Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Curt Schilling and Social Media Idiots

Not sure how many have seen/followed this story.
Just ran across it today.

Worth a read. I was never a Schilling fan, but am a little bit now.

The world we live in…Man has it changed. ADDENDUM! | 38 Pitches

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've always been a Schilling fan, never got the shit people gave him over his opinions. Even here in Boston, his name is legend but he still get's flack for what he says/writes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think the guy's a douche, but kudos fro this. I'm all for free speech, but generally think that you should stand behind what you say.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Schilling is a douche. But he's right on point with some of that stuff. I also find these people who immediately close down their accounts and go into hiding when they get exposed to be the biggest fucking pussies on the planet.

I also don't know what can be done. It does seem like the internet turns people into sociopaths at times. At the same time I'm not sure what I think about this stuff moving to real life. I mean I want to see the guy who wrote that shit exposed for what he said. But I also think it's scary when we have mobs trying to get someone fired for saying something that isn't politically correct (like when a celebrity makes a bad joke).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think the line here is the "DJ" was a student-DJ and his post violatd the private schools code of conduct.

He probably also broke some laws by cyber bullying and threatening rape.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think the line here is the "DJ" was a student-DJ and his post violatd the private schools code of conduct.

He probably also broke some laws by cyber bullying and threatening rape.

Another fine product of Brookdale Community College.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
miked
College Starter

I was talking to my wife about this the other day. You have a generation of kids (I've seen horrible tweets from 13 year olds, 16 year olds, etc) that think it's perfectly normal to act like this behind a computer. Curt is a mega-douche but he has it right, none of these guys would ever say anything remotely close in person to anyone. If I get an email from somebody who wants to work for me, the first thing I do is google them and check our their social media stuff. Hopefully that's a lesson I can give to my children as they grow older.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

I love it when the worst twitter trolls are outed. That's the way to hold people accountable and to get "revenge", just use speech of your own. This is Adam Nagel's internet identity now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Despise internet shock trolls like that, but it only blew up because Schilling started challenging Salve kids to fights. (I notice he mentions the SF tweet and skips over those.) And now I believe he's been contacting coaches and school presidents to get players/students in trouble.

So yeah, congrats on getting a few random trolls that would never have even met your daughter in trouble, but it's at the expense of making it a national story and something every person on the Salve campus will hear about before your daughter steps foot on campus. Same reason why you don't go after anonymous - generally there are more of those people, they have more time on their hands, and little to lose.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Another fine product of Brookdale Community College.

haha.

I was a DJ on that station 20+ years ago
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Despise internet shock trolls like that, but it only blew up because Schilling started challenging Salve kids to fights. (I notice he mentions the SF tweet and skips over those.) And now I believe he's been contacting coaches and school presidents to get players/students in trouble.

So yeah, congrats on getting a few random trolls that would never have even met your daughter in trouble, but it's at the expense of making it a national story and something every person on the Salve campus will hear about before your daughter steps foot on campus. Same reason why you don't go after anonymous - generally there are more of those people, they have more time on their hands, and little to lose.

As a father of a daughter it would be my first instinct to defend her.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So one of the trolls worked for the Yankees (very part time ticket-seller)

he got terminated over this, according to the Yankees director of communication.

Hopefully, the different between just being fired and being terminated is that when you're terminated, an angry Arnold Schwarzenegger delivers your pink slip
Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Some of this is about celebrity and sports fandom, but I think a lot of it is just misogyny. This is what a lot of women deal with on the internet. If you're a pretty girl and try to have some kind of blog, or a pinterest account, this is what you get if you put up a photo of yourself. This is what you get if you're a female sports reporter with your photo on stories. I heard a WWE women's wrestler talking about this once. Any attempt to interact with fans involves sorting through mountains of hostile rape threats or creepy stalker stuff. The perceived anonymity on the internet lets these dirtbags be their true selves and unleash their real feelings about women generally. This is what a completely innocent bystander with a famous father gets - imagine what the real prominent women in media and entertainment get.

Last edited by molson : 03-02-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hell, look at "#GamerGate" and all that BS. Someone has the temerity to think that video games have an issue in the way that they portray women? It's time to threaten them in thousands of different ways, threaten massacres at public speaking events where they're participating,e tcetera.

If we ever lose "free speech" on the internet, people's disgust and reaction to crap like this will probably be high on the reasons why.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Adam Nagel accused of sending vulgar tweets about Schilling's daughter
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Some of this is about celebrity and sports fandom, but I think a lot of it is just misogyny. This is what a lot of women deal with on the internet. If you're a pretty girl and try to have some kind of blog, or a pinterest account, this is what you get if you put up a photo of yourself. This is what you get if you're a female sports reporter with your photo on stories. I heard a WWE women's wrestler talking about this once. Any attempt to interact with fans involves sorting through mountains of hostile rape threats or creepy stalker stuff. The perceived anonymity on the internet lets these dirtbags be their true selves and unleash their real feelings about women generally. This is what a completely innocent bystander with a famous father gets - imagine what the real prominent women in media and entertainment get.

Hell, I think online dating is the same way for women. A lot of rather rude and crude messages from moronic guys.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #17
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Hell, look at "#GamerGate" and all that BS. Someone has the temerity to think that video games have an issue in the way that they portray women? It's time to threaten them in thousands of different ways, threaten massacres at public speaking events where they're participating,e tcetera.

If we ever lose "free speech" on the internet, people's disgust and reaction to crap like this will probably be high on the reasons why.

Gamergate is a bunch of nerds vs a bunch of professional victims. It's the dumbest thing the internet has ever created and everyone involved is pathetic.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It really is weird looking through the comments of any female celebrity who posts stuff to Twitter or instagram. It's either incredibly vulgar comments about how they look and what they want to do to them, or really pathetic guys who think whiteknighting will get the female celebrity to acknowledge them.

I don't even know if anything will ever change. Maybe guys are just pigs and the veil of anonymity on the internet will lead to that kind of stuff.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Gamergate is a bunch of nerds vs a bunch of professional victims. It's the dumbest thing the internet has ever created and everyone involved is pathetic.

Yeah, if you think Brianna, Zoe Quinn, etcetera are "professional victims".. yeah.. sorry, you're wrong.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

Not a fan of Schilling the person. I also found it ridiculous that ESPN suspended Keith Law for arguing evolution with him on twitter while Schilling received no punishment (although Law's tweet upon his return was brilliant).

Link for those interested.

Despite his flaws he does do some good things every now and then. This particular instance being one of them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #21
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, if you think Brianna, Zoe Quinn, etcetera are "professional victims".. yeah.. sorry, you're wrong.

They all beg for donations on the internet for these causes (and get it) in an industry they are barely a part of. They are the definition of professional victims.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that's idiotic. Why don't you go through what they do, walk a mile in their shoes, and then I'll consider your point of view as anything more then idiocy.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, that's idiotic. Why don't you go through what they do, walk a mile in their shoes, and then I'll consider your point of view as anything more then idiocy.

Why don't you tell me what they do besides pretend to be developers, complain about being oppressed (which is hilarious for anyone who knows anything about the tech industry today), and beg for money?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gamergate is ... the dumbest thing the internet has ever created

With the above revision, that's roughly where I ended up on the subject.

The vast amount of fucks I didn't give about either/any of the sides, combined with the incredible annoyance with it being the dominant social media topic for weeks of pretty much every gaming related person I followed ... the only impact is had for me with reducing my consumption of/interest in anything related to gaming.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why don't you tell me what they do besides pretend to be developers, complain about being oppressed (which is hilarious for anyone who knows anything about the tech industry today), and beg for money?

Host GameJams making games, Host a site dedicated to preventing others from being harassed (CrashOverride), give high ranking talks at Game Developers Conference, and actually, you know, release games (DQ, Revolution60, etcetera).
Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Both parties need to either shut the hell up or go away.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #27
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Host GameJams making games, Host a site dedicated to preventing others from being harassed (CrashOverride), give high ranking talks at Game Developers Conference, and actually, you know, release games (DQ, Revolution60, etcetera).

I said they are professional victims and you listed a bunch of things that center around them being victims. What are you trying to argue?

Like I don't blame them or anything. It's good business today and they found a way to make good money without really having to offer up a skill.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

Am I the only one who has no clue what Gamergate is?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I looked it up and wikipedia and read this:

"Gamergate is widely viewed as a manifestation of a culture war over gaming culture diversification, artistic recognition and social criticism of video games, and the gamer social identity."

Then I kind of gave up.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I looked it up and wikipedia and read this:

"Gamergate is widely viewed as a manifestation of a culture war over gaming culture diversification, artistic recognition and social criticism of video games, and the gamer social identity."

Then I kind of gave up.

And what it actually is is a thinly-veiled attack on women in the gaming industry, and anyone who supports them when they're flooded with rape threats.

The whole thing literally started as a campaign by an angry ex-boyfriend.

Frankly, those who haven't even heard about it are better off.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Women journalists write stories about sexism in the gaming industry. Group of gamers say fuck you, there is no issue, stop using your profession to gain attention through lies. Everyone's head explodes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #32
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's basically nerds who seem to think video game blogs should act like Edward R Murrow when they cover E3. On the other end it's attention-seeking professional victims who have figured out how to earn a living off desperate internet white knights.

Now the whole thing is really on the fringes of the industry (no one who matters is involved). But it has gotten attention on social media because the people involved are total zilches with 16 hours a day of free time to tweet endlessly about how the other side of this pointless battle is evil.

The only smart people in this are the clickbait sites cashing in on articles and the professional victims who have turned having no discernable technical skills into a nice income.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
And what it actually is is a thinly-veiled attack on women in the gaming industry, and anyone who supports them when they're flooded with rape threats.

The whole thing literally started as a campaign by an angry ex-boyfriend.

Frankly, those who haven't even heard about it are better off.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
As a father of a daughter it would be my first instinct to defend her.
Don't have a daughter, but couldn't agree more. However, if I knew it would exponentially increase any abuse my daughter (or little sister, or any person I cared about that I felt compelled to defend), I'd like to think I'd have the self-control to swallow my pride.

Somebody needed to say what Curt said, and if he is the unlikely Jose Canseco-esque person that sparks the internet-wide discussion this'll eventually help things, but it sure as heck isn't going to help Gabby Schilling. So that makes it somewhere between extremely poorly thought out by Curt and an ego boost that he gets to be the white knight for the entire female internet at this point.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Nope. Never heard of it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Gabby will be fine at school. Salve is a small school, and the students will likely feel very protective of one of their own. She isn't going to a state school with tens of thousands of students.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

I doubt she'd have an issue even if she went to a massive state school. Famous people's kids have been going to college for a long time with little issue. And as others said, none of these people would be saying these things in person and she'd probably get fawned over even by Yankees fans.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gonna be on the Herd in a few minutes
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Gonna be on the Herd in a few minutes

Ugh, can't stomach him and his show. Sorry, just a reflexive action when I hear his name (or the show's name).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #40
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Famous people's kids have been going to college for a long time with little issue.

I wonder if that's changing at all with technology. Used to be maybe you'd run into a daughter of a famous person at a party, or even a person who has some fame themselves, it's cool, you go home, you maybe run into them again later. Today I wonder if it's immediately on facebook with photos, and you text all your friends to come over the party right now to gawk, and the famous person has to be much more discrete to avoid all that.

Last edited by molson : 03-03-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #41
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
It does seem like the internet turns people into sociopaths at times.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #42
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

I'm sure most haven't, but it's serious stuff. I don't agree with G38 on just about anything. But somehow, he has managed to do more to combat anonymous idiots online than anyone in recent memory.

I can't comment on Gamergate. I'm not really on Twitter and I'd never dare wade into 4chan. But it does present a great case for more regulation online.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't like Schilling, but I do agree with his inkling to pursue this matter and pwn everyone involved.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote