Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Thumbs up Another Classy Move by Cuban

You can't help but like the guy.

Mavs owner founds Fallen Patriot Fund

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might be best remembered for ponying up more than $1 million in fines handed down by the NBA, but the billionaire's philanthropic record bears mention as well.

Cuban has created The Fallen Patriot Fund, an organization geared to help families of U.S. military personnel who were killed or wounded in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"We all spent time talking about our support for our troops, but no one really said anything about the immediate families of those who lost loved ones in Iraq," Cuban said. "I just felt I could and should do something more. This was purely a personal thing with my wife and myself."

Cuban, who said he does not personally know any of the soldiers wounded or killed in battle, pledged that he will match up to $1 million in total donations made online at www.fallenpatriotfund.org or donations earmarked for the fund at local branches of Bank of America.

Money will be distributed to the significant others and children of military personnel killed or injured in the war based on demonstrated need, Cuban said. Funds will be distributed within weeks of the first grant application.

Mavericks players Nick Van Exel and Steve Nash, who wore a "No War. Shoot for Peace" shirt during All-Star Weekend, have been criticized for their anti-war stances, but when the Mavericks played the San Antonio Spurs on March 20, Cuban wore a "United We Stand" T-shirt.

According to figures released by the U.S. Defense Department on Tuesday, 121 Americans have been killed in battle and 495 soldiers have been wounded in the month-long war.

Cuban matched the dollar figure of the fines he received last season with donations to cancer research and MPS, a rare enzyme disorder. He also donated $1 million to the World Trade Center relief effort following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The Fallen Patriot Fund is not affiliated with the Mavericks, but the team's Web site will feature a banner promoting the program.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
couriers

Excellent.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

Re: Another Classy Move by Cuban

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
You can't help but like the guy.

Yes I can. He's a dweeb.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

He may be a dweeb, but he's my kind of dweeb.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

I don't even like the Mavericks, but I think Cuban is the best thing to happen to the NBA in a long time.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

He's just a FILTY RICH "regular joe" or "regular mark" if you prefer. Good job.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Ksyrup

He's the kind of billionaire we all say we'd strive to be if a billion dollars fell in our lap.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
He's the kind of billionaire we all say we'd strive to be if a billion dollars fell in our lap.

Self-absorbed, irreverant, and horny?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
Ksyrup

But with a billion dollars, it comes off so much better!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Just think, he wanted to buy the Pens but they gave the team to Mario...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I don't even like the Mavericks, but I think Cuban is the best thing to happen to the NBA in a long time.

yep
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #12
bryce
High School Varsity

his latest move...

04/18/2003

By JAIME JORDAN / The Dallas Morning News

Before the Dallas Mavericks even begin chasing an NBA title, Jim Burns' playoff dream has come true.

The 50-year-old Dallas man, who is dying of throat cancer, will be at Saturday night's first-round opener against Portland at American Airlines Center – courtesy of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Mr. Burns said the invitation is one of the highlights of his life.

"I wouldn't put it above marriage or children, but it's up there," he said. "I'm certainly happy to take Mr. Cuban up on his offer. If they win that first game, I guess I'm a lucky charm, so I'll have to keep going."

The events that led to Mr. Burns' complimentary tickets started Monday night, when family friend Mary Ashmore attended the Mavericks game against Seattle.

Television cameras caught several glimpses of Ms. Ashmore, who was seated behind the Mavs bench. At halftime, friends started calling her cellphone to notify Ms. Ashmore of her short-lived stardom.

One of the callers was Mary Burns, Jim's wife of 22 years.

"I just teased her about getting to go to the Mavs game," Mrs. Burns said. "She's known Jim and I for years, but she didn't realize that [watching games] is what we do."

Excited after the Mavs' victory, Ms. Ashmore sent an e-mail at 11:07 p.m. to congratulate Mr. Cuban and the team. She also mentioned the phone call from the Burnses in her correspondence.

"While I was there I got a call ... two very special friends Mary and Jim Burns called me," she wrote to Mr. Cuban. "The reason I mention them is because Jim Burns is home dying of cancer. He loves the Mavs. Shortly after he turned 50 this year the doctor called and told him he had two to four months to live. I was deeply touched by his call to me. Seeing me made his night. I only wish I could do more."

By 11:52, Mr. Cuban had instructed his vice president of marketing and communications to get the Burnses tickets. By Tuesday, they had five seats – enough to include Mr. Burns' three children.

"Mark Cuban is just phenomenal," Ms. Ashmore said. "It's always a lot of stuff that goes back and forth about him – but what a heart. His sincere compassion always comes out. He always remembers where he came from. He's always giving back."

Mr. Cuban gives a simple reason for his kind act.

"It was just a nice thing to do, so we did it," Mr. Cuban said via e-mail Thursday.

Mr. Burns was told in January – two days after his birthday – that what he thought was a sore throat was really a recurrence of the throat cancer he had beaten nearly seven years ago. A few weeks later, doctors told Mr. Burns he had only a few months to live, Mrs. Burns said.

Saturday's Mavericks game will be the couple's first since the early days of Reunion Arena, Mrs. Burns said. Chronic health conditions have slowed both Mr. and Mrs. Burns in recent years. Mrs. Burns has a form of muscular dystrophy and has suffered bouts of paralysis. That has led to time being bedridden or in a wheelchair.

So the Mavs tickets were a welcome reprieve.

"At first I didn't know if I believed it," Mr. Burns said. "I thought my wife was trying to trick me. Sometimes my wife does stuff like that."

Mr. Burns said he has been a Mavs fan since the birth of the organization – and he has passed that passion on to his wife and children.

"That's just what we do," Mrs. Burns said. "Having a sport or passion is healthy for the family or the kids. I've learned to appreciate it."

And now, she said, her husband – who, starting at age 15, helped raise his 11 siblings after their father died – is getting back some of what he's given out during his life.

"His brothers are used to Jim being everything to everybody," she said. "They're so used to him taking care of them. ...

"My husband is in a surreal world right now because people are doing all these nice things for him, and he's thinking, 'I don't deserve all this.' "

E-mail [email protected]
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I just called the fund and we're trying to get Cuban on the show Monday morning.

I've interviewed him before and while I think his ego is rather large... he does more than his fair share of good things for others.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:51 AM   #14
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Dola:

Cuban's going to come on the show Monday morning... 8:35 a.m CST.

Yet another reason for you to start a petition demanding my show be webcast.