Home

The Madden Platform vs Annual Releases

This is a discussion on The Madden Platform vs Annual Releases within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
The Madden Platform vs Annual Releases

This thread is purely for me to start a conversation on an idea that I was curious about. As we all know now, the short annual dev cycles have really caused all sports games to hit a point where they barely change year over year. We often joke that the games are just paid roster updates. We also joke that the only way we will ever see real improvements to mode like Franchise is through MTX like with MUT.

What if we entered into a hypothetical world where that became a reality?

For example, let's say this coming August EA releases Madden. Not Madden 25, just Madden. You buy it and now have access to the Madden platform. Initially it is just like any other release with the same features, modes, patches, etc. However, what's new is when next year rolls around, no new game is released. Instead, you pay for the updated rosters. Maybe it's $40, maybe it is the cost of a new game at $60 or $70.

On top of this, EA also releases a new presentation package. This package introduces 2 new commentary teams, 2 new broadcast networks, and 2 new broadcast packages. It's $30, but once you buy it, you have those 2 new commentary teams plus the original Gaudin and Davis in the game already.

In this scenario, MUT would also experience annual wipes like other games have where once the new season begins, all players start from the beginning again. So, it would essentially be like MUT players were starting with the new release again, so not much changes there.

Let's say the next year comes, the same paid roster update comes, but this time EA also introduces a new ERA's mode similar to 2k's. It's locked behind a $50 price tag.

They also offer a new GM system for franchise users for $30 that introduces GM's into the game. They have their own personalities, they make moves differently, they build teams differently. It is something truly new that adds real depth to the mode.

In this scenario, if you wanted the new roster update, the new eras mode, and the GM's update, you'd have to spend potentially over $100 for all of it, but it would mean real substantial updates were coming in because the community was actually paying for them.

Would you support this model if EA moved to it? If you were actually guaranteed more substantial updates to franchise mode would come because the mode became more monetized, would you support that? You'd still have the choice to not pay for the updates if you'd like, and you'd have the option to update your game whenever you felt like it was time to.

Of course, there would be restrictions. Many of the updates, if they were truly significant, would likely require a brand new franchise restart. To play online H2H you'd be required to purchase the most recent roster update, etc.

We as the consumers would be giving EA more money than we normally do, but it would also mean more areas of the game were receiving bigger updates due to the monetization.

So, is this something you'd be interested in? Or, is it an absolutely terrible idea that you cannot even believe I brought to the board?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2024, 04:00 PM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Madden Platform vs Annual Releases

The yearly release cycle is the biggest issue with the game. They just don't have the time to implement everything that could be in the game. As we see with all the bugs, they can't even test the game appropriately prior to release.

I would buy standalone versions of Franchise, a bonafide Coach mode game, and would most *DEFINITELY* pay for retro content (seasons, rosters, ect)

I have no problem whatsoever with pay windows to get the game I am looking for.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:32 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
This thread is purely for me to start a conversation on an idea that I was curious about. As we all know now, the short annual dev cycles have really caused all sports games to hit a point where they barely change year over year. We often joke that the games are just paid roster updates. We also joke that the only way we will ever see real improvements to mode like Franchise is through MTX like with MUT.

What if we entered into a hypothetical world where that became a reality?

For example, let's say this coming August EA releases Madden. Not Madden 25, just Madden. You buy it and now have access to the Madden platform. Initially it is just like any other release with the same features, modes, patches, etc. However, what's new is when next year rolls around, no new game is released. Instead, you pay for the updated rosters. Maybe it's $40, maybe it is the cost of a new game at $60 or $70.

On top of this, EA also releases a new presentation package. This package introduces 2 new commentary teams, 2 new broadcast networks, and 2 new broadcast packages. It's $30, but once you buy it, you have those 2 new commentary teams plus the original Gaudin and Davis in the game already.

In this scenario, MUT would also experience annual wipes like other games have where once the new season begins, all players start from the beginning again. So, it would essentially be like MUT players were starting with the new release again, so not much changes there.

Let's say the next year comes, the same paid roster update comes, but this time EA also introduces a new ERA's mode similar to 2k's. It's locked behind a $50 price tag.

They also offer a new GM system for franchise users for $30 that introduces GM's into the game. They have their own personalities, they make moves differently, they build teams differently. It is something truly new that adds real depth to the mode.

In this scenario, if you wanted the new roster update, the new eras mode, and the GM's update, you'd have to spend potentially over $100 for all of it, but it would mean real substantial updates were coming in because the community was actually paying for them.

Would you support this model if EA moved to it? If you were actually guaranteed more substantial updates to franchise mode would come because the mode became more monetized, would you support that? You'd still have the choice to not pay for the updates if you'd like, and you'd have the option to update your game whenever you felt like it was time to.

Of course, there would be restrictions. Many of the updates, if they were truly significant, would likely require a brand new franchise restart. To play online H2H you'd be required to purchase the most recent roster update, etc.

We as the consumers would be giving EA more money than we normally do, but it would also mean more areas of the game were receiving bigger updates due to the monetization.

So, is this something you'd be interested in? Or, is it an absolutely terrible idea that you cannot even believe I brought to the board?
You will never see a change. EA is contractually obligated to release a game every year. The NFL doesn't care about anything you posted. They care about the $70 or more the game sells for each year. Most gamers are not paying $40 for a roster update. You cannot sell the casual gamer in marketing: "Buy the Madden 24 roster update!" You are also adding microtransactions....just ask 2Kers how they like those in a franchise mode. That is a road Madden franchise players Do Not Want to go down. You are adding cost to a game that has been out a year and features that should have already been in the game. That will be the counter and Madden players will reject it. Just because 2k players have accepted the micro-transaction BS, doesn't mean Madden players will.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:48 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigBoyC
You will never see a change. EA is contractually obligated to release a game every year.

This is why I said let's step into a hypothetical world.

The NFL doesn't care about anything you posted.

Cool? The NFL probably doesn't care about a single thing posted here, on reddit, or anywhere else. They see the revenue and are clearly happy.

They care about the $70 or more the game sells for each year. Most gamers are not paying $40 for a roster update. You cannot sell the casual gamer in marketing: "Buy the Madden 24 roster update!"

The casual gamer is literally who marketing is directed at. You can very much sell the casual gamer with marketing. It can be spun in many different ways to get the casual gamer on board, especially if the price point of $40 was what they went with. You could easily convince them they are getting an updated game with the free patches and the paid roster update for less than what they were paying before with the old model.

The casual gamers are also full of H2H type players and MUT-heads, so the roster update being necessary for those features would lead to the casual gamer purchasing it. A lot of people that buy the game and then complain it about it call it a paid roster update already, so I'd say a large majority of players of the series would still pay for a literal roster update. How many kids would care that it's their parents' money buying it?

You are also adding microtransactions....just ask 2Kers how they like those in a franchise mode. That is a road Madden franchise players Do Not Want to go down. You are adding cost to a game that has been out a year and features that should have already been in the game. That will be the counter and Madden players will reject it. Just because 2k players have accepted the micro-transaction BS, doesn't mean Madden players will.

I don't know what world you live in where you think Madden gamers are so much stronger than 2k gamers, lol. The game already has microtransactions anyways. It's what drives the MUT revenue through the roof and it's why so many people say franchise mode won't get the love it needs until they are brought over into that mode as well.

The counter makes no sense that you're proposing. The whole idea is a platform that acts a live service with both free and paid updates. It's not like you're charging for updates for Madden 25 and then still releasing Madden 26 on top of that. In this hypothetical scenario, the Madden platform exists and you're paying for larger updates that bring noticeable change to the game while everyone still receives normal patches and tuning updates for free. If you don't want something like a paid broadcast package, you don't pay for it. Grab the roster update and then start your updated franchise mode with whatever free tweaks they made to the mode.
My answers are in red.

― Plato
Old 02-22-2024, 05:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
My answers are in red.
Madden Franchise players don't have micro transactions and that is who your post is aimed at.

The problem is what you are asking for takes resources from the main Madden release. You are basically asking for DLC/Expansion packs. Sports games do not work like that....never have. It is a non-starter for EA and gamers.

Someone posts something like this ever so often, thinking it a Novel way to do things. It has been thought of and stated before. Never going to happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2024, 05:14 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Madden Franchise players don't have micro transactions and that is who your post is aimed at.

I know. That's why you are in a thread where I proposed a hypothetical situation to see if this community, which is full of franchise players mostly, would be inclined to pay for franchise updates if they were more significant and in higher frequency with a different release model.

The problem is what you are asking for takes resources from the main Madden release. You are basically asking for DLC/Expansion packs. Sports games do not work like that....never have. It is a non-starter for EA and gamers.

I am not asking for anything from EA. I am asking the community what their opinions would be in a hypothetical situation. I'm not sure how this takes away from the main Madden release either? This allows them to develop the game continuously as a live service, so there is no main release in this purely HYPOTHETICAL situation.

Someone posts something like this ever so often, thinking it a Novel way to do things. It has been thought of and stated before. Never going to happen.

Brother, just lol. I didn't make this thread with the intention of acting like I am a genius that can make EA more money with a new release model. It's literally a thread to see what the opinion of the members of the community are in a hypothetical situation that would be different from the status quo.

This thread was not created with the intention of me patting myself on the back and crossing my fingers hoping some EA suit sees it and thinks I must be a business mogul thus leading to EA completely changing how Madden is handled moving forward. I simply wanted to know if this community would be willing to deal with a different model if it meant spending more money but getting more updates in the areas of the game they care more about. Nothing more.
Again, answers in red.

― Plato
Old 02-22-2024, 05:31 PM   #7
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
The problem is what you are asking for takes resources from the main Madden release. You are basically asking for DLC/Expansion packs. Sports games do not work like that....never have. It is a non-starter for EA and gamers
Yes, EA would have to devote resources to these projects.

They could and should be able to make that profitable for them.

I would pay $100 for a robust coach/management game, similar to HC09

I would pay the same for a better franchise mode

I would pay unholy sums of money for retro seasons, rather than having to devote my own time and effort creating them. (I am not naive to the limitations there though)

I don't see change on the horizon. But that doesn't mean things shouldn't change.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Yes, EA would have to devote resources to these projects.

They could and should be able to make that profitable for them.

I would pay $100 for a robust coach/management game, similar to HC09

I would pay the same for a better franchise mode

I would pay unholy sums of money for retro seasons, rather than having to devote my own time and effort creating them. (I am not naive to the limitations there though)

I don't see change on the horizon. But that doesn't mean things shouldn't change.
You will, most won't. HC 09 was a disappointing seller.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »