Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #2501
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist - 8/10: Yeah, it's kinda a romcom. So what? Its also got some very amusing dialogue (Juno-esque, but toned down for those who thought "teenagers would never talk like that), some funny situations, a very cool soundtrack (with a title like that you expect decent music), and a fun overall movie. It was amusing and the leads were both great.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #2502
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - 8.5/10
I think I'll just echo exactly what ISiddiqui said! Nothing really wrong with the movie.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #2503
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - 7.5/10

I liked it. A nice movie, good tunes and I liked the leads. But not as laugh out loud funny as I would have liked, and some parts just came off flat. But overall, I enjoyed the story and got my money's worth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #2504
rowech
Pro Starter

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - 7/10 -- Good little movie. Nothing unbelievably good, nothing unbelievably bad but you'll most likely just enjoy the time.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #2505
Lorena
Unregistered

Transformers - 4/10

Gosh so many things wrong with this movie, I don't even know where to begin. It was an hour too long, horrible lines, romantic moments that shouldn't have anything to do with a robot movie, and jeez.. just horrible lines. The only thing that made this movie remotely watchable were Bernie Mac (the 10 minutes or however long it was) and John Turturro. Shia LeBouf and Anthony Anderson did the best they could with a crappy script.

EDIT - We saw this in Blue-Ray and the visual/special effects were pretty amazing, I'll give this movie that. Great effects, just wished there were more actions scenes, less corny lines.

Last edited by Lorena : 10-06-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #2506
Pyser
Pro Rookie

foot fist way - 2/10

just stay away. boring, unfunny, save a few one liners.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #2507
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant so not much else to do but watch movies lately

Iron Man - 9/10

Fantastic comic book adaption, with incredible special effects and well-above average acting considering the genre. Downey Jr. is perfectly cast and chews scenery like mad...very charismatic actor and a great choice for this role. Terrence Howard was very good as the straight man, Jeff Bridges was solid and even Gwenyth Paltrow did well with an underwritten role. Thought some of the battle scenes near the end were cliched and I didn't buy how quickly the villain was able to control his 'armour' but those quibbles aside, I thought it was tremendous.

Leatherheads - 6/10

I really like most George Clooney movies but this flick was a bit dull. Dialogue was good, for the most part, and was especially sharp between Renee Zellweger and Clooney in a "His Girl Friday" sort of way. Still not enough to redeem this relatively boring film.

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10

Just saw this movie this weekend and I was pretty blown away. Ben Affleck wrote and directed this piece about a child abduction and I was stunned by its complexity, great direction and nuanced performances. Casey Affleck was very solid, and Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris were stellar, as usual. However, it is the story and direction that really surprised me here so kudos to Ben Affleck.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #2508
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant so not much else to do but watch movies lately

Iron Man - 9/10

Fantastic comic book adaption, with incredible special effects and well-above average acting considering the genre. Downey Jr. is perfectly cast and chews scenery like mad...very charismatic actor and a great choice for this role. Terrence Howard was very good as the straight man, Jeff Bridges was solid and even Gwenyth Paltrow did well with an underwritten role. Thought some of the battle scenes near the end were cliched and I didn't buy how quickly the villain was able to control his 'armour' but those quibbles aside, I thought it was tremendous.

Leatherheads - 6/10

I really like most George Clooney movies but this flick was a bit dull. Dialogue was good, for the most part, and was especially sharp between Renee Zellweger and Clooney in a "His Girl Friday" sort of way. Still not enough to redeem this relatively boring film.

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10

Just saw this movie this weekend and I was pretty blown away. Ben Affleck wrote and directed this piece about a child abduction and I was stunned by its complexity, great direction and nuanced performances. Casey Affleck was very solid, and Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris were stellar, as usual. However, it is the story and direction that really surprised me here so kudos to Ben Affleck.

Affleck may have done the screenplay but it's a book by Dennis Lehane if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #2509
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Gone Baby Gone 6/10

I thought this movie was very well directed by Ben Affleck. The story was very interesting and the characters were deep and well developed. However, I thought the last twenty minutes were a bunch of horseshit.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #2510
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Gone Baby Gone 6/10

I thought this movie was very well directed by Ben Affleck. The story was very interesting and the characters were deep and well developed. However, I thought the last twenty minutes were a bunch of horseshit.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

I agree with you 1000% and that is the reason I deducted a point from my rating. I almost wrote the exact same thing as you did regarding this issue but I held off.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #2511
rowech
Pro Starter

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (7/10) -- Okay movie but not nearly what everyone made it out to be. Mila Kunnis (sp?) is drop dead gorgeous however.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #2512
MikeVic
Head Coach

Eagle Eye - 7/10
I was really interested in who was behind it, and what these main characters were being led to. Once half of that was revealed, I was less excited. And then the ending just seemed to drag. And the very last scene was a whatever way to end the movie. Still entertaining overall, but it's more of a movie that starts off strong and drags.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #2513
molson
General Manager

The Express 8/10

As a 'Cuse alum, I can't really evaluate this fairly, but it's your standard, very well-done sports movie.

Formulaic, but so is the true story behind the film. Cliches abound, but not too many - I found Jim Brown, Davis, and especially Coach Schwartzwalder to be portrayed with shades of gray, not any kind of pure hero worship.

I'd skip it if you're a hardcore West Virginia fan though - the portrayal of Mountaineer fans is way over the top (and from what I read, completely fictional).

Last edited by molson : 10-15-2008 at 07:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #2514
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Eagle Eye - 6/10

The first part of the movie up until the plot twist was really, really good. And then it just managed to implode on itself and crap its way through a cliched ending.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #2515
Sgran
High School Varsity

Half Nelson - 7/10

Gritty is the best way I can describe this film. A crack-head crusading white guy teaches history in a black school in New York. It rings true, and the performances are solid, but nothing much really happens.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #2516
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Express 8/10

As a 'Cuse alum, I can't really evaluate this fairly, but it's your standard, very well-done sports movie.

Formulaic, but so is the true story behind the film. Cliches abound, but not too many - I found Jim Brown, Davis, and especially Coach Schwartzwalder to be portrayed with shades of gray, not any kind of pure hero worship.

I'd skip it if you're a hardcore West Virginia fan though - the portrayal of Mountaineer fans is way over the top (and from what I read, completely fictional).

Yeah, I've been following this, as a Syracuse native. Like the following article says, this movie is very well done but expect fictional artistic liberties.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ed_the_re.html
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #2517
MikeVic
Head Coach

Max Payne - 5/10
Not very good. Basic story is that Payne is looking for the third murderer of his wife and child. He's a cop, but has been relegated to cold case files because people think he's messed up. There were some OK moments, but I really would've liked to see more shoot-ups. They also touch on something that I thought would be kinda cool, and then leave it alone.

Last edited by MikeVic : 10-19-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #2518
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Catching up the thread on three movies I saw in theaters in the past two weeks...

Appaloosa (6.5/10) I am a fan of a good Western, particular the "troubled hero" ones, where the protagonists aren't saints with six-shooters. So for me to give this a mediocre rating says a lot. It violated the cardinal rule of Westerns--it got boring. It was strong in the early going, as Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson gunned after the local evil rancher Jeremy Irons. Loved Irons character and Mortenson. Harris, don't know what was up, his character was just not Harris like, and I didn't like the result. This guy should be perfect for the tough cowboy role, and he spent half the movie getting philosophical and getting romantic with Renee Zellwegger. Ugh. Just didn't work. The second half the movie was the real killer. That's when things got real boring, and Zellwegger's propensity to kill any film she's in with her awful voice and pouty puddy face came out in full force. Fortunately, the movie was semi-saved by Mortenson, who really is terrific in this. I recommend watching the first hour, then fast forwarding to the last 10 minutes.

Body of Lies (7.5/10) A spy thriller based out of the Middle East, this one was right up my alley, too. It was a bit better than Appaloosa. As usual, DiCaprio played his role very well. I always have to have a little disconnnect with him, because he's always a little too small and pretty and young looking in my mind to play a man type character. He looks like he should be repeatedly cast in 21 Jump Street re-runs. But he's a damn good actor. Crowe is, too, but I never got the feeling he was that into this role, which is a shame. In his defense, I don't think the script gave him as much to work with as DiCaprio, and a lot of his impact moves were made offscreen. The head of the Jordanian intelligence was terrific, and I liked the love interest, too. The story's a little twisty and it's easy to lose the thread, although I think it works out pretty clear in the end. Not as good as Traitor, which came out last month.

Sexdrive (8.5/10) Not gonna lie to you and tell you this movie does anything more than you expect it to, as a raunchy teen comedy. It just does it really well. Some pretty damn funny parts, definitely not all in the ads. Hot girls all around, so if you're a guy, that's a bonus. The typical teen storyline, but even knowing how it would go, was good fun. And Seth Green and James Marsden were hilarious. Fall Out Boy, if you're a fan of the band, also makes a cameo, and watch the credits for a pretty funny scene at the end with them and Seth Green. It's not on the level of Superbad, but it's just maybe one, one and a half steps behind.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #2519
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Tropic Thunder - 8/10

I loved the movie. It had that Three Amigos vibe to it. I loved the silliness of the entire film. Tom Cruise and Downey Jr. were great scene-stealers.

Pineapple Express - 8/10

Ok, I laughed my ass off for this flick. It's like a buddy-cop movie... only with a random dude and his weed dealer. Hah.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #2520
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Strangers - 8/10

Loved it... very freaky.. wife went up to the mini-mart after we watched it tonight and took our biggest dog... HAHA!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #2521
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Turk 182- 9/10- It doesn't get any better for a cheesy 80's flick.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #2522
MikeVic
Head Coach

Saw V - N/A
I haven't seen I-IV... so I don't feel I can give an honest review. This movie as a standalone sucked. It was more like a mystery movie with two gore scenes. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, but even I thought this was tame.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #2523
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Batalia En El Cielo - 8/10

This movie showed me two things. One, my Spanish comprehension has gone down the drain, and two, there are some awesome movies coming from unheralded directors. If you can get past the movie being in Spanish, and the non-American use of nudity, this is a great piece of film-making.

1 month after having this at home, we finally saw it.

Some parts seemed to drag a bit and some stuff wasn't explained.. it seemed more like a day in the life of the chauffeur/security guy. But having said that, it was one of the most unique movies I've ever seen. The nudity/sex scenes weren't at all what I was expecting or have seen. The acting was actually pretty good considering this movie was a first for all actors (the director doesn't work with "seasoned" actors).

Oh and yes, that first scene was...... I dunno, just not what I was expecting. Ant and I looked at each other like.... uhhh... whoa.

It's kind of hard to rate this movie because story-wise, there wasn't much there, but as an artistic piece, I thought it was great.

Last edited by Lorena : 10-25-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #2524
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Eagle Eye: 5/10

It redeemed itself with some solid action moments, but had one of the biggest plot holes I've ever seen in a movie....

Spoiler

Max Payne: 3/10

One of the most disappointing movies I've seen. I was so pumped up for this...was a HUGE fan of the game. It sucked...hard.

Body of Lies: 6/10

It must seem like I hate movies...I don't. This one wasn't great either. The acting was solid as expected, but I was never really engaged in the action or the story. I think it was the directing/editing that kind of threw me off. Not Max Payne bad, but a waste of money to see in theaters.

Still Want to See:

Miracle at St. Anna
Blindness
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #2525
Sgran
High School Varsity

High School Musical 3 -- 1/10

Took my daughters (8 and 5) to see HSM3. They loved it so I fought the urge to groan loadly as best I could. What a shit fest. There is no plot to this movie, or, at best the plot rehashes themes from the first 2 movies (basketball or theater, brains or theater, romance or passion). I should add that I liked the first movie and the second was tolerable. So, in short, make the wife (or grandma, or whoever you can throw under the bus) take the kids this time.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #2526
MikeVic
Head Coach

Get Smart - 8/10
A funny, entertaining movie. Not sure what else can be said about it. I'm a big Rock fan, the movie had some nice, decent action as well. And Anne Hathaway is hot. Not sure I'd watch it multiple times, or how it would hold up, but it's good for a one-time viewing.

Last edited by MikeVic : 10-27-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #2527
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

The Happening - 4/10 : Um... ooooookay. If the surprise of the movie was that you could get Mark Wahlberg to act with an effeminate voice, mission accomplished. What a Tweeest!!!!

War - 6.5/10 Typical Statham/Li movie... what I'd expect.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan - 8/10 What you would expect from an Adam Sandler movie. If you like him (which I do), you should like this one as it has Adam Sandler stupid written all over it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #2528
Pyser
Pro Rookie

baby mama - 4/10

not very funny, very little made sense. awesome, awesome cast though...mostly wasted.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #2529
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Broadway Melody 4/10

I understand it is one ofthe first musicals ever, but it was very , very dated.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #2530
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So can anyone tell us what "non-American use of nudity" means? I want to incorporate it into my Halloween costume.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #2531
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So can anyone tell us what "non-American use of nudity" means? I want to incorporate it into my Halloween costume.

Well see, it depends. If you're gonna dress up as the guy, you'll have to grow a beard. If you're gonna dress up as the hot girl with the sexy voice, you'll have to grow dreads and get a lip ring.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #2532
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just play it safe Pumpy and grow a beard with dreads and a lip ring.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #2533
Lorena
Unregistered

yes, perfect
Old 10-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #2534
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Well see, it depends. If you're gonna dress up as the guy, you'll have to grow a beard. If you're gonna dress up as the hot girl with the sexy voice, you'll have to grow dreads and get a lip ring.
Well, since we were talking about nudity, do I need to ask which lip we're talking about?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #2535
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Well, since we were talking about nudity, do I need to ask which lip we're talking about?

Just play it safe again and get all five pierced.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #2536
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Knowing Mel, and his psychotically Catholic leanings, how could that ending signify anything other than "saving" the poor natives after the rest of the movie butchered who they were and set them up and indistinguishably stupid savages who would have just killed each other off if not for the blessed hope on the boat?

Apocalypto 8/10 - I just did a search just to see what others thought and I saw HiFi's rant a year ago. Wow, just wow. I don't know how he took the Spanish at the end to be 'heroes' coming to save the Mayans. I mean.. WTF? Talk about searching for something that isn't there.

On a side note, if you can ever go to actual Mayan ruins, they are awesome.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 10-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #2537
MikeVic
Head Coach

RocknRolla - 8/10
Some funny stuff, some cool stuff, the rocker was awesome. But I'd rank it below Snatch and Lock, Stock. It felt like Ritchie kind of re-used some stuff from those movies. I don't mind if he makes more movies like this and re-uses stuff... I'll be entertained, but I won't be giving the movies 9 or 10.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #2538
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pride and Glory- 8.5/10. Great cop movie with Ed Norton and Colin Farrel. Both are really strong in it. It takes a little while for the story to come together, but once it goes it grabs you. It is very violent and graphic in parts. I can see how some people can think it is a little slow, but it went by quick for me, and Ed Norton is the man as always.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #2539
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Pride and Glory- 8.5/10. Great cop movie with Ed Norton and Colin Farrel. Both are really strong in it. It takes a little while for the story to come together, but once it goes it grabs you. It is very violent and graphic in parts. I can see how some people can think it is a little slow, but it went by quick for me, and Ed Norton is the man as always.

I have stayed away from this because the reviews are bad, but I am a big Ed Norton fan. Is it worth seeing just for him alone? If so, I'll probably check it out--cop movies fit into my general film type.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #2540
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 3/10. No no no no no no no.. What in the hell was that? If there were no other films and this was the first, maybe 5/10, but it just seems like they went over the top and almost seemed to spoof the other movies.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #2541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have stayed away from this because the reviews are bad, but I am a big Ed Norton fan. Is it worth seeing just for him alone? If so, I'll probably check it out--cop movies fit into my general film type.

I say yes, but I could watch Ed Norton take a dump and be entertained.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #2542
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Oh shit, and I just changed my sig!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #2543
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #2544
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think we need to bring back QOTM
Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #2545
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I say yes, but I could watch Ed Norton take a dump and be entertained.

The man can do no wrong.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2546
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
The man can do no wrong.

I beg to differ, two words: Courtney Love.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #2547
Johnny93g
College Starter

Pride and Glory- 3/10

Really really bad. I figured it would suck, it's release kept getting delayed. The 45 minute ending could have been done in 15 minutes and saved me a half hour of my life. My buddy said it best. It would be a great TV movie.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #2548
MikeVic
Head Coach

Futurama: Bender's Game - 7.5/10
There were funny moments, but it almost felt like it took too long to get to the "Bender's Game" portion. I thought the whole movie would be about that. I'd say this is probably my least favourite of the three movies so far. The "Bender's Game" portion was good, but I wanted more.

Charlie Bartlett - 8.5/10
This was recommended to me after seeing Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and I'm glad it was. The movie had some pretty cool and funny stuff in it. The subject of popularity is handled well, and Bartlett is a likable character. Had no idea Downey Jr. was in it too, so that was a nice surprise. The Bartlett actor did a good job too, as did most everyone else. I didn't feel the movie dragged at all, so I'd recommend this if you want a movie that has a bunch of stuff in it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #2549
KWhit
Coordinator

There Will Be Blood: 7/10

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Daniel Day Lewis was outstanding and I enjoyed learning a little bit about the turn of the century oil industry. One thing that really bothered me though was the use of the same actor for the roles of eli and his brother. According to IMDB, this was done because the original actor playing Eli dropped out of the movie at the last minute and they would have to re-shoot some scenes.

Well, it had the unintended consequence of muddying the story. For most of the movie, I thought Eli and his brother were the same person - maybe he had a split personality or something (because he acted crazy as hell anyway). Eli and his brother were never onscreen at the same time and his brother's absence was never explained. So it was very odd to have them played by the same actor and was VERY distracting to the storyline.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #2550
MikeVic
Head Coach

Zack and Miri Make a Porno - 9.5/10
Really funny movie with some actual nice moments. I don't remember the last time I laughed this hard for a movie.