Home

MY DEFENSIVE TIPS FOR YOU ROOKIES!!!!

This is a discussion on MY DEFENSIVE TIPS FOR YOU ROOKIES!!!! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
MY DEFENSIVE TIPS FOR YOU ROOKIES!!!!

Playing defense in 2k can be tricky but once you learn how to play D your experience playing the game will be much more enjoyable. I will first start out by saying, DO NOT CHANGE THE SLIDERS!!!! Play the game using the default sliders, trust me...

Guarding Your Opponent

First off, you have multiple options available. You can play the ball handler straight up, or shade to the left or the right. You can play tight or loose coverage. These decisions are based on who your opponent has on the court.

1) Guard the opponent forcing him to his less dominant hand.
You do this by using the left stick and move your defender to the left or the right of the ball handler. Doing this will also put you in position to contest the shot more accurately. You can just stand there sometimes and as long as your close to the shooter it will decrease the chances of him making the shot.

Note: Be careful when shading bcuz certain players have tons of moves at there disposal (ex: Chris Paul) he is strong with both hands. He put some moves on you to get back to that dominant hand. I recommend giving him the jump shot but be sure to play over to his shooting hand...

2) Getting physical when players drive to the hole.
One thing 2k added this year is the ability to put your body on the ball handler. When the player drives to the hole, stay with him by riding him to the basket (pushing the left stick into the player) if you shade to the off hand it is much easier bcuz his driving ability will not be as strong. When the player is going into his shooting motion continue to push the left stick into the player. You will force the player into a more difficult shot.

3) NO TURBO!!!
A habit a lot of us have is using the turbo needlessly. What happens when trying to stay with a player using turbo. The player will stop and over run the player giving him an open lane and or look to the basket. Use the turbo sparingly, tapping it just to stay with a player if you get beat.

4) Know who your guarding
Guarding Lebron is easier than guarding Kobe. Lebron you can play off of him. You won't completely stop him but you can contain him. Kobe is a different story. He is quick and has moves to get to his dominant hand. Be smart, be patient and contest his shooting hand. When he drives try to force him into the help and keep your body on him while he is driving. The same goes for Lebron.

5) Crowding (L2 for PS3 / X for 360 users)
Don't get to crazy with this. Only crowd players you know can't blow by you with their quickness. Be smart. Crowding Rajon Rondo or D Rose would be idiotic, give them the jumpy all day. Ray Allen, Dirk, that is a different story. Stay on them tight.

Practice makes perfect. Practice these tips and you will see the shooting percentages fall drastically. Remember to contest the shooting hand.

Guarding the post and the pick and roll coming soon.

Last edited by sandman0823; 10-20-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Corrections
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: MY DEFENSIVE TIPS FOR YOU ROOKIES!!!!

Nice Sandman
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

Nice post. Definitely will use some of these tips as I've been having some trouble playing D myself.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Crowding the shooter is L trigger for Xbox 360. X is steal. Other than that, great guide!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbreakerjrey
Crowding the shooter is L trigger for Xbox 360. X is steal. Other than that, great guide!
it's LB, not LT.

as for "pusing the left stick to the defender"... is that while holding LT?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Pro

lkasprzak's Arena

OVR: 10

Crowding? U mean DT with LB?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Rookie

madmax17's Arena

OVR: 6

You forgot to mention that you need to hold the LT button for most of these moves.

I don't know what crowding is, maybe you mean double team.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52

can someone explain this crowding thing more?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »