Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Dunleavy
High School JV

Theo Walcott - Wonder Kid Footballer - "verdict in 24 hours," says Wenger

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...355671&cc=5901

the lastest "Walcott verdict in 24 hours," says Wenger

as a big Arsenal fan would love to see this deal get done as it's been in the balance for about a week. even though i've never really seen him play i hear great things, and i trust Wenger judgement of talent so anyone he is after this bad has to be great. i wish he'd allow the kid to remain at Southhampton on loan till season end if thats what it takes to finalize the deal. anyhow i like the kid already since he's ruled out Chelsa picking Wenger over Mourinho.

Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

I wish Southampton would let the kid stay on and try to help them get back into the playoff race. But such is the nature of English football today that such talented youngsters get poached as quickly as possible. As a Southampton follower, it saddens me to say that it looks like the team are going to become a Championship regular, with occasional stints into the EPL.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I wish Southampton would let the kid stay on and try to help them get back into the playoff race. But such is the nature of English football today that such talented youngsters get poached as quickly as possible. As a Southampton follower, it saddens me to say that it looks like the team are going to become a Championship regular, with occasional stints into the EPL.

Saints have no option but to sell Walcott now. He has a clause in his scholarship contract that will release him as a free agent if he chooses to exercise it. Southampton would only get a fraction of his worth in compensation through a tribunal if that happened.

To be fair to the club they are getting a lot of money for a 16-year old and they are apparently trying to negotiate loaning him back until the end of the season although Wenger appears against the idea.
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Dunleavy
High School JV

RoastDuck is right, the last thing Southhampton wants to do is go to a tribunal, their board know this and are pushing for the deal to get done. pure speculation but i'm guessing the on going negations are over if Walcott can remain at Southhampton till end of season. here's the bit on 16 year olds pre-contracts

"Walcott has a pre-contract agreement with Southampton to sign a professional deal on his 17th birthday on March 16. However, Walcott can sign for another club after his birthday with the Saints entitled to compensation (i.e. tribunal)."
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Critch
lolzcat

Done deal now, apparently. 5 million pounds up front, rising to 12.5 million based on future performance.

A lot of money for a 16 year old, but it should help Burley bring in the players needed to get them challenging for promotion next season.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good for Walcott- playing under Wenger is probably a better way to insure one's future than playing under Rupert Lowe's minions - they would have run him ragged this season.

I'm sad Liverpool were never really in the race to sign him, since he was/is a lifelong Reds fan, but I'd rather see him at Arsenal than Chelski or Man U - silver lining and all that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

was gonna post about the done deal. Quick question: is he that good? Are we really talking about the next Thierry Henry?

I've just started paying more attention to the EPL in real life, most of what I know about the players is through playing FM/WSM

FM
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Jennifer Walcott is better...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
AlexB
Pro Starter

The kid's only 16, and has pace to burn and if he was in the US 'would make a lot of highlight reels'

But because he's young, he's inconsistent, and doesn't dominate games yet. I've seen him a couple of times - once on TV he was pretty good and had a few moments of great skill. Live, against Leicester, he was pants - did fuck all and was offside all the time.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote