Home

NBA 2K24 Interview with Mike Wang - Gameplay Improvements, Badges & More

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Interview with Mike Wang - Gameplay Improvements, Badges & More within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K24 Interview with Mike Wang - Gameplay Improvements, Badges & More

The PlayStation Blog has posted an interview with NBA 2K gameplay director Mike Wang as they...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: More NBA 2K24 Gameplay Details - Interview with Mike Wang

Quote:
So the body up, that’s basically our on-ball defense in the collisions that happen when you body up the ball-handler, that system got blown out, especially under the basket/around the rim, that contact there, the post-contact in the paint shots especially–being able to put a body on a shooter in the paint was a big aspect of improving paint defense.
I always get a little concerned when body-ups end up back in the limelight, just because it always seems to be such a delicate balance between realism and impenetrable brick walls.

Hopefully it's not too overdone or at least subject to sliders, as it generally always is. The worst 2K's for me have always been the ones where only the slickest of right-stick dribble moves provided any semblance of open space while things like jabs, pump-fakes, and weight-shifting first steps were powerless and just ended up with your player being stonewalled.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I always get a little concerned when body-ups end up back in the limelight, just because it always seems to be such a delicate balance between realism and impenetrable brick walls.

Hopefully it's not too overdone or at least subject to sliders, as it generally always is. The worst 2K's for me have always been the ones where only the slickest of right-stick dribble moves provided any semblance of open space while things like jabs, pump-fakes, and weight-shifting first steps were powerless and just ended up with your player being stonewalled.
Yeah it can be a slippery slope to balance it out right. Paint defense felt overall too slippery in 23 which favored the offense too much in my opinion. I think this seems like it will be a little more difficult to score in the paint for everyone unless you have top paint scorers or elite paint finishers as long as you have some skill.

The body up sensitivity on the perimeter felt a little too slick as well especially against the CPU. You had to use elite of the elite on ball defenders to get some body up animations to play out.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #4
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I think it's really hard to mimic real life NBA, or basketball in general, because in the game you expect to see scenarios that make sense: you expect to see good defense, help defense, closeout, collisions in the paint and overall gameplay that makes sense in every situation.

However, in real life humans make mistakes, get lazy, or just make decisions against basic logic, even against their own logic. That's why you see possessions in real life where defense is bad and no one is closing out, or someone leaving a great shooter wide open. That would be unacceptable in the game and would be lead to complaints and patches. But it does happen in real life.

That's why I don't think it is possible to mimic the real game all the time without getting some scenarios that wouldn't make sense in the virtual version of the game. Human behavior is not always logical.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 08-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

Good Stuff! Can"t wait to get my hands on the game.

Mike, can we get a Fixed Hieght toggle for the On Court cam? I love that cam as it brings you close to the action, but I hate when the ball goes out of view when shooting from behind the arc.

Also when playing on the 2K Low cam with Zoom 10 Height 1, the camera sometimes cuts off the players when in the upper right or left corners behind the arc. Hopefully this has been fixed for 24.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

I hope in MYNBA will have practice drills for specific badges and still be able to get badges from vets
Old 08-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #7
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Call the fouls. There is never too much body contact in the paint, if they call fouls. In real life both offensive and defensive players have to avoid contact/collisions at different times.

So I always want the contact to be as high as possible, and then call the fouls when necessary.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 08-21-2023, 05:33 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I cringe a little whenever I see the words "skilled based" being used. As far as being more accessible I wish they would expand 2ku.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »