Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Overuse of Kool-Aid

ENOUGH.

Ok, I get it. It was even cute at first. Jim Jones brainwashed a bunch of people and made them all drink poison Kool-Aid. Therefore, when you are trying to indicate that someone is following conventional wisdom that you consider to be incorrect, you mention that they are "drinking the Kool-Aid." i.e. that they are adopting a herd-like, cultish mentality couched in ignorance and antithetical to the light of reason.

Please note well: IT STOPPED BEING CUTE AND CREATITIVE ONCE EVERYONE STARTING USING IT.

I can't go five minutes without hearing/reading about someone "drinking the George W. Bush Kool-Aid" or "accepting the Michael Moore Kool-Aid" or "sipping from the Michigan Kool-Aid." Arrgghh.

Sometimes people have different opinions than you. Sometimes they share those opinions with other like-minded individuals. Every time this happens is not an occasion to note that you are so much more correct than they are that they resemble the brainwashed.

People can support a football team or a political ideology that differs from yours without rising to the level of suicidal stupidity.

Most importantly, it is no longer cute, creatitive, funny, or original.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-22-2005 at 03:23 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm not drinking that albionmoonlight Kool-Aid.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
John Galt
Pro Starter

"Oh Yeah!"
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

But is it cocky?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Huh huh. He said creatitive. Twice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
vtbub
College Starter

Remember, politically correct Kool-Aid has no sugar, no color, and tastes like organic veggies.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

I prefer Country Time lemonade.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I like KoolAid
Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
SlapBone
High School JV

They started selling Splenda in big packages, so I don't think drinking the SlapBone kool-aid is quite as unhealthful as it once was.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll drink to School Aides. Cheers!

Last edited by Kodos : 08-22-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I used to love Sunshine Punch Kool-Aid.. unfortunately, they stopped making it about 20 years ago.

Fuckers...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sugar-Free Kook-Aid is a great soft sub for people that overdrink softdrinks like me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
I used to love Sunshine Punch Kool-Aid.. unfortunately, they stopped making it about 20 years ago.

Fuckers...

According to this, you might be able to recreate that magic on your own with a little patience and, of course, sugar to taste

Enjoy
http://www.x-entertainment.com/kool-...unch/index.php

edit to add: apparently, reproducing the flavor correctly is a matter of some difference of opinion. Scroll down far enough & you'll see that this guy has a different recipe.
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/P...70/PACKAGE.HTM

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-22-2005 at 05:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Don't throw "drinking the Kool-Aid" under the buss.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Thank you albion. I had never used such an expression. I will now use it at some point tonight, tomorrow, and every day thereafter.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ENOUGH.

Ok, I get it. It was even cute at first. Jim Jones brainwashed a bunch of people and made them all drink poison Kool-Aid. Therefore, when you are trying to indicate that someone is following conventional wisdom that you consider to be incorrect, you mention that they are "drinking the Kool-Aid." i.e. that they are adopting a herd-like, cultish mentality couched in ignorance and antithetical to the light of reason.

Please note well: IT STOPPED BEING CUTE AND CREATITIVE ONCE EVERYONE STARTING USING IT.

I can't go five minutes without hearing/reading about someone "drinking the George W. Bush Kool-Aid" or "accepting the Michael Moore Kool-Aid" or "sipping from the Michigan Kool-Aid." Arrgghh.

Sometimes people have different opinions than you. Sometimes they share those opinions with other like-minded individuals. Every time this happens is not an occasion to note that you are so much more correct than they are that they resemble the brainwashed.

People can support a football team or a political ideology that differs from yours without rising to the level of suicidal stupidity.

Thank you for your time.
Yes, but if you want to try and marginalize who you are arguing with and make it sound like their position is so stupid that only the brainwashed would believe it, clearly this is the cliche to use

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-22-2005 at 06:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #17
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I teach 3rd grade...I'm drinking Kool-Aid all the damn time.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Funny, because that sounds a lot like something the Nazis would have said too!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

I have actually never heard of this phrase being used in this way. Go figure.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #20
Raven Hawk
College Starter

When I drink my Chicago Bears Kool-Aid, it fully justifies its intended meaning.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

Agree 100%. Whenever I see someone use that phrase, I know they have no idea what they're talking about. It's just a cliche people use when they can't actually come up with an argument.

Same thing like saying "I would respond but it isn't worth it" = "I can't come up witha good argument so I'll personally attack you instead" And about a dozen over used cliches that mean they are clueless.

And on a related note, I love Kool-Aid!

Last edited by sabotai : 08-22-2005 at 11:04 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM   #22
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
ENOUGH.

Thank you for your time.

Tell them you're a rebel and you drink Tang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Tell them you're a rebel and you drink Tang.
Or tell them you're rich and you drink Tang.

Mix the powder with water? I have other people do that for me!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #24
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
According to this, you might be able to recreate that magic on your own with a little patience and, of course, sugar to taste

You know, for some reason, that is one of those things I never bothered to google.. I haven't had kool-aid in years so, worth a shot. Thanks...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yes, but if you want to try and marginalize who you are arguing with and make it sound like their position is so stupid that only the brainwashed would believe it, clearly this is the cliche to use

By golly, I do believe you've hit upon the exact reason the phrase is used. And for that purpose, I find it to be reasonably effective.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Berry Blue was my all time favorite flavor. Purplesaurus Rex and Sharkleberry Fin were up there too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #27
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

I'll tell you what dream used to scare me as a kid, used to actually totally give me nightmares, remeber those kool-aid comercials? where that, no that big talking bowl of punch, he would come crashing through your fucking wall in the living room you wouldn't even know know he would just BOOUF!!! (Exploding Sound) oh yeah!, oh yeah!, oh yeah!!!right, and the little kids were all excited, YES, YES!!! and then they would drink out of him after debris fell in his open dumb head, he would pour himself, OH YEAH! OH YEAH!...him and his crazy tights...I don't like that, I don't like when juice wears tights, it's a horrible combination, a bowl of juice wearing tights, fuck drinking out of him, If that was me I'd be like oh no no no no no, you fix that wall before dad gets home from work, hes gonna beat me with a belt he's not gonna believe a talking bowl of fruit punch came in here, you stupid idiot, yeah comin' through the wall is real fuckin' cool, using the front door is cool don't touch me you drink! don't touch me you giant beverage, you are sweating or condensating I will kick you in the tights and you will go down your very top-heavy, you glass bitch, you glass bastard! OH YEAH! Oh No!

Last edited by ageofquarrel : 08-23-2005 at 08:19 AM.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #28
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I don't care much if someone is in George Bush's Kool Aid or Michael Moore's Kool Aid, but I do hate it when people get all up in my Kool Aid.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The license plate better not come up under your name, albion, or you got some 'splainin' to do...

Old 08-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #30
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
I'll tell you what dream used to scare me as a kid, used to actually totally give me nightmares, remeber those kool-aid comercials? where that, no that big talking bowl of punch, he would come crashing through your fucking wall in the living room you wouldn't even know know he would just BOOUF!!! (Exploding Sound) oh yeah!, oh yeah!, oh yeah!!!right, and the little kids were all excited, YES, YES!!! and then they would drink out of him after debris fell in his open dumb head, he would pour himself, OH YEAH! OH YEAH!...him and his crazy tights...I don't like that, I don't like when juice wears tights, it's a horrible combination, a bowl of juice wearing tights, fuck drinking out of him, If that was me I'd be like oh no no no no no, you fix that wall before dad gets home from work, hes gonna beat me with a belt he's not gonna believe a talking bowl of fruit punch came in here, you stupid idiot, yeah comin' through the wall is real fuckin' cool, using the front door is cool don't touch me you drink! don't touch me you giant beverage, you are sweating or condensating I will kick you in the tights and you will go down your very top-heavy, you glass bitch, you glass bastard! OH YEAH! Oh No!

Combine this with the Dane Cook thread, and it makes much more sense.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #31
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

That wasn't poison in ageofquarrel's Kool-aid.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #32
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Haha, truly one of his best bits
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Throwing someone "Under the Bus" is starting to hit "Kool Aid" type proportions.

Last edited by stevew : 01-17-2006 at 07:02 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #34
Airhog
Captain Obvious

when did drinking the Kool-Aid, jump the shark?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #35
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Its hard to say what is the best post in this thread. ageofquarrel's is definitely up there. I imagine him angrily pounding out the words on his keyboard as his boyhood memories come flooding back and he finally tell that "bowl of punch" what he really thinks. At the opposite end of the spectrum is JG with his two-word zinger. Impeccable timing. I think the award, however, must go to Surtt. The way he misspelled bus gives his post the extra little twist that puts it over the top.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
"Oh Yeah!"

*backs silently out of the hole in the wall*
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #37
Anthony
Banned

he all up in the Kool Aid and he don't even know the flava.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote