Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

anyone had multiple concussions?

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the long term effects of concussions. I have had eight, with my most recent one coming this past monday.

The prior ones i have had ranged from being knocked totally unconscious for about 3 minutes, to losing part of my field of vision for 3 days, to forgetting 2 days in their entirety, and i have always recovered without any serious problems.

The reason i am a little freaked right now is because the one i gave myself on monday didnt really seem like much to me when it happened...i had some coordination and balance problems, a ripping headache, and some problems concentrating on what i was doing at an exact moment (immediate short term memory) but after a couple days of solid sleep, i thought i was fine, with the only thing left bothering me being a little balance problem. (i feel like i had a few beers when i close my eyes or bend down and stand up fast) . the concern however came about last night when i got a headache so bad at work after about 2 hours of working on the same task at my computer that i almost threw up from the pain. i ususally have no problems working at a computer that long, and this morning, i feel fine with regards to the headache, but still feel the same slight balance issue...

just wondering if anyone has known anyone or has had themselves problems with repetitive concussion syndrome, and if that might be what i am dealing with? thanks in advance for all the jokes sure to come at my expense (and for the help)

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Are you Chris Miller?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I have not been concussed.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Damn, I was just going to make a Steve Young joke too. You beat me to it, gottimd.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I gave my brother a concussion once. Well, not directly, but we found a large cardboard tube laying at the bottom of the hill my parents live next to and we decided it would be fun to roll down in it. But I didn't want to, so my cousin and I goaded him into doing it. Needless to say, he wasn't feeling too good the rest of the day.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic
Damn, I was just going to make a Steve Young joke too. You beat me to it, gottimd.
That's a great pic of Steve Young.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dang, what do you do for a living? You a crash test dummy?

FM
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Sorry....don't forget about Troy.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
PilotMan
Head Coach

Talk to Merril Hodge. Honestly, if it came that easy maybe it is time for an MRI.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I've had a couple concussions over the years...the worse one as a result of an elbow in the chops while playing hockey about 10 years ago. I don't really remember much of the game following that hit but afterwards when I bent down to untie my skates I just about hurled on the spot. So, after eventually getting my gear off, my roommate took me to the hospital where I spent the night puking my guts out. That was my last concussion (I've probably had three) and do not suffer from any post-concussion syndromes.

Have you been to a doctor to get checked out??
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
Have you been to a doctor to get checked out??

no, because the primary symptoms werent really a big deal to me, and i was more or less fine all day yesterday. i figured the rest of the effects would just go away too until they got worse instead.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I had 3 concussions which is why I stopped playing H.S. Football (well my mom had a lot to do with that decision at the time too.) I had some similar symptoms to what you are describing. I'd strongly recommend that you go see your primary care doctor if you need a referral or go directly to see a neurologist.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

2 severe concussions. One where I couldn't speak and just slurred and my entire right side went numb. The other where everything was spinning, I wanted to sleep and was throwing up all over the place.

No after effects though...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Seriously, you say you had 8 concussion, in what kind of situations? I mean, do you play some violent sport or something, or do these happen in more normal everyday life situation?

Just wondering...

FM
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I am wondering the same thing as everyone else... How in the world do you get all of these concussions? I mean, you don't just get a concussion watching Jay Leno.

I had one. The result of a car accident when I was 10. I made a lovely basketball size dent in the windshield with my head and actually saw double. I told the doctor I was fine, but I wasn't sure which one he really was. The doc told my mother that I had a concussion, and to watch me, I'd be fine. Scary...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Anyone watch The Office?

Remember last weeks episode? lol...
Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #18
Masked
College Starter

Stop whatever you are doing when you get all these concussions.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone watch The Office?

Remember last weeks episode? lol...

my wife told me monday night she got a paper cut on her finger and asked me if i thought i needed a catscan .

in order
1. fell on ice, smacked back of head on sheet of ice
2. hit by tractor trailer, knocked unconscious for 3 minutes
3. kicked in side of head after being knocked down in a HS basketball game
4. hit back of head against cinder block wall (stupid accident)
5. cant remember exactly?
6. hit top of head against a ceiling pillar (was bent over, someone pushed me from behind)
7. very bad car accident..knocked the rear window of my pickup truck out of the frame instead of breaking it.
8. (monday)hit right temple area against the underside of the solid oak kitchen table (stupid accident again)

my doc told me after number 7 that i would have a much easier time getting them because of the number and severity of the previous ones (I am brett lindros)
Old 01-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
bbor
Pro Starter

I got one from a nice slew foot while playing hockey.I was out for about 10 seconds,came to and tried to stand up and could'nt...i was like damn....i broke my legs.Then i realized they were just turned into jelly.I never puked but the world was upside down for awhile.I had to be woken up that night every 2 hours to make sure i was still alive.Best part about it was my wife grabbing my hockey stick and looking for the guy that did it in the parking lot later that night....that's when i knew it was love

4 weeks later i was playing in the finals against the same team....i went into the corner after the puck and the guy who slew footed me came in after me....yelling that he was gonna nail me again.I turned around dropped my gloves and punched him in the face as he was skating full force towards me....3 hours later i was back in the hospital to stich up my knuckle where i broke off his front 2 teeth.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....hockey is NOT a violent sport

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #22
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I heart bbor

FM
Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #23
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
my wife told me monday night she got a paper cut on her finger and asked me if i thought i needed a catscan .

in order
6. hit top of head against a ceiling pillar (was bent over, someone pushed me from behind)
7. very bad car accident..knocked the rear window of my pickup truck out of the frame instead of breaking it.
8. (monday)hit right temple area against the underside of the solid oak kitchen table (stupid accident again)

my doc told me after number 7 that i would have a much easier time getting them because of the number and severity of the previous ones (I am brett lindros)

two things:
1) dude, you're the unlickiest man alive...
2) I'm surprised you can remember anything about them past that #5...

Best of luck with it though...

FM
Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #24
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Dola....hockey is NOT a violent sport

i think that is where number 5 came from, playing goalie in a street hockey game, i seem to recall butterflying down and trapping the puck with my catching mitt just in time to have one of the other teams guys slap me square in the cage with his stick (on purpose to make me lift up) and rattling my head. not sure about that one though.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #25
Travis
Pro Rookie

My personal best is two pretty good ones in 6 days (first resulted in a 40 minute walking blackout, second was combined with alcohol and resulted in a longer unconscious blackout). In total I'm guessing I'm at around 5 or 6 in total now, but I've never had any symptoms stick around like what you're experiencing. My assumption would be that your history makes any concusion you get now that much more likely to increase in severity because of your history (as mentioned), so it would likely be a great idea to get into the doc's and see just where you're at. Not only to verify if you need anything done now, but so that they know going forward (if you've already had 8, guessing the odds of adding a 9th are pretty good).
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

I saw a guy get a concussion last night during a boxing match. He went to the hospital, turned out to be a mild concussion.

I have a boxing match tonight, I hope I didn't jinx myself.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #27
bbor
Pro Starter

I think you should wear a hockey helmet full time now just to make sure you don't get another one.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

I had 5 concussions by the time I was 18, all from playing sports (3 from baseball, 1 from hockey, 1 from volleyball). I haven't had any since.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #29
Drake
assmaster

I've had a few concussions from passing out (heart irregularity). My most recent one (June of last year) was the first time I had any real problems. I'm just now getting over Post Concussion Syndrome. Mine was marked by severe panic attacks. Of course, I did the whole neurologist/MRI's thing before he just put me on some anti-anxiety meds and told me to check back with him if I wasn't feeling normal by the end of December.

As of the end of December, I was able to stop taking my meds without feeling panicked, light-headed, dizzy, etc. I'll tell you this: I'll never again say someone who has chronic panic attacks should just "get a grip and move on". They're absolutely debilitating, and nothing you try to do to calm yourself works. Just an absolute nightmare.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

in order

I would say you are Charlie Chaplin.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #31
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
I've had a few concussions from passing out (heart irregularity). My most recent one (June of last year) was the first time I had any real problems. I'm just now getting over Post Concussion Syndrome. Mine was marked by severe panic attacks. Of course, I did the whole neurologist/MRI's thing before he just put me on some anti-anxiety meds and told me to check back with him if I wasn't feeling normal by the end of December.

As of the end of December, I was able to stop taking my meds without feeling panicked, light-headed, dizzy, etc. I'll tell you this: I'll never again say someone who has chronic panic attacks should just "get a grip and move on". They're absolutely debilitating, and nothing you try to do to calm yourself works. Just an absolute nightmare.

I have/had panic attacks.....the meds have changed my life.I did nothing but lay in bed for 6 months while i was diagnosed.Glad to see you are getting over them.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #32
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

LMAO!!

Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have had my first concussions being older and playing football...the first one happened three years ago in our Utah Indoor Football League, I placed the Schutt letters of my helmet right into a guys earhole....we both slept for a bit...

Two years ago, Head to head collision with one of my DL, knocked me out cold....sad thing is, I played the rest of the game, had one of the better games of my career from what I can tell, and I don't remember anything past the 1st quarter.

Last year, I collided with a running back, we both went straight up, and then fell over....I broke all the clips that hold my face mask to my helmet, and bruised my nose....It was mild, and I continiued to play, great game for me....

I hate em, but from what I understand, once you get them, you will get the next one easier than the previous....
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

5 concussions for me..

3 within 11 months.

the last one was in my last hockey game senior year. i blacked out, came to, lied to the coaches, stayed in the same, took another headshot. blacked out again. convinced the trainers i was fine, finished the game then went to the ER a few days later where they told me my playing days were over.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #35
DeToxRox
Head Coach

dola: today i get migranes (never had them before), my short term memory isn't very good and i have a lot of neck pains at certain times (never had before)
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #36
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
LMAO!
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #37
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

in order

Man... At this point I wouldn't even play catch with your kid and a nerf ball. I could actually see a comedy starting up about you though... You get knocked unconscious getting a haircut, it starts to rain, etc.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #38
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My sister has had a couple of concussions from car accidents. As a result she has a bunch of weird neurological conditions. One of them is that her legs kick like mad while she sleeps. She has to take enough muscle relaxants to stop a large animal to prevent her from kicking the heck out of her husband. I guess that might not be from the concussions...her back hips kinda got screwed up in the car accidents too (She was T-boned at intersections on two occassions). She suffers from a pretty hefty case of post concussion syndrome. She has improved much over the past few years. At one time she had a big problem communicating because her word selections were just a bit "off". After a while her co-workers labeled her the walking thesaurus, because you could describe a word to her, and she'd come up with lots of similar things, but almost never the one word you were looking for. It was trouble at work, but fun for us family members at family get togethers.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote