Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
AgPete
College Prospect

Are Republicans trying to force Colin Powell out of the State Department?

There was a battle for Bush's ear between the warhawks and Powell's more moderate stance regarding Iraq. And now this:

Gingrich blasts 'diplomatic failure' at State Department

Besides Saddam Hussein, did we also see the beginning of the end for Powell after the success in Iraq? Are the hardliners taking over the Bush Administration? Is Powell too moderate for the Republicans? It seems like he's lost a lot of influence lately. Is Gingrich all talk or is there a silent movement to oust Powell from his position? I get the feeling that the more conservative factions in the Republican party don't look at Powell as one of them.

AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

CNN said Gingrich is the favorite of many conservatives... but I can only speak for myself when I say I'd rather have Colin Powell in my party than Newt Gingrich.

BTW, I feel dirty now. This is the first CNN article I've read since the Eason Jordan op-ed piece.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
BTW, I feel dirty now. This is the first CNN article I've read since the Eason Jordan op-ed piece.

BWAHAHAHA Slowly but surely, I will post CNN articles and sap all conservative notions out of your body.

Right now, I would seriously consider voting for Dubya no matter who the Democrats throw out. But if the Republicans conservative factions take over, I'm not voting for Dubya unless the Democrats throw out another Michael Dukakis. Sorry, IMO, Congressmen can be ultra liberals or conservatives but the President always needs to have a good moderate stance willing to take opinions from all sides.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
CNN said Gingrich is the favorite of many conservatives... but I can only speak for myself when I say I'd rather have Colin Powell in my party than Newt Gingrich.

Ditto. I like Gingrich when he talked about a "progressive conservatism," but his theories are far off his actions.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Lazy Eye
n00b

We need Powell.
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I kinda agree with the sentiment of AgPete except that I will never, ever vote for a Democrat (or more specifically, anyone left of center) again. I'll just do what I did for several elections and vote 'none of the above'.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Eye
We need Powell.

Agreed. Powell is one of my favorite politicians. Scratch that. He is my favorite politician bar none. I hope he runs for president one day.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
clintl
College Starter

I don't think Powell wants to be president, and that's why he chose to become a Republican. His political views are really more consistent with those of moderate Democrats. I don't think the right wing of the Republican Party would accept him as a nominee, and knowing that gives him a way out of being pressured to run.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think there can be a case made for Powell having a lot of influence right now. Check this out from the Nelson Report.

Kelly on the way to Beijing for N. Korea meeting, Bush meets again today on Syria. What each has in common is role of Colin Powell in urging diplomacy, and Bush's willingness to listen. Rumsfeld & DOD hawks were ready to send troops into Syria "in hot pursuit" before Bush said "no". And Rumsfeld was against holding the Beijing/DPRK talks, until Bush said "yes", at Powell's urging. Then the hawks tried to substitute Bolton for Kelly, the approximate equivalent of a MOAB, but Powell prevailed. So, reports of Powell's demise exaggerated?for now. Question is, are the "adults" really in charge (the optimist's view) or is Powell the guy who grabs the steering wheel when the bus driver hits 100 mph?