Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #1785
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Where's Brinkman? I want some answers! We deserve some answers! This game is a mess!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #1786
Banned

OVR: 26

Well, rented the finally...

Past that, I don't quite know what to say or where to start. This game is so bad in so many ways. My copy of The Show 06 on the PS2 puts this game to shame. And rather than repeat what's already been said, I'll just recommend to anyone still on the fence: don't buy it. And don't even bother renting the game. I honestly feel I just threw $10 away.

Last edited by baa7; 03-09-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #1787
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
What a disappointment! I was so pumped after last years game because I thought they had a really great game with the exception of a few things(fielding,hit variety,a few other small things) but the bones were there for something great.Then this years version comes and...BOOM....they killed it.....This game is awful.Cmon fellas,just be honest.The graphics stink,the new pitching mechanic is ridiculously stupid and unnescessary and the frame rate is horrible which makes the fielding sketchy at best.Anyone who says they like this game is lying to themselves and I guarantee once "spring fever" wears off you'll be trading this in for GTA IV.
I am not lying to myself either.....the first two days that allowed me to play the game I thought it stunk. I said that 2k7 was better and that this was at least a step backwards. Now, after spending a Saturday with it and getting time to adjust sliders to how a game should act it plays the best game of baseball I have seen.

Do I have the show? Nope. Will I be trading it in - ever - for GTA IV? God no.

Pitching: easy once you get used to the meter
Fielding: amazing once you get the pace of the game down

Is it perfect? nowhere near......but I am happy. honest.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #1788
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Great post, Mizzou. I'm sure if they had extra time the framerate wouldn't even be an issue.

Don't agree with you there at all. The installs to the hard drive are to speed up load times (or in some instances, eliminate them completely) as games are using textures now that aren't a few MB's in size. It's either that, stare at a loading screen for 5 mins or get a game with terrible textures.

------

I've spent more and more time with the game and it's not the HUGE disappointment it first was. They really lowered a lot of the graphical effects and that's sad to see. Others may say the downgrade isn't that bad but I don't agree with them. The graphics were really nice last year and they're just ok this year, especially with some strange looking animations at times. At least last year these animations look strange with the graphics at such a high level. It's frustrating because you expect the game to look better every year, not worse.

Gameplay though... very, very nice. I love how loose everything feels. Very MVP-ish on the field. I'm really liking the pitching the more I spend time with it, but as someone else said, it's still a meter. The only difference is the motions you're inputting. Still is a nice diversion from the norm. I still hate the meatball thing. Such a stupid, stupid idea. The way the CPU always hits a no-doubter where they pose and everything is another stupid inclusion. Makes you wonder who was in charge of this aspect of the game. I can understand the CPU making you pay with a nice double down the line but to have it practically a HR most of the time is... ugh. That's a very arcade aspect that I hate and this series always seems to have something like that. WHY???

I'm seeing the CPU throw a decent variety of balls/strikes but the lack of walks is killing me. Once you get the hang of the meter you can still pinpoint your pitches. Again, get rid of the meatball and make the player miss his spot out of the zone sometimes as well.

This series is just beyond frustrating. If it's not one thing it's another. Last year it took heavy slider work to get the game to play a sim-game of baseball, but it looked great and the camera angle they added after the patch was tops. This year, the game looks flat and dull at times as it took a graphical hit with the gameplay being a bit better and more involving. Still needs heavy slider work, again
It's just frustrating to think this could be the only baseball game out there because of exclusivity. It certainly is nice to have a choice. If only we had the same thing in football.
Agree with you on this. Rented this game. I've been playing this for a few days without posting my thoughts to be fair. This game isn't as bad as it initially seems but it's not really near even grounds with the show. Almost in anyway. A big advantage was the graphics, and now its not. These graphics are really bad at this point and the textures are just horrid at times. Kinda looks wii' ish/n64 ish. just blurry and not sharp. The pitching mechanic is cool but like pared said, it's still a meter. Personally I use classic in the show, just because I like the randomness a little more. but non the less, If this was the only choice I had I wouldn't be totally dissapointed, but I would feel that I probably paid too much for this game. My favorite thing is the analog fielding. Hope they steal it for the show...
Old 03-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #1789
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
The most important thing to me is also getting sim like stats which the game also fails at miserably but thats not the point.The point is that 2K released a game that was worse than last years game and if they're going to charge premimum money for a game it should at least be as good as the previous years version.Look I'm not one of those trollers who looks to write bad things about a game,(you can check my posts,there's rarely any negativity)but when I pay 65$ for something I do have certain expectations.This game in my opinion is a failure on all fronts and thats a disappointment.
That's not what I was responding to, though. I can see why some people are frustated with this game; things that aren't important to me are important to them and it's bringing the game down. I'm not going to call anyone a troll for not liking this game; preference is preference. What I was repsonding to is the fact that you said that anyone who likes the game is lying to themselves.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1790
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEagle18
Is it just me or are people starting to get into this game very heavily now, some even praising it. I think all the naysayers and negative comments were very premature and though I admit some problems, I think this game will prove to be a fine one. Anyone agree? Or Disagree?
Gameplay wise, this game is fun because of the new controls and more realistic hit results. But the game just doesn't stack up visually. How they could take such a big step backwards when last year the game was stunning and the lighting effects were awesome? If only we could have the appearance of 2k7 + gameplay of 2k8. Or maybe that = 2k9? I mean, I bought a next gen system for games that look great and play great. If not I could have stuck with my xbox.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #1791
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
I am not lying to myself either.....the first two days that allowed me to play the game I thought it stunk. I said that 2k7 was better and that this was at least a step backwards. Now, after spending a Saturday with it and getting time to adjust sliders to how a game should act it plays the best game of baseball I have seen.

Do I have the show? Nope. Will I be trading it in - ever - for GTA IV? God no.

Pitching: easy once you get used to the meter
Fielding: amazing once you get the pace of the game down

Is it perfect? nowhere near......but I am happy. honest.
Well,I guess thats why they have vanilla and chocolate.My personal preference is a game that simulates the sport as closely as possible.To me NBA 2K8 is the benchmark for sports games.Madden 08 is actually another great game except for one fatal flaw,the dim witted CPU QB AI.If EA released Madden with a real announcer and better CPU QB logic it would be on par with NBA 2K.I really wanted this game to be great,baseball's my favorite sport and after LY's game I thought they were on the right track,which is why I'm so frustrated.I HATE the new pitching meter and its not because its hard or easy I just hate the concept I have no idea why they changed it last years was great.I'm sorry I'm babbling but whatever,I'm glad you like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #1792
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I have no idea why they changed it last years was great.
I thought you could change back to last year's...??

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »