Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Angry XBox Live Rage

I think I just need to vent right now.

I've been a member of XBox Live pretty much since the beginning. I was one of the beta members, and everything has gone pretty smoothly. Soon after I moved from Louisiana to Pennsylvania, I closed my old bank account in Louisiana since there are no branches here. My billing method for XBox Live was the debit card associated with that old checking account. Apparently, my yearly XBox Live subscription expired a couple of weeks ago, and when they tried to charge the debit card, it was declined because I had closed the account. At that time, Microsoft suspended my XBox Live account, which is certainly understandable.

Because I'm just working a temporary job right now and money is tight, I can't afford a yearly subscription, and I don't want annual or monthly renewals hanging over my head anyway. I figured that I would buy a prepaid card from the store and just renew my subscription with that. So I went to EBGames and bought a 3-month prepaid card for $19.99. I just came home and entered the code from the card, and it didn't work. I called Microsoft to find out what was going on. Their response angered me.

They want me to pay the $49.99 annual renewal fee before I can redeem my prepaid card. The $49.99 fee pays for a year in advance. It's not like I'm ducking the past year that I've had the service. They want me to pay for another year before I can redeem this 3-month card. The only way to unlock my account is to pay them another fifty bucks. Why the hell did I just buy this $20 card, then? I did it because I was trying to save some money. Instead, I'm now out the $20, plus I'll need to spend $50 more if I want to play on XBox Live again. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I used all of the XBox Live time that I've already paid for, and now they won't let me renew my account just because they tried to charge me for another year and couldn't do it.

It takes a lot to get me upset, but this certainly did it. I don't know what I'm going to do about it now. I guess if I can't get this resolved soon, I'll just sell the prepaid code to somebody so they can use it. This is absolutely nuts.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-21-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

did you try speaking to a supervisor, or someone who has the authority to unsuspend your account? cuz that certainly seems quite reasonable.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
did you try speaking to a supervisor, or someone who has the authority to unsuspend your account? cuz that certainly seems quite reasonable.
No, I didn't try that, but I'll call back and give it a shot. I tried to explain my situation to the lady on the phone, and she just kept insisting that I needed to give them a credit card so they could charge me $50. I'll see if I can get a supervisor.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you should definately do that. because the "gatekeeper level" customer service reps are just reading off a script 95% of the time. they're hired just to answer the phone and go by a script. you need someone who is able to THINK and take action to rectify the situation. keep asking to speak to a person up a level and up a level until you reach the person who can do that. it might be a pain, but it seems like it should work.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Pumpy, even on Xbox Live 1, you should have had the ability to change your subscription from yearly to 3-month, although I know that always happened for me if I redeemed a card prior to expiration. Because your subscription is still technically a yearly deal, that might be the problem.

However, from my own experience - they once charged me a day early, and when I went to plug in the three-month card, it showed that I had been renewed. What I did was call them, and they debited back that $50 charge and allowed me to instead use the 3-month card.

See if they'll do that. You provide the card #, they charge the $50 and then charge it back, allowing you to change to the 3 month option. That might be a way around an otherwise (apparently) inflexible computer setup.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

See if they'll do that. You provide the card #, they charge the $50 and then charge it back, allowing you to change to the 3 month option. That might be a way around an otherwise (apparently) inflexible computer setup.

Make sure you get a midly competent CS for that, otherwise you may just end up paying $80 for a year.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just spoke with them again, and because my account is in "transfer" mode (from XBox to XBox 360), they cannot reactivate my account without getting $50 out of me. My only other option is to cancel my account and start a new one, which means a new gamertag, and I'd lose the meager achievements that I've gotten with my current one. This is just too much of a fucking pain, and I really don't trust them enough to do a chargeback of the $50.

Anybody want to extend their XBox Live subscription by 3 months?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I just spoke with them again, and because my account is in "transfer" mode (from XBox to XBox 360), they cannot reactivate my account without getting $50 out of me. My only other option is to cancel my account and start a new one, which means a new gamertag, and I'd lose the meager achievements that I've gotten with my current one. This is just too much of a fucking pain, and I really don't trust them enough to do a chargeback of the $50.

How the hell is a deactivated account in transfer mode?

Oh, and while I was typing this, one of those fucking pop-over java ads went scrolling across my screen. Urge to kill, rising.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
How the hell is a deactivated account in transfer mode?
Well, it went into transfer when I migrated it to my XBox 360, and then they tried to charge me during the migration, I guess. It's funny how I was still able to play online for a week with my XBox 360, though. What a load.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ah.

Well.

Upshot: 360 Live lets you have up to 3 years' subscription time concurrently, so you can add the 3 months on top of a year without wasting money.

Downshot: if you can't afford the $50 in the first place...
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Did you tell them who you were?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Why not just make a new username, and then if your financial situation provides for it, switch back to your old, renewed account in 3 mo.'s?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think Gamertags get recycled after so long a period of inactivity.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

Send them your pic.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm just going to do without for now. I don't know what I'm going to do with the prepaid card yet. I can't take it back to the store, and I know that nobody will buy the code off of me unless they really trust me, so I might be stuck with it. I'm not ready to start a new account yet, so this is kinda the end of things for right now. I am sure that this will get settled at some point down the line.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm just going to do without for now. I don't know what I'm going to do with the prepaid card yet. I can't take it back to the store, and I know that nobody will buy the code off of me unless they really trust me, so I might be stuck with it. I'm not ready to start a new account yet, so this is kinda the end of things for right now. I am sure that this will get settled at some point down the line.

Why wouldn't you be able to take it back to the store? I think if you go in there and explain yourself, they'd be happy to take it back.

knives out
Old 01-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Why wouldn't you be able to take it back to the store? I think if you go in there and explain yourself, they'd be happy to take it back.
You have to scratch the back of the card to expose the code on it. They would have a hard time selling a card that had the back scratched off.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #18
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You have to scratch the back of the card to expose the code on it. They would have a hard time selling a card that had the back scratched off.

ah

knives out
Old 01-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Microsoft instructs stores not to accept cards back in that condition.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 AM   #20
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'd say do another gtag temporarily, then update the other one whenever. Maybe you can find a free 2-month code somewhere to get 5 months or something. Good luck
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote