Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

PING: Maryland Fans (Tucker QB Prospect Gets Offer From Terps)

http://uga.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=37901

He's a pretty solid prospect. Strong arm, great head for the game, "yes sir, no sir." He's every bit of 190 pounds, too, if not heavier. Very solidly put together. He's got very good speed when he gets out of the pocket. No idea where he's leaning at this point, but spring practice starts tomorrow, so I'll try to feel out the rumors from the dads and from the scouts.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So wait, is he a senior and Terps are looking to bring him in?

WE NEED A QB. DESPERATELY. It's a sad statement when our best QB in the 2004 season was a Mechanical Engineering student. ESPECIALLY when the engineering department is one of the top in the country for public schools. Would be interesting to keep an eye on this one..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
So wait, is he a senior and Terps are looking to bring him in?
He'll be a Senior this fall.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

DAMN.
That doesn't help us at all this season.

/tk
Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
DAMN.
That doesn't help us at all this season.

/tk
Any players from anywhere in the country who would be worth anything to Maryland this fall have already signed.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-04-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah yeah I know (I was there for signing day).
But it doesn't mean that we can't hope that some odd prospect came along..

/tk
Old 05-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Havok
College Starter

Maryland actually had its best recruiting class in decades. Unfortunetly we didn't land a stud QB.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
Maryland actually had its best recruiting class in decades. Unfortunetly we didn't land a stud QB.

They said that last season, too, when our recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 in the country. Look how well it served us...

I suppose the only real hope this season is that Steffi (the kid we got last year who got hurt) can step up and do some magic.

/tk
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

I definitely can't stomach another season from Joel "He's like Joe Montana in practice" Statham. I don't think Hollenbach is the answer either. Who knows if Steffy can ever stay heathly. I'd say if a HS QB is looking to make a quick impact for a Top 40 program, Maryland is the place.

Interesting Maryland QB fact: Incoming freshman QB Chris Turner is the son of the original drummer from 80s metal band RATT.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I think many fans (myself and my tailgating group included) will revolt against Fridge if Statham gets more looks this season. He failed miserably all last season (ok, what, one good game) and Fridge wouldn't let go of him and try someone else. Hollenbach isn't the answer, but for performance, he was better than Statham (granted, twice nothing is still nothing).

Steffy.....yeah, who knows what to expect from him. But he has potential at some point...

Didn't know that about Turner. Interesting..

/tk
Old 05-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #11
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They said that last season, too, when our recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 in the country. Look how well it served us...

I suppose the only real hope this season is that Steffi (the kid we got last year who got hurt) can step up and do some magic.

/tk

kristin, outside of an occassional special rare player ala Ted Ginn at Ohio St., incoming freshmen don't often show large scale immediate impacts. Some will play and contribute but most freshmen aren't ready. If that class was indeed that good, it should pay off over the next couple seasons.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Jesus Crhipes you people
I'm not stupid. I hate football, but shit, it's not rocket science.

GIVE ME A BREAK. I KNOW the impact. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, and lets face it, Maryland needs a QB miracle.

The stupidity on this entire forum lately has been pissing me off more and more each year. You can all just go to hell.

/tk
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Jesus Crhipes you people

GIVE ME A BREAK. I KNOW the impact. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, and lets face it, Maryland needs a QB miracle.

The stupidity on this entire forum lately has been pissing me off more and more each year. You can all just go to hell.

/tk

I haven't seen a terp this mad since there was a terrible mistake at Damon's and the Fridge only got half a rack of ribs.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jesus Crhipes you people

/tk

Wow, relax. Nothing in my post was an attack or condescending enough to elicit this response. It was more a direct response to:

Quote:

My point was in time successful recruiting should really pay off, but it requires patience. My apologies is if you were offended. It wasn't intended that way at all. I thought I was simply discussing college football, one of my favorite things to do.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
Wow, relax. Nothing in my post was an attack or condescending enough to elicit this response. It was more a direct response to:

My point was in time successful recruiting should really pay off, but it requires patience. My apologies is if you were offended. It wasn't intended that way at all. I thought I was simply discussing college football, one of my favorite things to do.

yeah.... what he said.

It takes time. Jesus, the man took a shitty football program and went to 3 straight bowl games and won 2. He's aloud to have 1 so-so season.

There wasn't much he could to last season, he had 3 QB's that sucked hard and he now plays in the toughest divison in college football by far.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ben,

Is this a repeat of last year's verbal commit and de-commit days before signing day?

I thought Tucker kids didn't want to go to Maryland.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #17
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Ben,

Is this a repeat of last year's verbal commit and de-commit days before signing day?

I thought Tucker kids didn't want to go to Maryland.
First off, Dwayne hasn't committed anywhere yet. I just was mentioning that y'all had OFFERED him. Second, B.Y. was an unusual case--a kid who spent half the Sundays in the fall on the sidelines of an NFL stadium. He "worked the system" much more than most kids.

There's no particular aversion to Maryland in Tucker. However, for most prospects in this part of the country, if he CAN stay within a few hours' drive of home and still play D-1, he usually will. Now, the QB situation as described here could certainly make Maryland more attractive. However, I just checked (using TCY) and there are 25 D1 programs within 5 hours (350 miles @ 70mph) of Tucker, 14 within 4 hours (280 miles), and 10 (Tech, UGA, Clemson, Auburn, UT, UAB, Troy, MTSU, USC, Bama) than are less than 200 miles away. While Maryland may sound relatively close-by, compared to a place where your family and friends can drive to and from the game on gameday, it isn't nearly as attractive for most kids. I'm looking at Maryland's 2005 class, and this same principle appears to be true for y'all. Out of 24 players you signed, only 6 are from more than a relatively short drive from Maryland. Four of those six are from Florida. Without looking them up, I'd hazard a guess that few/none of the ones from Florida got offers from Miami/Florida/FSU. The one player you got out of Georgia, Barrod Heggs, is listed as having gotten no other offers. The QB you got from Cali had no in-state offers, either.

Generally speaking, most players will only skip over close-by schools for one (or more) of three reasons:

1. Playing time--Maryland might have an edge there for Dwayne, but a UTC or UAB could easily enter the mix for a 3-star player (which is what I'm guessing Dwayne will be.)

2. Prestige--Maryland's probably not prestigious enough at this point to woo a guy like B.Y. from accepting an offer to a middle-of-the-road SEC school like USC. Maryland could perhaps trump offers from Troy St/MTSU/UAB, but if a kid from the Atlanta area is choosing between Maryland and, say, Clemson/USC/Bama, he's far more likely to stay closer to home.

3. Playing for a certain coach/system--(big-timers only)--You'll see a Matthew Stafford pick UGA or FSU over Texas because of the reputations of Richt and Bowden with QB's.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-10-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

OK. I was curious, so I checked. No surprises here

Chris Clinton--no in-state offers listed
Marvin Peoples--UCF was his only in-state
Terrell Skinner--UCF was only in-state
Nolan Carroll--UCF was only in-state

Yup. Pretty much par for the course as far as what I've observed.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:42 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

More on this...

2004 AJC Super11

Player
Pos
School
College
Barr, Travis
LB
Chattahoochee
Central Florida
Blackmon, Tray
LB
LaGrange
Auburn
Clay, Antonio
LB
Twiggs County
Clemson
Dewberry, Darius
OL
Peach County
Georgia
Dunham, Matt
OL
Pacelli
Florida State
Horne, Tyler
QB
Newnan
UAB
Jackson, Charles
OL
Tri-County

Mincey, Justin
DL
Charlton County
Florida State
Perry, Brandon
DL
Hawkinsville
Middle Tennessee
Scott, Chris
OL
Lovejoy
Tennessee
Wright, Tony
RB
Peach County
Coffeyville CC

2003 AJC Super11

Player
Pos
School
College
Brown, Thomas
RB/DB
Tucker
Georgia
Bryant, A.J.
QB
Peach County
Georgia
Ciulla, Jeremy
OL
Kennesaw Mountain
Michigan
Grant, Michael
DB/WR
Stephenson
Georgia
Johnson, Calvin
WR
Sandy Creek
Georgia Tech
Johnson, Charles
DL/RB
Hawkinsville
Georgia
Lester, Brad
RB
Parkview
Auburn
McClendon, Eric
DL/E
Vidalia
Georgia
Miller, Brandon
LB/RB
Miller County
Georgia
Walker, Darius
RB
Buford
Notre Dame
Washington, Lorenzo
DL
Grayson
Alabama

2002 AJC Super11

Player
Pos
School
College
Bailey, Sean
WR/DB
Milton
Georgia
Cook, Richard
DL
Washington-Wilkes
Georgia
Evans, Jason
RB/DB
Harrison
Stanford
Lumpkin, Kregg
RB
Stephenson
Georgia
McKinzey, Zeb
OL/DL
Parkview
Georgia
Mitchell, Blake
QB
LaGrange
South Carolina
Oliver, Paul
DB/WR
Harrison
Georgia
Roberson, Avery
DB
Washington
Georgia Tech
Thompson, Josh
DL
Statesboro
Auburn
Watson, Coleman
TE/DL
North Springs
Georgia
Williams, Des
LB
Dacula
Georgia

2001 AJC Super11

Player
Pos
School
College
Braley, Andrew
LB
Valdosta
Air Force
Burnam, Kevis
LB
Macon County
Auburn
Cooper, Michael
RB
Screven County
Georgia
Falaise, Merci
OL
Washington-Wilkes
N.C. State
Harris, John
WR
Americus
NW Mississippi CC
Pope, Leonard
TE
Americus
Georgia
Reddick, Troy
OL
Westover
Auburn
Stuckey, Chansi
QB
Northside (Warner Robins)
Clemson
Taylor, Tony
LB
Oconee County
Georgia
Tereshinski, Joe
QB
Athens Academy
Georgia
Tyler, Justin
QB
Jones County
Mississippi State

So, in the last four years, Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Air Force were the only non-Southeastern-US states to land prize prospects from Georgia. Not surprising, and I don't think this is particularly unique to our state, either. I just checked Southern Cal's roster. Only 16 of their 90 players listed are from outside of California and Arizona. This is one big reason why the year-in-year-out elite college football programs are ones that are located in or near the Big Five recruiting hotbed states (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio).
Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #20
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is one big reason why the year-in-year-out elite college football programs are ones that are located in or near the Big Five recruiting hotbed states (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio).

This is very true. On an interesting related note, a guy recenty hypothesized to me that the demise of the blue collar Western Pennsylvania steeltowns can be directly linked to the decline of Penn State. There is still quite a bit of talent in PA, but once upon a time, I might have put them ahead of Ohio on that list. No more.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

FYI. Y'all are really, really close to landing the kid who started the season as perhaps THE most underrated player in the state of Georgia, none other than Myke Compton of Tucker, who they've promised to let play RB. If this happens, two things:

1. You're getting one of my favorite kids of all-time.
2. Once he earns significant playing time, Maryland instantly becomes my second-favorite team to watch.

I mean, really, who couldn't love this kid?

On another note, Dwayne's official visit to Central Michigan, scheduled for this weekend, is off.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Well Maryland recruited one of the Gronkowski brothers to play quarterback adn converted him into a TE. He has great size for a TE but they may have missed on the boat on him as a QB

Last edited by BuffaloHuskey : 01-10-2006 at 08:57 AM.
BuffaloHuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #23
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
This is one big reason why the year-in-year-out elite college football programs are ones that are located in or near the Big Five recruiting hotbed states (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio).

I think that I remember hearing that Louisiana/Mississippi produces the highest amount of NFL talent, per capita, of any region in the country. Of course, the population may still be low enough there that the sheer number of kids coming out of California, Texas, etc. dwarfs the " high per capita" numbers of Louisiana & Mississippi.

Still, someone said that one of the reasons that Saban left Michigan State for LSU was because he realized that LSU was the only big-time game in town for the Louisiana/Mississippi talent--and that there was enough home-grown talent there to win a national championship (which he, of course, did).

All that said, having watched y'all talk about Georgia high school football on here, and having worked with a guy who was into Texas high school football . . . I acknowledge that it is a different world out there. Y'all treat high school football as it was meant to be treated . . . AS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD.

(And I'm not even kidding).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #24
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I think that I remember hearing that Louisiana/Mississippi produces the highest amount of NFL talent, per capita, of any region in the country. Of course, the population may still be low enough there that the sheer number of kids coming out of California, Texas, etc. dwarfs the " high per capita" numbers of Louisiana & Mississippi.
Yeah, I think I remember hearing that Louisiana is #1 per capita, but that the five states I mentioned put the most overall in D1 and the NFL. Last I checked the SEC and Big 10 were the 1-2 Conferences in terms of number of players in the NFL
Old 01-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Just to clarify, that is not his real hair.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #26
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

how did i miss terpkristen's meltdown when it happened back in may? that was classic.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #27
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Glad I can make you smile, Cam.
That must've been a rough day for me. Honestly, most of 2005 sucked big time for me (being unemployed and thoroughly depressed will do that to you, as I was for 8 full months), but I can't imagine what bee got in my butt that day.

Alas. We're STILL having QB issues at Maryland.
/tk
Old 01-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Glad I can make you smile, Cam.
That must've been a rough day for me. Honestly, most of 2005 sucked big time for me (being unemployed and thoroughly depressed will do that to you, as I was for 8 full months), but I can't imagine what bee got in my butt that day.

Alas. We're STILL having QB issues at Maryland.
/tk

Is it possible you had Render-itis that day?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
FYI. Y'all are really, really close to landing the kid who started the season as perhaps THE most underrated player in the state of Georgia, none other than Myke Compton of Tucker, who they've promised to let play RB. If this happens, two things:

2. Once he earns significant playing time, Maryland instantly becomes my second-favorite team to watch.

On another note, Dwayne's official visit to Central Michigan, scheduled for this weekend, is off.
The soap opera that is recruiting took another turn. Two other RB's that Maryland had above Myke apparently committed this week. The official this weekend (where he was planning on committing) is now cancelled, and the offer withdrawn.

This does not bode well for the already-tenuous relationship between Tucker and Maryland.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Myke Compton? Myke? What happened, they didn't want to drop the $250 for a vowel?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y. Never forget the sometimes Y...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y. Never forget the sometimes Y...

Y's are free though, man. I guess that's an extra $250 in the bank for the Comptons.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #33
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
The soap opera that is recruiting took another turn. Two other RB's that Maryland had above Myke apparently committed this week. The official this weekend (where he was planning on committing) is now cancelled, and the offer withdrawn.

This does not bode well for the already-tenuous relationship between Tucker and Maryland.

Did he have an opportunity to take them up on their offer and just waited too long?
how do you know?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #34
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

Does he still have an offer from UNC? I'm not sure the Maryland coaches are the best judges of talent. They pulled Steve Slaton's offer last year after he had committed to them.

Last edited by timmynausea : 01-12-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

We could always use more talented running backs at UTEP. Mike Price is a player's coach, everybody lives him! Send him our way, SD...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #36
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Did he have an opportunity to take them up on their offer and just waited too long?
I don't remember exactly when Maryland offered, but I'm pretty sure it was fairly recently, or I would have mentioned it in this thread before now.

For the person that asked, yes, the offer from UNC is still on the table, along with others.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #37
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't remember exactly when Maryland offered, but I'm pretty sure it was fairly recently, or I would have mentioned it in this thread before now.

For the person that asked, yes, the offer from UNC is still on the table, along with others.

UNC would be a great choice. I don't know much about their football program, but it's a fantastic school in a beautiful location and the girls are absolutely unreal.

knives out
Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #38
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
UNC would be a great choice. I don't know much about their football program, but it's a fantastic school in a beautiful location and the girls are absolutely unreal.

Plus he'll get to beat Maryland 4 years in a row.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Plus he'll get to beat Maryland 4 years in a row.

That's probably true. It seems like UNC is on the way up, and Maryland is on the way down.

knives out
Old 01-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #40
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I would recommend he walk-on at Maryland.
how do you know?

Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #41
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'll have to dig up that list of UNC QB's who turned out to be much of anything, let alone went on to the NFL. Another way of saying that UNC is notorious for getting highly touted QBs and squandering them (either that or the recruiting services were horribly off because they gave the recruit a bump because they were being recruited by UNC...works well in basketball, not so well in football....).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #42
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
That's probably true. It seems like UNC is on the way up, and Maryland is on the way down.

For the uninformed it may seem that way but after 2 down years, Maryland will be back next year and I think could challenge for the conference in 2007. And they beat UNC at Carolina this year and have pretty much owned them over the past several seasons.

They were the youngest and most inexperienced team in the ACC last year and most of their problems stemmed directly from the QB position (they've got Josh Portis transferring in from Florida to QB but he does have to sit out this year).

They've strung some very good recruiting classes together and there are several players who earned some valuable experience as underclassmen who will be much better for it in the coming years. Left tackle Jared gaither will be a Top 10 NFL draft pick, mark it down. They should be a team to watch. Next year's soft schedule should help too.

As for the RB situation, Lance Ball will be back next year as a junior and will be the #1 guy bar none. After that it's a question mark. Ray Lewis' brother Keon Lattimore returns but he's yet to show much. 2004's starter Josh Allen comes off a medical redshirt but who knows how he'll respond after a terrible knee injury.

Maryland did receive a surprise commit from Ronnie Tyler, who ironically had initially committed to Georgia. Not 100% sure of the story there but he doesn't necessarily seem like a blue-chipper. Additionally, one of last year's RB commits Morgan Green comes in after a year at prep school and they are still after Josh Adams, a 4-star RB from NC. I haven't heard much about Compton and Maryland so my guess is that he may have been a 2nd or 3rd option.

One last thought since someone else brought up Steve Slaton. He may have been a Terp if Brandyn Young didn't initially commit to Maryland. They are similar players in that they could either have played RB or DB in college. I think BY had his scholly spoken for so Maryland never really offered Slaton despite him wanting to come here. In any event, the Terps are pretty strong at tailback so I'm not losing any sleep there. The big need area is on both interior lines.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #43
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Only comment I'd like to add to what timmy said is that this past season (2005), we had a SLEW of pre-season injuries that ended up being season-ending, mostly from our experienced side of the squad.

Our QB situation is still rough. We'll likely be starting Steffy this season, but he had a "so-so" freshman year and then redshirted sophomore year....

I think the Terps are on the upswing, injury-depending.

/tk