Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

The Bronco's win was an upset? I could have sworn they were favored at home?

I know we are all getting tired of Bronco's fans complaining about the over coverage of the Patriots loss instead of their win and we counter by explaining how they are not recognizing the amazing feat of Brady being 11-0 in the playoffs, but I would think they have reason to be pissed about articles like this. How much research and editing is actually put into journalism anymore?

Upset Victories Lift Steelers, Broncos

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I know we are all getting tired of Bronco's fans complaining about the over coverage of the Patriots loss instead of their win and we counter by explaining how they are not recognizing the amazing feat of Brady being 11-0 in the playoffs, but I would think they have reason to be pissed about articles like this. How much research and editing is actually put into journalism anymore?

10-1, dammit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

According to my wife, not much...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

And I think you are missing that the fact Brady was 10-0 in the playoffs and how amazing it was is why Denver should be getting more credit for their win.

Read idiots like Wojo and some fans and Denver was given the football game and didn't do a thing to deserve it.

As far as the "upset" article, the prevailing notion all week from the experts is that Denver would lose the game. Only a few people picked a team which went 13-3 to have much of a chance. It wasn't an upset. It's only the media who seems to think it is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Read idiots like Wojo and some fans and Denver was given the football game and didn't do a thing to deserve it.

Don't worry about it. He did the same thing with his writeup on the Texas win over USC. You know, completely ignoring the multitude of events that didn't fit with that theory such as Texas' fumbles, stupid penalties, etc.

I'm pretty sure it just means he predicted New England would win. His postgame columns generally serve to help him convince himself he made the right pick even though it was wrong.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know we are all getting tired of Bronco's fans complaining about the over coverage of the Patriots loss instead of their win ...
Yes, many of us are.
Quote:
... and we counter by explaining how they are not recognizing the amazing feat of Brady being 11-0 in the playoffs, but I would think they have reason to be pissed about articles like this. How much research and editing is actually put into journalism anymore?

What was faulty about the research and editing? I see no factual errors regarding coverage of the Broncos/Patriots game. Where were errors made?

The could certainly be a quibble about portraying the Broncos as the underdog. The betting line did favor them. But so far every "NFL expert" list I've seen has shown that most were picking the Patriots, for very legitimate reasons.

The Broncos win and Patriots loss was described as "improbable" in the article. OK, who predicted that the Patriots would fumble five times and lose the way they did? That is the very definition of improbable.

Perhaps I'm sensitive to it because I hate the Broncos and Mike Shanahan, but this just seems to be the most grousing I've ever heard from a team WHO WON. Maybe that's what the Broncos need. Maybe they need to play the nobody-respects-us card to show up against Pittsburgh. I would think playing for a Super Bowl bid would be enough, but obviously I'm wrong. Please resume howling at the wind.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Yes, many of us are.
What was faulty about the research and editing? I see no factual errors regarding coverage of the Broncos/Patriots game. Where were errors made?

The could certainly be a quibble about portraying the Broncos as the underdog. The betting line did favor them. But so far every "NFL expert" list I've seen has shown that most were picking the Patriots, for very legitimate reasons.

The Broncos win and Patriots loss was described as "improbable" in the article. OK, who predicted that the Patriots would fumble five times and lose the way they did? That is the very definition of improbable.

Perhaps I'm sensitive to it because I hate the Broncos and Mike Shanahan, but this just seems to be the most grousing I've ever heard from a team WHO WON. Maybe that's what the Broncos need. Maybe they need to play the nobody-respects-us card to show up against Pittsburgh. I would think playing for a Super Bowl bid would be enough, but obviously I'm wrong. Please resume howling at the wind.

Shit, I have no horse in the race either I am a Bengals and Rams fan. Your response seems to think I care about the Broncos. I care about the "upset" win. First of all IMO an upset is when a huge underdog wins. The Steelers would qualify for sure. But even if we don't quantify that it has to be a huge underdog to qualify as an upset, at least be an underdog. The Broncos were favored by 3 points. The betting public (which is in line for the most part with the non-betting public) thought Denver would win. If not then Vegas would have moved the line closer to zero or even in New England's favor. So it isn't a upset, that's the error. The god damn headline!

Last edited by panerd : 01-16-2006 at 04:31 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Yes, many of us are.

If you listen, it's the fans, not the players. The players have been businesslike during this. They didn't say a thing last week about no respect. In fact, they talked the Pats up as much as anyone.

Get pissed at the fans if you want. And by all means continue to despise the Broncos. But don't deflect the fans feelings toward what the players have done. They've kept their mouths shut and went about their business from day one this year.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

If I were Bronco fans , I would worry less about past semantics and more about the Steelers.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
If I were Bronco fans , I would worry less about past semantics and more about the Steelers.

Why? Since when has fan preparation been a factor in big games?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Why? The Steelers are going to be tough to beat. They are a great team and come into Mile High with a boatload of confidence.

But Denver is also a great team. 14 of 16. Two losses by five points. They just played the World Champs and won by two TD's. They are unbeaten at home with an average margain of victory of two TD's.

If we lose, we lose. I'm not a player having to get ready for next week. As a fan, I can think about Saturday nights game into next year if I want.

As for being worried, I'm not. It's been an unexpected season. If you'd told me Denver would go 13-3, beat the Patriots in the playoffs, host an AFC title game and that Jake Plummer would throw 7 INT all year. . . I'd have taken it and ran. Win or lose next week, the season is a success. (again, as a fan I can say that, were I a player I couldn't)

I think Denver wins next week. But if they don't it won't make me unhappy or change my view of the season. And it won't for a second change the fact that I think a majority of the "experts" aren't giving Denver the credit they deserve for beating NE.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If I were a Bronco fan, my team would still be in the playoffs.

Fixed it fer ya.

Crim
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote