Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
IwasHere
Banned

"Premiering NFL games this fall"

I caught this little "Snip" durring the Super Bowl pregame show from the NFL Network. "Premiering NFL games this fall"

So, what are they talking about?

Is the NFL going to allow the NFL network to replay it's games from the previous week on the NFL Network?

Everyone else is doing it, so why not the NFL? You would be able to watch all the games that were not televised to your local market later during the week.

At 3am on Monday we have an NHL game replayed.
At 2am on Tuesday there is an NCAA football game replayed.
At 4am on Wednesday we have an NBA game replayed.
At 1am on Thursday its a MLB game.
At 2:45am on Friday we have last Sunday's Nascar Race.

So, why not have the NFL replay it's Sunday games during the week?

IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There was already a discussion about this. NFL network is going to televise several live games during the season.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Here's the thread: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=46698
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
IwasHere
Banned

bummer, I think if they replayed their games like everyother sport is doing they would have some very nice ratings
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
bummer, I think if they replayed their games like everyother sport is doing they would have some very nice ratings

I think DirecTV might still own the rights to the replays via Sunday ticket. FWIW DirecTV does show replays of the games w/ everything but the actual plays edited out. It's amazing, but they can condense the entire game to 30 minutes or less.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
I think DirecTV might still own the rights to the replays via Sunday ticket. FWIW DirecTV does show replays of the games w/ everything but the actual plays edited out. It's amazing, but they can condense the entire game to 30 minutes or less.

I would love to know how they do this considering there are 4 15 minute quarters...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
I would love to know how they do this considering there are 4 15 minute quarters...

He said everything but the play - that means no waiting around, huddling, galloping back to the line of scrimmage, reviews, time outs, etc. Just the play.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

But, the time spend during plays is actually less than 30 minutes.

They don't show huddles, commentary, commercials. They just show a play, then the next play, then the next, etc. Typically takes less about 30 minutes, and you see every bit of football action.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
But, the time spend during plays is actually less than 30 minutes.

They don't show huddles, commentary, commercials. They just show a play, then the next play, then the next, etc. Typically takes less about 30 minutes, and you see every bit of football action.

So despite the play clock running, that's not a "play" to them? Blech, I wouldn't want to watch that. I'd have no problem with a no filler replay where just the time spent with the clock running is shown.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Yeah. I got the similar experience last night because we had to leave our Super Bowl party early due to the daughter needing to go home and sleep. I had the game recorded on the DVR and just zipped to the point I last saw the game before leaving. From there, I mostly managed to FF through all the between-the-play stuff (got rather good at it, actually...still gaffed occasionally, though). I was able to make up enough time that I pretty much caught up with the actual game by the end.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
So despite the play clock running, that's not a "play" to them? Blech, I wouldn't want to watch that. I'd have no problem with a no filler replay where just the time spent with the clock running is shown.

The play clock is often running when the game clock is not. Did you mean the play clock or the game clock? Yours could take more than an hour.

Yeah, its just the time from the ball is snapped to the whistle blowing, with a few seconds in between to get bearings. I don't have TiVO, so I don't actually get them, but some people love to watch this way, it gives them time to watch literally every play of every NFL game.

Even if you spend an hour and 15 minutes, would you really have time to watch every game? I would have trouble watching even the half hour versions, if I had TiVO.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I meant game clock I don't know if I'd do every game in a week but it would be nice for games I missed that I would like to see (good endings, awesome performances, etc)