Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Upcoming HOF Classes (2007, 2008, 2009)

I listed the notable names that will come up on the HOF ballot for the next three years. In bold, the players I believe have the best chance to be inducted right away.

- Looking at this list, it is a good bet to think that leftovers of recent classes like Michael Irvin, Thurman Thomas, Derrick Thomas will have their best chances to get in next year.

- Also, after a number of consecutive years where we have seen 1st-ballot HOF QBs (Kelly, Elway, Young, Marino, Aikman, Moon), there probably won't be anymore in the next few years and this might be the best chance for guys like Ken Stabler and Phil Simms to try to sneak in...

2007 -- Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Eric Allen, Carnell Lake, Bruce Matthews, Ricky Watters and Tony Boselli

2008 -- Cris Carter, Lomas Brown, Jumbo Elliott, Darrell Green, Richmond Webb.

2009 -- Shannon Sharpe, John Randle, Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Gary Anderson, Larry Centers.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.

Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Hurst2112
College Starter

Green and Woodson will be first-timers. Smith too probably.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Carter, Sharpe, and Bruce Smith, too.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And Tony Bosel -- shit, I can't even type it.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
dervack
College Prospect

Does anyone think that Terrell Davis might get in eventually as the Gale Sayers of out generation?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #6
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Does anyone think that Terrell Davis might get in eventually as the Gale Sayers of out generation?

This one is likely to be the hot topic of next year's class.
Davis only played 7 years and had the best 3-4 year run for any RBs in NFL history.

- Surpassed 2000 yeards
- earned NFL & SuperBowl MVP awards
- Won 2 SuperBowls
- won (?) Rushing Titles

so since they inducted Gayle Sayers...there is no question that T.D's candidacy will be harsly debated by the commitee.
I can't predict if he'll make it but my guts tell me he belongs.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

would be sickening if td got in before dt..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
Davis only played 7 years and had the best 3-4 year run for any RBs in NFL history.

- Surpassed 2000 yeards
- Won 2 SuperBowls
- won (?) Rushing Titles

so since they inducted Gayle Sayers...there is no question that T.D's candidacy will be harsly debated by the commitee.
Isn't there a similar case for Tony Boselli? From what I've read he was concidered the best offensive lineman in the game for several years, but his career was cut short due to injuries.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

- Surpassed 2000 yeards
- Won 2 SuperBowls
- won (?) Rushing Titles

I am going to say no. When I hear people talk about Gale Sayers, there is a reverence. I get the impression that he was look at as a once in a generation back. I did not see TD as that type of back when he played. I also think that he "suffers" because he had John Elway in the backfield. Yes, he was more of a focus for that offense than Elway during those years. But you can't say that Davis carried the Broncos to the championship. Finally, I think the success of the Broncos running game after his retirement hurts him. The impression that the Broncos have been able to plug "anybody" into that backfield and pick up chunks of yards.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
hoopsguy
General Manager

I would argue for Davis getting in. I think the argument can be made that he was the tipping point for Denver actually winning titles instead of just making extended runs under Elway. His 2,000 yard season is one of those huge numbers that jumps off the page at you - I believe only four players have ever done that (Dickerson, Sanders, Jamal Lewis are others).

He basically had four years (1995 - 1998) where he wasn't gimped. Cumulative stats in that time:
6,412 yards (7,607 total)
56 TDs (60 total)
4.77 ypc (4.6 for career)

He was playing at the same time as Sanders and Emmitt, so I'm not sure he was the best player at his position while he played. But he stacks up favorably over that four year period to those guys, who just about everyone agrees are first ballot HOFers:

Sanders (1995 - 1998)
6,597 yards (15,269 total)
36 TDs (99 total)
5.08 ypc (5 ypc for career)

Smith (1995 - 1998)
5,383 yards (18,355 total)
54 TDs (164 total) - this includes his 25 TD season
4.19 ypc (4.2 ypc for career)

Sanders won just about all of the POTY awards in 1997, while Davis took home most of the hardware in 1998.

If you view Davis' work over a 7 year view it isn't nearly as impressive as the numbers I listed above. But if you take his stats over the four years he was healthy, then add in the two Super Bowls, you have a clear HOF back. It is just a question of whether you think he had a long enough run of dominance to be in. If not, then how many more seasons did he need at this level to be considered HOF material? One? Three?

Finally, here are the same stats for Sayers. I've also highlighted his best FIVE year run, since there isn't a four year run that is close (1965 - 1969)
Yards: 4,866 (4956 for career)
TDs: 39 (39 for career)
YPC: 5.09 (5.0 for career)

Obviously this is comparing different eras so take this for what it is worth. But since he is the player often used as the example I felt like the numbers should be presented.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Isn't there a similar case for Tony Boselli? From what I've read he was concidered the best offensive lineman in the game for several years, but his career was cut short due to injuries.

I think it's a much more difficult case to make for a lineman. There's no statistics to back up that Boselli was one of the all-time greats during his short run.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #12
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I think Boselli will get in.

Regarding T.D, my take is that he did carry the Broncos to those Superbowls.
Sorry but in the previous 10 years, Elway couldn't ultimately win the big one because he had no running game to speak of. If Elway had had just a "good" RB with him at that time, there is no question in my mind that he would have won a Superbowl before Terrell Davis came to Denver.

Finally, he had a Terrell Davis and T.D was the focal point of the offense, opening up the vertical game between Elway and Rod Smith.

Make no mistake, gameplans were made around T.D, not Elway in the latter years, when Denver won back-to-back championships...

I thing this means a lot.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Boselli will get in.

Regarding T.D, my take is that he did carry the Broncos to those Superbowls.
Sorry but in the previous 10 years, Elway couldn't ultimately win the big one because he had no running game to speak of. If Elway had had just a "good" RB with him at that time, there is no question in my mind that he would have won a Superbowl before Terrell Davis came to Denver.

Finally, he had a Terrell Davis and T.D was the focal point of the offense, opening up the vertical game between Elway and Rod Smith.

Make no mistake, gameplans were made around T.D, not Elway in the latter years, when Denver won back-to-back championships...

I thing this means a lot.

I would be more likely to agree with you if I did not believe Elway was already a HOFer during those seasons. I have not look at the stats but I don't recall Elway being an average QB during TD's great years. As you have already stated, Elway was able to open up the offense with Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe. IMO Davis had at least a little help from a HOFer. The only thing I have to compare him with is Sayers and based on what I have heard and seen through old film, Sayers was the entire Bears offense. He did not get even a little help from another HOFer. Then you would have to include his special team play as well. There is no doubting that TD had an incredible 4 year run. However because it was only four years. I don't think the voters are going to vote Davis in based on just that 4 year period. The other is remembering who we are dealing with. I don't believe that the voters today are going to give the benefit of the doubt that the voters of Sayers time gave him.

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-07-2006 at 01:09 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

TD is going to be hurt by all the big rushers that followed him in Denver.

He probably shouldn't be in.

I can't see Boselli belonging in there either.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
TD is going to be hurt by all the big rushers that followed him in Denver.

He probably shouldn't be in.

I can't see Boselli belonging in there either.

Boselli never came across my lips when talking HOF. Sorry to those guys saying he will get in.

It seems that OLinemen are always regarded as the best at their position. Maybe that's because that's the only way to measure them.

Dermonti Dawson was the best center of his day and has been called the best at his position to ever play. I don't think that will get him in any faster.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 02-07-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Boselli never came across my lips when talking HOF. Sorry to those guys saying he will get in.

It seems that OLinemen are always regarded as the best at their position. Maybe that's because that's the only way to measure them.

Dermonti Dawson was the best center of his day and has been called the best at his position to ever play. I don't think that will get him in any faster.

I don't think Boselli is even close. I can't imagine what the person arguing his case comes up with.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I don't think Boselli is even close. I can't imagine what the person arguing his case comes up with.

the 2 things i remember about tony are being the first guy picked by the jags and that medical scandal the jags had where they were forcing guys on the field earlier than they should have (boselli was a big name in that).

wow. we DO agree on some things my friend.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
the 2 things i remember about tony are being the first guy picked by the jags and that medical scandal the jags had where they were forcing guys on the field earlier than they should have (boselli was a big name in that).

wow. we DO agree on some things my friend.

It's a festivus miracle! and it's not even festivus.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
wishbone
High School JV

Does Cris Carter get in? On the first ballot? I think he may be similar to Art Monk where he was in the top 10 for a long time but was not the best at his position in any one year maybe.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'd put Carter in. He stands out in my mind.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
Hurst2112
College Starter

course chris carter does. 'all he does is catch touchdowns'
Old 02-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Carter had 122 catches in a year in back to back seasons.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 02-07-2006 at 01:54 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #23
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think Derrick Thomas really hurt his chances with his past couple seasons.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #24
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
I think Derrick Thomas really hurt his chances with his past couple seasons.

oh hell that's funny. disgustingly funny.