Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2003, 10:39 PM   #1
Havok
College Starter

CM4 crash problems......

well... im trying to get back into CM4 so i sit down, boot the game up and get started. Then after i select my team.... setup my line-ups, tactics and make contract offers to some young free prospects my computer reboots!!!

It doesnt crash or anything it just kinda reboots itself. Like i pressed the reset button or something. This as never happened before so i thought it was just a fluke.

I restart the game and do all that stuff over again and it reboots again!!!!!

has anyone had problems like this with CM4??? is it a known bug???

i seriously doubt its my computer thats the problem. my spec's are........

AMD Athlon 1700+ (1.47Ghz) @ Xp1900+(1.62GHz)
512mb Crucial DDR ram
Nvidia Geforce2 TI overclocked to 260/430Mhz
Soundblaster 5.1
Windows XP

Marc if you could reply to this that'd be great

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

Actually rebooting sounds to me like a hardware problem. Funny that you claim it is not hardware in the same post you list your overclocking. Generally, if there are incompatibilities, or software problems, you get a freeze. If the system reboots, it often indicates a power supply issue. If your machine is rebooting after pressing the 'continue' button, when the game would start processing, that probably means that your CPU is trying to draw more power than your PS can deliver. Athlon XP's take quite a bit of power, even more when they are overclocked. And text sims are among the most CPU intensive games out there, so this could explain why it happens in CM. I would suggest two things:

1) Try clocking your system down to its specs. Do you get the same problem?

2) Buy a high quality power supply from a store with a good return policy. If swapping it solves the problem, keep the PS, if not, just take it back.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Havok
College Starter

i have a very good power supply.....

"Enhance 350w Power supply"

but if it is a hardware problem why has it never happened with any other game before??? I play other games that are alot more powerful then CM4. Warcraft 3, Unreal 2003, etc.....
Old 04-22-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

In terms of overall system resources, those games are probably more demanding than CM4. In terms of CPU demands, CM4, while simming, is probably more taxing.

I don't think that Enhance is a particularly good name in power supplies, but I am hardly an expert. Looking at their website, their 350W power supply delivers 220W sustained power (looks to me like it is a 220W power supply). I could be wrong about its quality, though, I was just throwing out suggestions to try and help. The only time I ever saw a problem of random reboots was from a PS gone bad. You might also have a power supply that is of perfectly fine quality that has stopped functioning perfectly. I somehow doubt that a patch will stop your computer from rebooting. If you buy from a store that will take things back without bitching, trying an Antec or Enermax supply is a no-risk proposition.

FWIW, I recently upgraded my machine, and had a problem that only occured in Everquest (it would freeze after 5-50 minutes). I tried everything imaginable in Windows and/or BIOS settings, drivers, patches, to solve the problem. A hardware change (going from dual channel DDR to normal) is what ended up solving it. Oddly, only EQ was putting enough demands on that particular subsystem to cause the malfunction.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Havok
College Starter

hmmm wierd

I'll update all my drivers and keep trying. Maybe it was just a fluke last night.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If this does reproduce can you try and see if there is a common cause which actives this 'reboot' - if so can you indicate what it is so I can see if I can replicate it in house.

(it does sound like an overclocking, over-heating sort of problem rather than a game based on though ..)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Havok
College Starter

well... i just played for 2 hours and had no problems.... i'll let ya know if it happens again.