Home

Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

This is a discussion on Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #377
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39
Re: Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

You HAVE to play off the ball to get proper help defense
Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #378
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
You HAVE to play off the ball to get proper help defense

Actually, YOU have to provide the help defense. The CPU's help defense is money, but players on your team get beat constantly on back-door cuts. That's why I control a big man most of the time.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #379
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

^ Yea that is what I am saying. You have to put your folks in proper help

I guard the ball but I am constantly swithcing on/off to the opposite post to put him in position to help, just in case I get beat
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #380
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_capone
those same types of animations have happend for me vs the computer with me being the defender... watch this video to see the result...

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...?mediaid=13042

i was the blazers, computer was the raptors... shaq jumped way before iggy... iggy traveled like crazy tho then shaq's arm goes right through him... it does not always happen like that tho, some times you block the CPU's shot on those too...
LOL you now what pisses me off most... Is my boy I play against will celebrate a shot like that. Like YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #381
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
^ Yea that is what I am saying. You have to put your folks in proper help

I guard the ball but I am constantly swithcing on/off to the opposite post to put him in position to help, just in case I get beat
Thats the same thing I do. I guard the PG down the floor and then move off him once the opposing PG settles down for trying to blow past him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #382
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchiggs
Thats the same thing I do. I guard the PG down the floor and then move off him once the opposing PG settles down for trying to blow past him.
Yep, I do the same thing. Usually I switch to the center, and I'm causing more turnovers by doubling the cutters(tipped passes, steals, shot clock violations).
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #383
Banned

OVR: 9

NBA2k9 is one of the greatest sports titles ever made.....I find that Player Lock is far more Sim though with some minor slider adjustments...Mainly things like having the CPU and your team with higher 'back to the basket' and stuff like that....Turn up 'run plays' in CPU team sliders as well

also the CPU does play less realistic if you gaurd the PG ALL the time...That makes them drive to the hole more
Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #384
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

To anyone who read my original post in this thread...

Been practicing contesting layups with the steal button and I am a complete moron.

The 'contested layup' interaction kicks in based simply on position and you don't have to hit the steal button. You don't have to be moving at all. Simply standing in the way with no input is sometimes the best way to get this thing to work I've found. The steal button makes you lunge into that position sometimes, but does not trigger the interaction itself.

After 2 weeks of trying to determine the correct positions, it seems to be based on being directly between the shooter and the basket when the layup animation fires, but then again, it sometimes kicks in when you are behind the shooter, off to the side, etc. So while I'm starting to learn where you need to be positioned to have the best chance of contesting layups without jumping, I have no idea if it can be controlled precisely, or if its just the CPU dragging a near defender into the play as part of some "defended layup" calculation. It definitly triggers at a MUCH higher rate if you're locked on to the shooter at the start of his layup animation, but again, lock-on not required.

While I HATE the random nature of this mechanic, its ironic that the best on-ball defensive tactic for protecting the rim is based on simply being at the right place at the right time vs. timing the block button. It would also be abused to DEATH on every layup if it were simple, so...

Sorry for the bad info.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 04-27-2009 at 02:54 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »