Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 AM   #51
MacroGuru
Coordinator

We lost 36 - 14 write up tomorrow.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #52
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Sorry about the delay....I slept most of the day Sunday except for the 15 minutes I was playing in the FOFC poker tourney.....

Anyways, I am going to post the official write up of our game from the site, it clearly details the game.

Troy Dougherty passed for 322 yards and 4 touchdowns, including 154 yards to tight end and new league leader in reception yards, Nate Brown to lead the Madison Lionz to a 36-14 road victory over the Utah Wolverines and remain only one of two remaining unbeaten teams in the RMFL.>>
The Wolverines, who have struggled offensively in 2005, struck first, however, capping a solid early first quarter drive with a 24-yard pass from Joey Collins to James Neslen to give the Wolverines the early 7-0 lead.>>

The Lionz, however, answered with a drive of their own, finished off with the first of two Troy Dougherty to John Clark touchdown passes. The Lionz would continue to move the football through the second quarter, scoring 3 times to take a comfortable 26-7 halftime lead.>>

Much of both teams’ offenses took place under significant pressure on both quarterbacks. Although passing for more than 300 yards, Dougherty was sacked 8 times in the game. The Lionz defense, however, returned the favor, getting to Wolverine quarterbacks 8 times as well for 51 yards in losses. The Lionz defense also forced two key fumbles that were critical as the Wolverines were driving.>>

Neither teams rushing game was very effective, although the Wolverines did pick up 79 yards on quarterback, Joey Collins scrambles. Outside of Collins, no running back in the game rushed for more than lace style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Madisonlace>’s Kenny Clark’s 23 yards. The Wolverines, however, saw some real offensive hope as James Neslen, who continues to draw attention as a new RMFL star, caught 8 passes for 96 yards on the game. Quarterback, Joey Collins passed for 193 against no interceptions and 2 touchdowns to go with his 79 rushing yards to account for all of the Wolverines offense.>>

Defensively, Madison’s Dustin Simmons had a monster game, recording 9 tackles including 5 of lace style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Madisonlace>’s sacks from the linebacker position. The lace style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Madisonlace> defense also forced 7 Wolverine punts on the game. Irvan Hill, Josh Huntsman, Pat Davis and Adam Hornung also had big games for the lace style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Madisonlace> defense.>>

The aggressive Wolverine defense brought big pressure on every down, giving up some big completions, but stifling the Lionz rushing game and getting to Madison MVP candidate and league passing leader Dougherty plenty. Matt Shoda recorded 8-1/2 tackles, Roger Shulze recorded 5 tackles, including 1-1/2 sacks and Andrew Butler recorded 5 tackles, including 3 of the sacks on Dougherty to help pace a tough Wolverine defensive effort that just didn’t have an answer for the lace style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" tabIndex=0 w:st="on">Madisonlace> passing game .
Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #53
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Brief update.....

Minor position change on my end.

Dave, a buddy of mine broke his arm in our game against the Blitz. He went into surgery yesterday to pin his arm...

That leaves us short on a coverage SS. Jeremy, another SS that has had concussion problems this year and is quicker than I am is moving back to FS, I am moving up to SS.

In the game against Madison I played SS for about 12 to 15 plays, and It was more natural to me, and I am able to hit the flats faster than our other remaining SS.

So I am now the starting SS, Weak Side.

Our game on Saturday is at 3 pm MST...so I hope to do a write up that night...
Old 05-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #54
MacroGuru
Coordinator

T minus 3 hours till gametime....For some reason, I am really antsy and excited for this game more than any other. I don't know if it's the move up to SS and I get to hit and blitz more, or if it's the fact we have to win out to make the playoffs and everygame is being played like it's the last game....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #55
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Game write up from the site....I was crazy dead after the game...playing Defense, Kickoff, Kickoff Return, and Punt Team in 90 degree weather sucks....

OREM – Behind by 4 points, 21-17 with just over a minute remaining in the game, Wolverine quarterback, Joey Collins found Kyle Ashby open in a seam and Ashby out-raced all nearby Nemesis defenders for an electrifying 50-yard touchdown pass play to seal an amazing 24-21 comeback victory for the Utah Wolverines over the Salt Lake Nemesis Saturday afternoon in Orem, Utah.

Although the Nemesis almost doubled up the struggling Wolverine offense in total yards (283-149), the Wolverines made the big plays that counted and their defense successfully did not “break” on a couple of goal line stands as the Wolverines got the victory in the game. The Wolverine quarterbacks were a dreadful 3 of 21 for 74 yards. Of course, 1 of those completions and 50 of those yards came on their final offensive play to win the game. Tigger Edwards did rush for 60 yards and the games opening touchdown with 11:42 still remaining in the first quarter. Another quiet hero for the Wolverines, was place-kicker, Scott Thomsen. Thomsen converted all 3 extra points and hit a big 48-yard field goal in the third quarter that turned out to be the difference in the game.

The Nemesis got a huge game from 2004 MVP candidate, Marvell Smith who rushed for 106 yards on 22 carries. All-purpose athlete, Nate Cone covered the quarterback responsibilities for the Nemesis and had a reasonably good day, passing for 180 yards, including a 75-yard strike to Jerry Mecham that tied the score at 7-7 late in the first quarter. Cone also scored a short touchdown run midway through the third quarter to give the Nemesis a short-lived 14-10 lead.

Then the defenses took over.

Matt Shoda intercepted a Nate Cone pass and returned it 46-yards for a score shortly after Cone’s touchdown to put the Wolverines ahead by a 17-14 score. And true to form in the roller-coaster game, when the Wolverines’ Joey Collins missed the center/quarterback exchange on their own 1-yard line, Jeremiah Jensen of the Nemesis recovered it in the end zone for a 21-17 Nemesis lead before Collins and Ashby hooked up for the game-winner.

The Wolverines’ Matt Shoda had the biggest defensive performance of the game, recording 6-1/2 tackles, 2 sacks and the interception and touchdown that made the difference in the game. Jeremy Smith lead the team with 9 tackles and Andrew Butler and Josh Smith both recorded 7 tackles and a sack a piece as the Wolverines added 6 sacks to the 4 turnovers they got from the Nemesis (3 interceptions, 1 fumble).

Dan Cruser lead the Nemesis defense with 9-1/2 tackles and a sack in holding the Wolverines to the 149 net yards of offense. It was only 99 net yards of offense until the last fateful play, which may have cost the Nemesis a play-off birth.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 05-23-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #56
MacroGuru
Coordinator

We had a game tonight..It was about time our team came together...our offense only had 2 penalties, we had 3 TD's on defense.

The 1st half was scary, as the other team kept getting us with the option dives up the A gap. I hit their FB more times than I should have, I don't know if I dislocated my shoulder or broke something, it hurts to breathe.

BTW, we won 65 - 0
Old 05-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #57
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So brief up update.

I have a slight seperation on the shoulder I keep aggravating when I hit people....but I also have a bruised sternum. The docs thought I might possibly have a collapsed lung, and they were rushing to check it out.

Luckily, it wasn't.

Damn I love football!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #58
MacroGuru
Coordinator

We lost to the #1 team in the FAR WEST REGION (AAA) they have a 65 - 0 undefeated streak in league play right now (4 years straight)

We had the game though, going into the 3rd qtr, we were down 28 - 20, and they only made plays not sustained drives, it was as every other team has done, picked on our CB's, I was attacked only once, and it stopped.

As far as tackles I was in on about 4 or 5 of them. I was in the position to make 2 pics but went for the hits instead, as I got yelled at last week for going for the pic.

Anyways, the final score was 42 - 20, as they rampaged on us in the 4th qtr, and we committed some stupid mental breakdowns.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-05-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #59
MacroGuru
Coordinator

One other thing to note.

I am more than likely hanging it up after the season....at the age of 30, and the injuries I sustained through HS and Post HS have taken a toll on my body.

The only way I will play next season is if I am down to 185 (which is a 20 pound drop from where I am at right now) and I have my 40 time down to a 4.6 which is close to a .2 reduction there.

I would shift to CB, where it is my natural position if I did this, but we will see.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #60
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

In case you stop playing, will you stay on the sideline at least?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #61
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
In case you stop playing, will you stay on the sideline at least?

If I stop playing I will try and get back on with coaching at the high school level if at all possible, which will spawn an entirely new dynasty.

If I can't do that, then I will stay on the sidelines in the Semi-Pro world....I may even think of launching my own team....
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #62
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Brief update...

We have secured the playoffs with a 5-3 record, at the 7th seed....(We are having 12 teams go this year which I hate)....

However, we are the team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs as we are growing stronger every week.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #63
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Playoffs Round 1

We play the Nemesis, which will be our second meeting this season, as you might recall we took the game 21-20 scoring on a 50 yard TD pass with a minute left in the game...

Right now, we are being written off, and people don't think we can win....

I am slightly dinged up, but I have taken 2 weeks off of practice, so I should be fine....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #64
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Season is now officially over, we lost to the Nemisis on a last minute long bomb that gave them the ball at our 1, and they punched it in after that....

Anyways, I was pulled from starting because of my detractor's on the team...I haven't done anything wrong, and never gave up anything deep in the middle, if anything, I saved several TD's for cleaning up the LB's mistakes...So...one of my biggest detractor's is the one that gave up the TD. It was my little bit of self worth me waking away smiling, even though we lost.

I am more than likely done with the Wolverines, and I am going to be moving onto a new team next season IF I get down to 185...it's also looking like 2 off season surgeries as well, my right shoulder and my right knee...we will see for sure though....

Thanks for reading......
Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #65
MacroGuru
Coordinator

A big bump just to let you all know....I am still playing and with our league shakeups (Which I will detail in a new dynasty thread) I am more than likely sticking with the Wolverines.

Now my issue is this...I am back up to 215, due to not being able to work out, and a stressful job...however, with the season lurking around the corner I will be hitting the gym, and trying to get down to 190 - 200.

I am going to move over to offense unless I am needed on defense. I can play the inside receiver, or running back, as I have played both before.

I will start the new thread in about 30 days.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 AM   #66
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Glad to hear it Denis!
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #67
Emiliano
College Prospect

I've just finished to read this, and it's great! Go Dennis!!! I'm following.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #68
Icy
Pro Starter

Just read this too, missed it last year. I have enjoyed it a lot, to know more about football from a real player, no matter if it's semi-pro football. I really envy you, i haven't ever wear a football pad and helmet, i would die to wear it and play a few minutes... but not possible in Spain, this is the soccer country (i have played semi-pro indoor soccer as goalkeeper and also played hoops when i was younger).
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #69
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Thank you, it has been fun, and definately something that helps me handle stress and prove that I could have hacked it somewhere else out of high school and my 2nd knee injury going into Junior College.

Keep your eyes out for the new thread.