Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

POL - This is AWESOME!!!

I love this!!!

McCain, Coburn to Challenge Pet Projects

By JENNIFER TALHELM, Associated Press Writer Thu Jan 26, 9:43 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Republicans John McCain and Tom Coburn say they're putting their colleagues on notice: They will challenge special projects that senators insert into spending bills until the practice stops.

McCain, of Arizona, and Coburn, of Oklahoma, say recent congressional scandals stem from lobbyists' ability to persuade lawmakers to designate favored projects in big spending bills, sometimes in secret.

In a letter to fellow senators, McCain and Coburn said the practice — known as earmarking — gives lobbyists too much influence and is growing worse.

"The unsavory practice of inserting such provisions at the last minute stifles debate and empowers well-heeled lobbyists at the expense of those who cannot afford access to power," they wrote.

They said they plan to challenge "future violations of Senate rules" and offer proposals that would make it harder to bury projects without vetting them in public first.

Coburn will offer one amendment for every earmark in an appropriations bill, meaning every earmark would have to be voted on, said Coburn spokesman John Hart. Coburn has also notified Senate leaders that he will try to hold up any spending bill that comes to the floor before members have had 72 hours to read it.

Leaders from both parties are promoting ethics legislation to control lobbying in the wake of corruption scandals involving lobbyist Jack Abramoff and former Rep. Duke Cunningham, R-Calif.

Abramoff has pleaded guilty to federal felony charges related to congressional influence peddling. Cunningham recently pleaded guilty to accepting bribes from defense contractors.

While some have defended earmarks as a way for lawmakers to get needed money for their districts, McCain and Coburn argue the projects should at least be made public.

"Some have merit, some don't," Hart said. "Every senator has the responsibility to bring these projects to the light of day and the best way to do it is through floor debate and floor action."

McCain, Coburn and others have long complained about such projects buried in the transportation, agriculture, defense and other big bills.

They say the problem is growing worse — from 4,126 earmarks in 1994 to 15,268 in 2005. One recent high-profile example is the $328 million "Bridge to Nowhere" for Alaska, which last year came to symbolize irresponsible government spending.

After the plan was publicized, lawmakers removed the earmarks for two Alaska bridges, sending the money to Alaska to decide how to use it.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

When I saw "THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!", I was thinking Bush broke his hip or something.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Until it actually happens, I'm not getting my hopes up.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
KWhit
Coordinator

I have a slight man-crush on John McCain.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
They say the problem is growing worse — from 4,126 earmarks in 1994 to 15,268 in 2005. One recent high-profile example is the $328 million "Bridge to Nowhere" for Alaska, which last year came to symbolize irresponsible government spending.
The late Sen. Proxmire had been highlighting irresponsible government spending for decades, but no one noticed.

Quote:
After the plan was publicized, lawmakers removed the earmarks for two Alaska bridges, sending the money to Alaska to decide how to use it.

Which is the same thing. The Federal Govt should not have had that much money for one project to give, bribe, extort, blackmail, etc. any states or interest group.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
The late Sen. Proxmire had been highlighting irresponsible government spending for decades, but no one noticed.

Y'know, I don't think I realized/noticed that he passed away in December.

In memory of his passing, here's a link to the Golden Fleece Awards Top Ten
http://www.taxpayer.net/awards/goldenfleece/topten.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What would Coburn do about an earmark to combat aggressive lesbians in rural high schools?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

I'm firmly convinced that the answer to aggressive lesbianism is more webcams...
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think Coburn is a good, honest man - except for the part about being a bigot. For the most part, I'd vote for guy like him - but he's prone to saying things that sound Bubba-esque.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well I don't know about honest. I'll admit I'm with him on the earmark issue, but he's said enough foolish things to make me believe he's probably a fool.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Y'know, I don't think I realized/noticed that he passed away in December.

In memory of his passing, here's a link to the Golden Fleece Awards Top Ten
http://www.taxpayer.net/awards/goldenfleece/topten.htm

3. How to Buy Worcestershire Sauce>

The Department of the Army for spending $6,000 in 1981 to prepare a 17-page document that told the federal government how to buy a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.
Only $6,000? That's chump change for the govt.

Last edited by ice4277 : 01-28-2006 at 08:28 AM.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Only $6,000? That's chump change for the govt.

That's just an indicator of a much, much bigger problem.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm not so sure no one noticed nearly so much as no one really cared. Well, not "no one", but really quite a small number.

See, the problem isn't that no one knows this stuff happens. The problem is that hardly anyone actually wants it to stop happening -- the large majority thinks these projects (the earmarked stuff, not the worchestshire study) are great ... as long as they're the beneficiary.

And the preference of the majority is clearly that they'll suffer the projects that don't come their way in order to still have a shot at the brass ring project that might come their way later.

We get the government that we deserve.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But it has and will increasingly come at too high of a cost - not only to our pocketbooks, but to our liberties, to our entreprenuership (sp?), to accountability, to personal responsibilites, to our local and state laws, etc. The Federal Govt has to operate as a one-size-fits-all and given that they unconstitutionally hold too much of the pursestrings, they can weld their power that becomes hidden and unaccountable from most of the citizens. How does this become any different than the English Crown and Parliament (and their immense centralized and distant powers) that we fought against?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That's just an indicator of a much, much bigger problem.

I know, I was trying to be sarcastic. For some reason that never comes across well from me on this board.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote