to hate teams that are closer to where I live.

Granted most of my love the closest teams were the Royals/Chiefs, and now I'm stuck with the fugging Jazz.

Strangely enough I've spent my life a Redskins fan, and a Sacramento Kings fan, and I live in the midwest, so I really covered all bases.

The constant exposure tends to put me off of a team.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #21
Anthony
Banned

i'm from NYC and i'm a TB Bucs fan, circa '97. go Mike Alstott.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #22
Anthony
Banned

CR: when do you play M:TW multiplayer? my name is "king jackoff". anyone else who plays this game should get together.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, I don't see myself ever liking another baseball or football team more than the Reds or Bengals.. I will root for other teams (see: Chiefs, Cardinals (Arz)), but only mildly. I will credit this to my parents who are hardcore Bengals fans, and I came along to enjoy the ride until I figured all this sports stuff out on my own.

For basketball, I really don't have a favorite team because of no team in Cincinnati, but I find myself rooting primarily for teams who have players from Cincinnati.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #24
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman

Hey, I guess we both are. I stopped watching hockey when MY Nordiques moved to Colorado and won the Stanley Cup their very first year there. I grew up with the Stastnys, and Dale Hunter, and Joes Sakic, and.... Oh well...

FrogMan
Old 04-22-2003, 07:15 PM   #25
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i actually do have a playoff beard going. good ol devils in the 2nd rd now. anyone growing hair to support their team? because, hockey fans know, nothing says go devils like an itchy face.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #26
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyser
i actually do have a playoff beard going. good ol devils in the 2nd rd now. anyone growing hair to support their team? because, hockey fans know, nothing says go devils like an itchy face.

well, me, of course.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #27
Pyser
Pro Rookie

granted, DD. you started the thread.

id be suprised to find a 3rd, though.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
granted, DD. you started the thread.

id be suprised to find a 3rd, though.

considering how much shit my wife has been giving me about it, you're probably right.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the women hate it. the beards are just for us. just for the men.

but man, hockey players are just too pretty these days when they win the cup. i liked it in the 70s, no teeth and bushy beards. champions children would be scared of!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:46 PM   #30
bbor
Pro Starter

DD....did'nt you lose a bet where there was an embarassing picture involved?

If so...please post it again...i missed it

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #31
cmp
Pro Rookie

Go Minnesota!
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:56 PM   #32
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm originally from Detroit, and have lived in Texas, Georgia, and Florida. My favorite baseball team, since 1980, has been the Philadelphia Phillies. I first visited Philly in 2001. My favorite football team is the Denver Broncos. I'll be visiting Denver for the first time in my life in June.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #33
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
Hey, I guess we both are. I stopped watching hockey when MY Nordiques moved to Colorado and won the Stanley Cup their very first year there. I grew up with the Stastnys, and Dale Hunter, and Joes Sakic, and.... Oh well...

FrogMan

I just got a Nordiques jersey, man, that was one cool jersey!

On another note, could you imagine Roy playing for the Nordiques if they were still in Quebec?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #34
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
DD....did'nt you lose a bet where there was an embarassing picture involved?

If so...please post it again...i missed it

thanks for reminding me - hadn't posted anything. I'll track it down tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #35
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
thanks for reminding me - hadn't posted anything. I'll track it down tomorrow.

oops...me and my big mouth

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:12 AM   #36
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

well, now you can shave, can't believe it myself, but the Wild win.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:11 AM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Get them clippers out!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:59 AM   #38
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
anyone growing hair to support their team?

I was going to start growing a beard until the Flames made the playoffs but then I realized that wasn't such a good idea.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:56 AM   #39
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
I just got a Nordiques jersey, man, that was one cool jersey!

On another note, could you imagine Roy playing for the Nordiques if they were still in Quebec?

You think their jersey's were cool?? Man I thought they looke awful, still loved the team with all my heart though.

Roy with the Nords?!? Nope, never, not in a thousand years. I simply don't think it would ever have happened. Not with the closeness between the two teams. Hatred between the two cities was very high in the 80s...

FrogMan
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 AM   #40
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Red Wings

Blues

Avs

If you're gonna go down, it's so much more fun to watch the
competition fall with you.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote