Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 AM   #151
Alf
Pro Starter

How long (Real life time) did you spend on this game GB ? 1, 2 years ?

That was a great reading all the way. And I appreciate the pictures too !
Old 06-30-2004, 06:56 AM   #152
3ric
College Starter

Awesome!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #153
AStott
Mascot

Sweet!!! Way to go on the final mission. It was like watching a precision machine at work. Thanks GB for an awesome journey. We all enjoyed every minute of it (well, other than the minutes that involved waiting and hoping you'd get back to work on the game).

4 kills in one shot! Woo!!!

Just waiting for the final stats now...
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #154
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok. we need an xcom thread with links to EVERY Xcom II thread left to mankind
Old 06-30-2004, 09:29 AM   #155
JeffNights
College Prospect

way to go GB! Thanks for the awesome dynasty!
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #156
Raven Hawk
College Starter

When all of the hubub finally ceased, Raven Hawk II decided to retire to a cabin in Rocky Mountains. He never mentioned where he was going or what he would do with his life. But it seemed that he would walk the path of the hermit. All the attention didn't suit him and he needed to get away for awhile until most of the attention went away.

One year later at a convenience store somewhere outside of Colorado Springs . . .

"Sir can I help you?" asked the late-night convenience store clerk.

No response came from the figure who was actively searching through the frozen foods in the freezer at the rear of the 7-11. After grabbing a box of Hot Pockets, the figure turned to the drinks. His face now somewhat exposed to the clerk, the clerk recognized who he was.

"Hey! Aren't you Raven Hawk II? From X-Com? You saved the earth right?" inquired the clerk.

Raven remained quiet, selecting a 20 oz bottle of Coke to go with his Hot Pockets meal. He then walked to the front of the store and plopped his selections down on the counter.

"Not very talkative, eh? Could I maybe get your autograph at least?" asked the clerk, knowing that he was pushing his luck.

Finally Raven inhaled as if to speak.

"Kshrak ssssehdh versalka crimoc!" The strange words came out of Raven's mouth and shocked the kid behind the counter. Raven's eyes appeared to be glassed over as he continued. "Earth . . . meat flesh . . . pinklings . . . yummy!"

Raven shook his head fiercely as he was trying to get water out of his ears. Then spoke again.

"Pardon?" Raven said, "How much for the Hot Pockets and the Coke?"

The kid's shocked expression wasn't anything new to Raven. He knew that people became speechless when they saw him and his comrades. Raven dropped $5 on the counter and walked out the door.

It had been puzzling to Raven, though. Ever since Mars, he's had periods where he's blacked out. Raven looked down at his Hot Pockets again.

"Broccoli, Cheese, and Chicken? I don't like broccoli . . ."

-------------------------------

GB, thanks for the dynasty. This was absolutely fun and it gave me a place to do some less than conventional creative writing. Fabulous story. Hands down it was the:

Best. Dynasty. Ever.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #157
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 17, 2003

How appropriate it should be that 100 years after the Wright Brothers flew for the first time at Kitty Hawk, I should arrive home on a rocket ship that saved humanity that wouldn't have been possible had they and other aviation pioneers not made their accomplishments.

I tip my hat to them.

Their invention also saw to it that I could step off the rocket and hop on a jet bound for Detroit, where I could finally meet the most important thing I was fighting this whole war for. She's not quite a month old and now, thanks to her dad and others with him, can live free. Most kids believe their parents can save the world. Wonder how her friends will react when they find out I really did.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #158
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Coffee: Yikes! You want to start over? Terror from the Deep would be fun to do, but I'll let someone else take that one. I'm done with X-COM dynasties. Time to do something different.

Tucker, Fonzie, Real Deal, Swaggs, Hoopsguy, Kodos, Glengoyne, 3ric, Jeff Nights: Thanks!

AStott: Thanks. Unfortunately, the game just ends after you blow up the alien brain, so there aren't any final stats available. You did however, win the total kills award, stealing it from Kodos, 27-26, by killing 4 aliens on that last blaster missile shot.

Raven Hawk: LOL! Crappy might be able to give you some drugs for that! Thanks, too.

SirFozzie: There are some copies of the old threads around here somewhere. At some point, I might try to put them all up on a website, but it feels like something I would like to do but in all honesty won't get around to doing. If someone wants to put them up, please feel free.

Wolfpack: I'm glad that you were able to reunite with your daughter!

Alf: Thanks. I think we started it a little over two years ago. I probably was actively working on it for about 9 months, would be my guess. I don't even want to think abou the total number of hours. Yikes.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-30-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #159
zentuit
n00b

It seemed like the parties had been going on non-stop for weeks. The young man is apprehensive to approach the grizzled veteran. It looks like the vet finely had a chance to take a break and relax. Would he be upset by yet another interruption in his life? Probably but the boy feels it is important that the vet knew, that they all knew. Mustering up his courage he thinks, "TJ, he's just a man." But in his heart he knows that is not true. He approaches.

"Sssir? Excuse me, but". The veteran sighs and turns. TJ can see the irritation play across his face. TJ falters for a second but continues, "I'm sorry, but are you with X-Com?" Groaning inwardly as his voice broke on the last part, TJ steels himself for what is surely to come.

The vet barely acknowledges his question with a gruff, "Yea."

"Sir, were you on the last mission? The one to Mars? The one that...". TJ takes a step back as the vet face changes. There is a strange look in this man's eyes, they look haunted. Those eyes flick to a spot past TJ's left shoulder then glass over. For what seems like an eternity.

"Yea."

"I want to give you this." The vet shakes his head and glances down, seeing that the boy is holding out something. Jewelry?

"Its a locket sir. It was for my sister, sir. I bought it for her graduation. She just finished up college. Mom and Dad went to surprise her at school just as her finals finished. She is", TJ voice faltered, "was smart sir. She finished school early. Graduated after first semester. Mom and Dad drove in to celebrate. December 11th. At Northwestern". TJ gingerly put the locket into the vet's calloused hands. "They're all gone now. I wanted someone from X-Com, someone who fought back, someone who killed those bastards to have it."

The vet stares at the trinket in his hands.

"If you see General Blitz or Commander Kodos or any of the others, tell them I want to serve. I've... I've no one else."

The silence is overpowering. TJ is sure he's made an ass of himself. "Damn it," he thinks, "you stupid kid. Do you think they would care about one little family? Did you really think they would let you join?"

TJ drops his eyes, and turns to go. He mumbles a hurried, "Thanks again, sir"

After two steps, the vet calls out, "Kid. Wait. Here. Take this. I'll tell them. But if you see them first, tell them your story and give them this. It probably won't help but..."

TJ takes the patch from his outstretched hand, thanks him and hurries off. An X-Com leg patch. How much action has this seen? He notices the stains. "Alien guts," he thinks as he runs his finger over the name, "Tasan II. I wonder..." He brings the patch to his face, his curiosity about the aliens overwhelming. He inhales deeply. A foul stench assaults his senses. "Holy giant squids", he thinks, "... the aliens smell exactly like, well, like the port-a-johns at the fair."

==============================
Wow GB, that was awesome. To all you guys, your side story adds were great also.

I can't freakin' believe I missed this dynasty too. That's it, I should just change my nick to DayLateDollarShort.

I went digging through all my old computer stuff trying to find my copy of X-Com. Damn if I can't find it. We needs it, precious.

Tom
zentuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #160
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

zentuit: Great touch! LOL at the end! Poor Tasan II. Mars was a tough place for a rookie to be for his first mission. Come to think of it, though, he did contribute by throwing an electro-flare or two on the surface.

Glad you enjoyed the dynasty!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #161
Poli
FOFC Survivor

GB: Say it ain't so! You're done with X-Com??
Old 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #162
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
GB: Say it ain't so! You're done with X-Com??

All good things must come to an end. I think 2 or 3 years of writing this thing is good enough!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #163
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tag, you're it, KODOS!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #164
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to say thank you GB.
This whole dynasty has been a great source of entertainment, enjoyment and real interactive pleasure.
I'll be hungrily looking forward to whatever comes next... (maybe it's time for another try at destroying the South Bend university ???)
Old 06-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #165
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
(maybe it's time for another try at destroying the South Bend university ???)

X-Com vs. Notre Dame. I like it.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #166
Chuck U Farley
n00b

Message from the grave

Congratulations X-Com

Great job GB.

What to read, what to read?
Chuck U Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:35 PM   #167
gkb
High School Varsity

Congrats guys. Great read GB. I'm sad to see this one end.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #168
revrew
Team Chaplain

Thanks a million, GB. Great stuff.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Simply outstanding, and that's one helluva understatement.

I've never played X-COM, don't think I've even seen it until the screenies in this thread.

And yet it had me hanging from the time I read the first bit a couple of weeks ago (I clicked on the last megathread somewhere in the middle, read a couple of posts & then started backtracking through it).

And the ending? I don't believe I've ever seen anything online that could touch it, and I'm not particularly limiting that to just dynasties/replays/campaigns, I just mean in general.

Simply fucking incredibly well done, not just by GB, but by all the cutaways to add character & made them come to life.

Bravo.

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #170
DukeRulesMAB
College Prospect

I'd like to join in by saying I've been reading this for a very long time. Thanks for providing a whole lotta entertainment, GB!

On a side note, any chance of getting the "lost chronicles" posted somewhere now that it's over?

FOFL: I may be the commish, but it's still pretty good.
DukeRulesMAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #171
PsychoCop
Mascot

Alright that last mission was sooooo unbelievable.

I never had a no-kill final mission. Damn it.

COngrats GB!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:32 AM   #172
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeRulesMAB
I'd like to join in by saying I've been reading this for a very long time. Thanks for providing a whole lotta entertainment, GB!

On a side note, any chance of getting the "lost chronicles" posted somewhere now that it's over?

I have the "lost chronicles" posted here: http://www31.brinkster.com/3ric/x%2Dcom/. Links in those pages don't work and there are no pictures, but all text should be there - let me know if something's missing.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #173
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well finally am posting here to say goodbye to X-com. Don't want to leave, waaah!

Just an outstanding job GB, especially with all those missions and giving many of them their own unique twist. The ending was a bit anti-climatic (though fun) (especially with Thomkal II getting off one shot and missing! ), but the events leading up to it were pure theater at its best. Thanks so much for your dedication to finishing this monster even when the real world crowded around you.

:::stands up and applauds at the end of the movie:::
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #174
Blade
College Prospect

Wow! I have been away from the boards for over a week now, and was just able to get back today...and OMG!!! Great job, GB! It has been amazing to follow and be a part of this dynasty for so long now, and what a finish!

I agree with many other sentiments...

Best...Dynasty...Ever...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #175
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

GB, great job, and Kodos, unbelieveable as well. Too bad AE didn't take one for the tem, Martyrdom is such a grand thing. Great job everyone!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #176
Lokugh
Mascot

Great job, GB. Has been a blast reading this.
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #177
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Just back from vacation this afternoon...

Lokugh, Dawgfan, Blade, Psycho Cop, FF Froggies, gkb, revrew, Chuck: Thanks!

Thomkal: Thanks. I was really surprised with the last mission, too. In many ways, I was hoping for a more dramatic ending, where the fate of the world went down to the last couple of men kind of thing. At best, I figured we'd lose half our troops. It wasn't until we had racked up ten kills inside the base that I realized we might get everyone through.

3ric: Thanks for putting the "missing files" up! That's great!

JonIntheMiddle, DukeRules: Thanks for your kind words, and for taking the time to post! I'm glad that there were some people that weren't directly involved with the dynasty that liked it as well.

Ardent: Yeah, this has been great fun, but I want to do something different. I won't be doing another X-COM.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #178
Kodos
Resident Alien

I won't be doing another X-COM.

Slacker!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #179
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
:::stands up and applauds at the end of the movie:::

me too!

Great job GB.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #180
Swaggs
Coordinator

I miss my X-COM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:55 AM   #181
Pro Rookie

So which dynasty are you guys reading right now ?

I find myself going back to the 'standard' dynasties, ie FOF, TCY and the like.
And some real-life ones, such as AE and shorty's softball dynasties, and VPI cigarette quitting tale...
Old 07-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #182
Japherwaki
n00b

My life feels empty now.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #183
Swaggs
Coordinator

I will never love another dynasty the way I loved X-COM.

Last edited by Swaggs : 08-24-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #184
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Memories
Of Kodos throwing a grenade
Blaster Launchers in the warehouse
The way we were

Memories
Shooting sectoids in the groin
Bitch Kerlinni killed my grannnnnnnpa
The way we were

The way we were.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #185
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ah yes. The one dynasty that I joined too late.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #186
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hear the aliens have challenged us to the best 2 out of 3. Maybe Blitz is up for a rematch.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #187
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #188
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Yes, but things were so much better back then...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #189
JeeberD
General Manager

Just let it die, folks. Just let it die...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #190
kingfc22
Head Coach

It wouldn't be FOFC without X-COM!!!!

Hey somebody was gonna do it.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #191
JeeberD
General Manager

Someone needs to back this up, NOW!!!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

All of you bumping this should die a horrible, horrible death.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:41 AM   #193
JeeberD
General Manager

Does that include you?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #194
Pro Rookie

A friendly bump for Alf...
Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #195
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Other dynasties can only aspire to be as good as this. Ahhh, the good old days.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #196
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Oh how I miss the XCom days.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote