Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Music City Bowl

___________________________________________ (That's what I thought.)

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Turned into a shootout so faar.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Don't know if I understand that pass..

Oh well, mediocre BCS Conference Team A beats mediocre BCS Conference Team B in a tight one. Now on to the next similar game between Mizzou and South Carolina.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Don't know if I understand that pass..

I don't either, but hopefully it's the last stupid decision of the Glen Mason era.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I don't either, but hopefully it's the last stupid decision of the Glen Mason era.

What is the ceiling for Minnesota football in your opinion? I'm amazed Minnesota fans and the university aren't begging Mason to stay until he wants to retire.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName
What is the ceiling for Minnesota football in your opinion? I'm amazed Minnesota fans and the university aren't begging Mason to stay until he wants to retire.

I have this question as well. I think Michigan State fans would kill for the recent record the Mason has put up. I understand that they often have a cupcake non-conference schedule, but still...
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
What is the ceiling for Minnesota football in your opinion?

An occasional Big Ten contender, which is what fans and some media have considered this team the past few years. It's pretty obvious that none of the Mason teams have been Big Ten contenders. I look at Wisconsin's program and don't see any reason as to why Minnesota can't duplicate their success in the 90's. Also, look what Northwestern did somewhat recently.

The key right now is to get that new on-campus stadium built. Some folks might not realize it, but that's a huge tool for recruiting. Would you rather play at a packed stadium in Madison or do you want to play at the Metrodome on a Saturday night?

Quote:
I'm amazed Minnesota fans and the university aren't begging Mason to stay until he wants to retire.

Don't let everyone fool you. Mason really doesn't want to be the Gopher coach anymore. He's playing it cold and the only thing the two sides have to agree to now is how much he's going to be "bought out" for.

Who they can replace him with, I have no clue. Hopefully they take plenty of time, because it's going to be a very important decision for the program and it's future (or lack thereof)

Last edited by sovereignstar : 12-30-2005 at 03:34 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
HerRealName
College Prospect

It seems to me like Wisconsin has a better recruiting base (Chicago area), better fan support, and a much better stadium situation. Given the realities of Minnesota's situation, I think Mason has done an incredible job.

I also question whether Mason really wants to stay or not but I can't blame him when the university tries to replace his current guarranteed salary with incentives - including one based on attendance. How is he supposed to control attendance?

My only guess is that university officials think they can make more money reducing expenses at the cost of winning the extra 3-4 games a year Mason has given them. There's no way in my opinion that parting ways with Mason will improve that program.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Momma never told me to strive for B grades...
Old 12-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Momma never told me to strive for B grades...

Mine did. She knew my limitations
Old 12-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Seriously though, you did hear that he wants to be making Top 3/4 money in the Big Ten, right? How does he deserve that?

I'm thankful for the job Mason has done up to this point. I just think it's time to move on and take a chance.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

This is a tough call.. Do you folks remember Gopher F'ball back in the Jim Wacker days, and even prior to that, when 5 win seasons were a cause for a State Holiday.

Glen Mason has put together a consistent winning program and bowl game participant in the Twin Cities and deserves quite a bit of respect for that. Is he asking too much, maybe, but considering what Gopher Football was prior to his arrival, I believe that it's his right to do so.

If I'm a Gopher Fan/Follower, I'm not sure I want to take my chances on a new coaching staff at this point. Even Wisconsin, for all of their success in the Alvarez era, has slipped a bit recently.

Expectations are a strange thing.... The grass is not always greener folks.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of Glen Mason (4 Year Extension)..

From the article:

"Mason came to the school in 1997 and Minnesota's 32 wins over the last four years are the best four-year performance by a Gophers team since 1902-05."

Sounds like he's done a 'okay' job.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
Speaking of Glen Mason (4 Year Extension)..

From the article:

"Mason came to the school in 1997 and Minnesota's 32 wins over the last four years are the best four-year performance by a Gophers team since 1902-05."

Sounds like he's done a 'okay' job.

32 wins over the last four years are the best four-year performance by a Gophers team since 1902-05

That's quite a stretch in calling it the best four-year performance by simply adding up wins. There was only 29 wins from 1934-1937, which isn't as good as 32 wins. Even though from '34-'37 they were 29-3 and 19-1 in conference play, finishing first in the conference in three years.

Take away the wins over the Illinois States, Louisiana-Lafayettes, and Florida Atlantics and you have a coach who's teams have been 15-17 in conference play and have finished 7th, T-4th, 8th, and 7th (yet for some reason believes he deserves to be paid higher than one of the top 7 or 8 coaches in the conference).

The extension with Mason is overpaying for a commitment to mediocrity. Despite having perhaps the best rushing team in the country over the last 4 years he has managed to do nothing with it. Sure he's done a decent job getting the team here, but Mason has showed no ability to take the next step. His teams have been plagued by the same problems year after year such as following up big games with disappointing performances.

Yes the Gophers were worse off before Mason got here, but past failures are no excuse for accepting being mediocre.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote