Home

Why won't the game let me pumpfake after a hopstep?

This is a discussion on Why won't the game let me pumpfake after a hopstep? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0
Why won't the game let me pumpfake after a hopstep?

It seems like 75% of the time when I use B to hopstep, it goes immediately into a shot animation without me hitting the shoot button.

What I want to do is hopstep, then pumpfake, try to get the defender up in the air and then shoot and try and draw the foul. But instead I'll just hit B to hopstep, and he'll immediately go up and shoot a contested shot without me telling him to shoot. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, as a sidenote, the game also is very choosy about when it lets me pass out of a shot. It's so frustrating. I'll drive the lane, go into a layup animation, then IMMEDIATELY hit A because I noticed I drew the 2nd defender as was my intention, trying to dump the ball off to the wide open big man, and the game refuses to pass, no matter how early I hit the pass button.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why won't the game let me pumpfake after a hopstep?

I guess sometimes the game decides your to far into the animation to break out of it.

Have this problem sometimes. Do a eurostep layup with tony parker n the paint and i try to kick it to a open bonner and parker still chucks up a bad shot. He makes alot of those bad shots

OT- i can never hit a floater with tony parker. I have bricked everyone iv took with him. I make them with cp3, ray felton, rondo, but never parker
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
I guess sometimes the game decides your to far into the animation to break out of it.

Have this problem sometimes. Do a eurostep layup with tony parker n the paint and i try to kick it to a open bonner and parker still chucks up a bad shot. He makes alot of those bad shots

OT- i can never hit a floater with tony parker. I have bricked everyone iv took with him. I make them with cp3, ray felton, rondo, but never parker

Well the shooting animation shouldn't be happening in the first place, that's the whole problem. If I hit B to hopstep, that's ALL he should do, is hopstep, not go directly into a shooting animation.

In the case of my 2nd problem (the issue of the game not letting me pass out of shots even if I do it extremely early in the animation), if the game thinks I"m too far along in the animation to break out of it then they really need to tune that because I'll hit the pass button barely after I leave the ground and it still won't let me pass.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Yeah, it's a problem but only for the user!

I have seen the CPU go up and I am about to block the shot and then it will magically float, glide, or soar in the air unrealistically. Then throw an extremely accurate pass through bodies and no bobble for an easy or open shot.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
Well the shooting animation shouldn't be happening in the first place, that's the whole problem. If I hit B to hopstep, that's ALL he should do, is hopstep, not go directly into a shooting animation.
I agree with you, I really hate when this happens and the animation in the game just takes over and shoots the ball for you when you didn't want to. This really shouldn't be happening on hopsteps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

press it once not twice and dont hold R2/Right trigger.
if youre running it instantly goes into a layup animation that you cant get out of.

if you dont hold run he just hops and holds the ball, then press square twice.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Rookie

Only Kobe can, double tap O and then shoot(square or L2-stick) while hes doing move, then stop and shoot, its a real typical Kobe money shot
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
It seems like 75% of the time when I use B to hopstep, it goes immediately into a shot animation without me hitting the shoot button.

What I want to do is hopstep, then pumpfake, try to get the defender up in the air and then shoot and try and draw the foul. But instead I'll just hit B to hopstep, and he'll immediately go up and shoot a contested shot without me telling him to shoot. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, as a sidenote, the game also is very choosy about when it lets me pass out of a shot. It's so frustrating. I'll drive the lane, go into a layup animation, then IMMEDIATELY hit A because I noticed I drew the 2nd defender as was my intention, trying to dump the ball off to the wide open big man, and the game refuses to pass, no matter how early I hit the pass button.
Yeah, the "automatic" shot after hopsteps is really annoying. This issue began in 2k12, and the problem is still there in 2k13. I don't know why they did this with the hopsteps, because it wasn't a problem in 2k11. Yet another area where 2k11 was simply better, made more sense, and gave you more control.

I made this video on the problem last year, but apparently the devs didn't think the issue needed fixing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »