Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #185
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZimmerman
I love the game! They finally got Great American Ballpark somewhat right, Reds logo behind home plate looks perfect, I like that they put the LED standings banners up in LF, but they are blank, Why put them in if they are blank? And the Tundra fan give away truck is missing, but I figured it was a liecensing issue.

The lighting in day games is much better! Also night games look great! Uniforms look amazing, but I did notice the logo on the hats being a bit to low that someone mentioned, but whatever, not a big deal.

I just love the gameplay, the graphics are crazy nice, Jay Bruce's and Joey Votto's HR swings are money! Brandon Phillips stance is jaw dropping! As is Matt Latos's pitch delievery.

A little dissappointed in the fireworks after a homerun at GABP, they are way to quite, they are booming loud on tv in real life, and in the game you can barley hear them. Some people complain about them not having flames coming out of the smokestacks after a strikeout, but they never show them on TV anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

One thing I was hoping they would change but didn't, the umpires are still in short sleeves when its 40 degrees.

I bought the download version. I started downloading it at 12:03 a.m., at 10:00 a.m. it still wasn't done! I got my money back from PSN, and went and bought the disc version, no problems with shuttering.

Yeah I thought the fire works were lame myself. But, I guess they have to give us a reason to go to games or we might never go outside.

I laugh every time BP comes to bat, I don't see how he even hits the ball wiggling around like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #186
Rookie

chelios7's Arena

OVR: 3

Really fun game so far. Was playing Royals (me) vs. Indians last night in Cleveland. Went up 2-0 in the second off of a 2 run homerun by Mike Moustakas. Kept it 2-0 until the 6th when the Indians blasted Shields for 4 runs. The Tribe scored 2 more on Shields in the 7th before I took him out to lead 6-2. I finally chased Jimenez in the 8th by scoring 3 runs off him and then getting 2 more off of their relievers to make it 7-6 Royals. I scored 3 more in the top of the 9th to go up 10-6 and then had to sweat out a 10-9 win after my bullpen gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the ninth.

Fantastic game that ended 10-9 Royals.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #187
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewochs615
I still have yet to win a game. I always take the lead early and then make some stupid error somehow or give up a long ball give away the lead. Then I stop hitting
Same here. I had a great game going in my very first game on default all star.

I was the Braves at the Marlins. Started the game with back to back doubles with Simmons and Heyward to score a run. Got a run in the 4th off a solo bomb by BJ Upton. Medlen was protecting the shutout, although with a high pitch count. Then it fell apart. Missed an easy pop fly because I didn't quite get under it behind 1st. Then screwed up a throw trying out the button throwing. Hate it, so i went back to analog.

Overall, good game. I coaxed 4 walks. Struck out way too much but that will come in time. I like the subtle changes to pulse pitching. You can't just paint corners anymore, and the umps seem to squeeze the zone. This is going to be fun.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #188
Rookie

JasonZimmerman's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredmachine87
Yeah I thought the fire works were lame myself. But, I guess they have to give us a reason to go to games or we might never go outside.

I laugh every time BP comes to bat, I don't see how he even hits the ball wiggling around like that.
I haven't got to experiance a homerun by the Reds at the stadium yet. I've only been to one game there. Last year I went to the Reds Cards game, the cards hit two homers, Reds didn't hit one, but I would imagine the fireworks would be very loud live. I'm going to a lot more this year! I don't know how BP does it either! lol
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #189
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog
Same here. I had a great game going in my very first game on default all star.

I was the Braves at the Marlins. Started the game with back to back doubles with Simmons and Heyward to score a run. Got a run in the 4th off a solo bomb by BJ Upton. Medlen was protecting the shutout, although with a high pitch count. Then it fell apart. Missed an easy pop fly because I didn't quite get under it behind 1st. Then screwed up a throw trying out the button throwing. Hate it, so i went back to analog.

Overall, good game. I coaxed 4 walks. Struck out way too much but that will come in time. I like the subtle changes to pulse pitching. You can't just paint corners anymore, and the umps seem to squeeze the zone. This is going to be fun.

The same thing happened to me with infield pop ups. I was in playoff mode wild card game O's and Rangers and Manny Machado missed a pop up. I then came back to take the lead but had Jim Johnson blow the game.

I have stuck to analog pitching, i can't seem to get the hang of pulse picthing as I do ok but eventually leave pitches fat which get crushed.

I just need practice I guess
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #190
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
I'm a person who doesn't just want to hear "fielding is better". I want specific examples to support that statement. Before I bought the game I pm'd 2 guys I trust to ask about that subject specifically.

So, let me give you an example of how fielding is better.

In 12, almost every foul ball was tracked down and caught, save those that went into the crowd. The outfielder rating didn't seem to matter.

In just a few games I've seen no less than 3 foul balls, deep down the outfield lines NOT be caught. I mean, balls you expect are easy outs.

In all 3 cases the outfielder had poor speed and poor fielding ratings. I was stunned. The better outfielders get to those balls.

Bravo

Sent from the best smartphone in the world using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #191
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredmachine87
Does anyone think hitting is a little too easy? Or maybe it's everyone I've been playing online sucks.
These are my stats from games I've played

5 runs on 9 hits (8 innings)
7 runs on 9 hits (9 innings)
5 runs on 7 hits (9 innings)
4 runs on 5 hits (9 innings)
2 runs on 3 hits (5 innings) I tapped out
8 runs on 14hits (9 innings)
1 runs on 2 hits (7 innings)
4 runs on 12hits (9 innings)
6 runs on 12hits(9 innings)

MLB average is 8 hits a game and 4 runs.
Maybe I'm missing something? The stats you listed are at almost exactly 8 hits and a shade over 4.5 runs per game. Even extrapolating out the 2 incomplete games, you'd still be right around the average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #192
Banned

The Good:
The game players very smooth for me. I'm not seeing the stutter that others have reported.

The ball physics are great. Lots of new ways to get a hit from texas leaguer to chopper up the middle to slicing line drive. They are all in the game and it makes for a lot of realism.

Pulling the ball is now more frequent. In MLB The Show 12 it was a bit hard to pull the ball but it seems like in this year's version I am seeing a lot more pulled balls down the line for singles or doubles now.

Super high choppers in foul territory are no longer as frequent, if at all.

There's not as many line drives off the pitcher this year. Last year it seemed line at least one line drive per game would hit off a pitcher. I haven't seen it happens once in three game yet. Juan Nicasio thanks you!

I'm noticing more bobbled balls, dropped balls, throws off line, etc. It seems like mistakes are more frequent this year which I think is great.

Not exactly sure what it is but the stadiums and graphics do appear just a bit more crisp this year.

I like the new user interface for the most part. I especially like the roster screen where you're looking through the players and the first page now shows what team each player is assigned (MLB, AAA, AAA, A). Last year I had to scroll to the right to see what team they were assigned and now I can do it on the first page without scrolling.

The scorebug is tidier this year, it seems to take up less space.

The Bad:
Some of the faces aren't very good this year. In particular I seem to notice last year's rookies are SCEA created players this year and they just don't look very accurate. It's almost as if the team did a rush job on them just to get something out the door. Josh Rutledge of the Rockies for instance doesn't really look at all like the real Josh Rutledge. The version that was included last year in the late season SCEA Online Roster update was quite a bit closer to what he really looks like.

There's an odd situation that occurs when pitching where part of the pitch meter is covered up by an overlay. When I'm pitching I have the camera set to behind the pitcher. When an overlay appears telling me the pitch count, or who's up next , or how many feet the previous batter's home run traveled, etc, the overlay blocks out the top of the pitch meter. It's not a big deal but a little unpolished.

I'm not a big fan of how the CPU sets the lineups but I don't recall any game ever getting this 100% how I like it. Unless there's some configurable attributes that can be set by the user to tell the CPU how to set the lineup I don't see how they could ever please everyone.

Overall:
The Show 13 is a great game. It captures baseball better than any other game captures a sport. However, it's not a huge improvement from The Show 12 because The Show 12 was so good. I don't know how SCEA is going to do it but somehow they have to keep the greatness of what they have AND add something that raises the bar and elevates the game to another level.

Last edited by hoser; 03-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »