Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Triple G
n00b

Post Best NFL Draft Class Ever?

Sorry if this topic has been posted before but I thought it would make for interesting discussion between everyone on this board.

What in your opinion was the best NFL Draft Class of all time? Overall talent and best players. Maybe you think it was 1983 with all the QBs or 1996 with all the standout WRs.

Feel free to post what Draft you think was the best in NFL History.

-Triple G

Triple G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
primelord
Pro Rookie

I would think '83 is probably pretty tough to beat. In addition to the QB's Eric Dickerson, Bruce Matthews, and Darrell Green came out of that 1st round.

And there were a large number of otehr guys who while maybe not quite in that elite status they were very productive. Guys like Roger Craig, Henry Ellard, Willie Gault, etc.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

If you looked at just the top 5 picks, 1989 was outstanding. Aikman, Mandarich (doh!), Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders. Three locks for the HOF, one potential HOFer, and Mandarich, despite being a poster boy for busting, still managed an OK career.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
The_herd
College Starter

'83, hands down, no question about it. Go look at a list of players that came out of that draft. No draft will EVER top it.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think this draft.. while light on Rb's and Outside Linebackers(if i recall correctly.. the 89 draft was light on olb's as well) Might be the best..

So many good qb's.. Who will be this years Mcnabb.. and who will be this years Couch(good but gets hurt every year)

I just have this errie feeling Leftwich is gonna be this years Couch but he also has the potential to be this years Mcnabb
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

This draft is really weak in my opinion. When a guy who didn't complete 50% of his passes in his college career can jump up to a possible top 10 pick, somethings wrong. No RBs (except McGahee). No LB's outside of Boss Bailey and E.J. Henderson really. The receiver position has 2 studs and then a lot of questions. The offensive line prospects are average. The secondary has 2 studs, then its a crapshoot. The only true strength of this draft is the defensive line right now.

Last edited by The_herd : 04-18-2003 at 08:51 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:25 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
If you looked at just the top 5 picks, 1989 was outstanding. Aikman, Mandarich (doh!), Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders. Three locks for the HOF, one potential HOFer, and Mandarich, despite being a poster boy for busting, still managed an OK career.

Just out of curiousity, which of the four non-Mandarich's is not a Hall of Fame lock?

I think all four are near certain first ballot HOFers, but if I was guessing, Aikman would be the odd man out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:30 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

I would have guessed Thomas because he didn't get to finish his career. I'd think Aikman is more of a lock than Sanders, that's just a gut reaction though without refreshing myself on either's numbers or anything. Aikman is nowhere near the best QB ever of course, but he gets mentioned in the same breath as Starr, Bradshaw and Montana for leading a "dynasty" and making Dallas the team of the 90s.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:54 AM   #9
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
I'd think Aikman is more of a lock than Sanders, that's just a gut reaction though without refreshing myself on either's numbers or anything..

I See we have had a few too many....Aikman more a lock than Barry eh? hmmm...no one ever mentions troy when talking about the best QB of all time...Sanders ALWAYS is brought up.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:00 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Um... I think he was refering to DEION Sanders!
Old 04-19-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
JeffNights
College Prospect

I see, the point is conceded then : )
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:30 AM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

This is coming from a Kc Native.. But i really do not think of Derrick Thomas as a Nfl Hof'er..

Sure.. he has the record for most sacks in a game, but he has just as many illegitimate children(a fact the media here was none to shy to reveal.. over and over again)

When his ballot comes up, his name is going to be dragged through the mud again, and I really don't wanna have my memories of the guy(who quite honestly did a ton for charity here) ruined by that again.

-----------------------------------
Back to his skills(which is whats important)
However, as a player.. Derrick was very one dimensional, and had the tackling skills equal to Deion.. But oh could he rush the passer.. So when i guess it comes down to it.. if Reggie white(equally one dimensional, hell maybe moreso) can get in the hof, why not Derrick Thomas?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 07:08 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think all three of those guys will get in easily.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #14
oykib
College Starter

If Deion doesn't get in on the first ballot, then whoever voted that yer needs to turn in their credentials.

Everyone in that group except Mandarich is first-ballot. Only Thomas is even slightly questionable.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:45 AM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think all four will be in first ballot, also.

If anyone does not vote for Barry Sanders, they should have their voting privileges revoked.

Troy Aikman with his success and modestly successful numbers teamed with the fact that he was a golden boy for most of his career.

Derrick Thomas was behind only L.T. as far as OLB dominance in my lifetime and played long enough, despite his unfortunate death. If L.T. can get in with his coke habit and arrests, I don't think a few illegitimate kids will ruin his chances.

Deion Sanders is one of the greatest shutdown corners in history, has his personality/media buzz going for him, and has won his share of championships. He is in easily.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #16
Craptacular
College Starter

My thoughts in posting that comment were that Aikman, Barry, and Deion were locks, and that Derrick Thomas was the possibility. Personally, I think DT has (and deserves) a good shot, but I don't think he's a "lock."
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

DAVID F'N KLINGLER.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 12:47 PM   #18
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I thought this thread was for an individual team...so I was all ready to come in here and post the '74 Steelers (four HOF picks in the first five rounds).

If you're considering the entire league, though, I'd probably have to go with 1983.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #19
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Yeah 1983 was a real gem.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #20
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

DAVID F'N KLINGLER.

Well, David Klingler waas David Klingler. But how much of these first-round busts were because they were bad players, and how much was because they went to a bad organization?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote