Home

Enough is Enough. Baseball needs instant replay.

This is a discussion on Enough is Enough. Baseball needs instant replay. within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Enough is Enough. Baseball needs instant replay.

Earlier this year we all saw the situation with Tigers pitcher Armando Gallaraga losing a perfect game due to a blown call. Terrible situation, but at least that didn't decide the winner/loser of the game.

Tonight's Marlins/Phillies game, a ball down the 3rd base line that should have been called fair and given the Marlins the win is called foul by ump Bob Davidson, and the Marlins eventually lost in extra innings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suhgI...layer_embedded

I know for a fact that these aren't the only instances where bad calls have cost teams. What if calls like these happen and impact the winner of the World Series?

I just don't understand how MLB can be so far behind on this issue when so many other sports have surpassed it. Enough of the excuses about replay slowing down the game already. If a correct call needs to be made, it shouldn't matter how long it takes. I know I might be preaching to the choir on this one, but it just baffles me how MLB and in particular Bud Selig continue to be so hard up in their stance on replay.

Replay should be expanded to fair/foul calls and out/safe calls, but not balls/strikes. That is one area where I'm willing to go because it's more of a judgement, but the other areas should be reviewed.

PSN: dsavbeast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Enough is Enough. Baseball needs instant replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
What if calls like these happen and impact the winner of the World Series?
That's already happened.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
That's already happened.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
That's already happened.
You're right, I forgot about the Denkinger call. MLB is at least 10 years overdue for replay, heck one could argue it should have been the first sport for replay ahead of football and basketball, instead of lagging behind the rest of the world.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

But yeah, awful call.

I think Davidson thought the ball was foul on the first bounce, but after freezing it multiple times, it clearly hits the chalk.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

So say they replay it, and "overturn" it. What happens? Sanchez awarded a single and the runner on 2nd moves to 3rd? Or do they just assume the runner would score? Shoot, the runner could've fell down and got thrown out by some sort of twist of fate. The call would be right, but the outcome not because most likely the Marlins would've won, however, it would be assuming they would, and how far could you assume?
To me, this would be similar to say in football where a guy catches a pass, its whistled incomplete though, but turns upfield and gets 20 more yards and scores. However, the defense heard the play whistled dead and saw the signal incomplete, so when reviewing and changing the outcome, the extra yards are negated due to the unknown.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
So say they replay it, and "overturn" it. What happens? Sanchez awarded a single and the runner on 2nd moves to 3rd? Or do they just assume the runner would score? Shoot, the runner could've fell down and got thrown out by some sort of twist of fate. The call would be right, but the outcome not because most likely the Marlins would've won, however, it would be assuming they would, and how far could you assume?
To me, this would be similar to say in football where a guy catches a pass, its whistled incomplete though, but turns upfield and gets 20 more yards and scores. However, the defense heard the play whistled dead and saw the signal incomplete, so when reviewing and changing the outcome, the extra yards are negated due to the unknown.
Since the ball doesn't get cut off and roles all the way to the wall you award Sanchez with a double and the run scores. If the LF gets to the ball before it rolls that far than maybe you give him a single and hold the runner at third.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Hanley was almost at 3rd when it hops past the bag, pretty easy to assume he would have scored.

This is just pathetic tho, Jim Joyce blew his call and admitted. This guy really didnt even make a call he said foul almost right after the ball comes off the bat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »