Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

George Mason University and Travel around the area

Alright,

My daughter is pretty set on GMU as her College (They are #1 on her list and we are waiting to know what her scholarship is going to be $ wise).

Her and my ex will be traveling down that area next month for campus visits @ GMU, Roanoke, James Madison and GWU.

I am just curious for those that know the area how the Metro is to DC and around the area, she will be going down without a car and I want to make sure she has a metro pass if that is a solid way around.

Also, any advice for the area is keen.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

DC Metro is basically the gold standard of subway systems, in this country at least. I'm not sure exactly where the campus is in relation to the Metro stop, but do recall a couple stops on the Orange line that had "GMU" in the name, so I think she'll be okay. GWU is at the Foggy Bottom stop, also on the Orange line (also Blue line).

Not sure about JMU or Roanoke. The DC Metro website is pretty good, you'll find it with a quick google.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

yay DC!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

GMU is at the end of one of the lines (orange).... DC is easy to get around in.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since it looks like both schools are on the Orange line, their best bet will be to get a hotel w/in walking distance of an Orange stop. Changing trains is not hard, but why do it if you don't have to?

I lived for a year at the Courthouse metro stop. There were a few hotels there. Nice, safe neighborhood ~10 years ago. Don't know if it has changed since.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The main campus of George Mason - if I'm not mistaken - isn't anywhere *close* to the end of the Metro:

George Mason University to Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Metro Station - Google Maps

Last edited by Toddzilla : 02-26-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

I am actually excited she is going to GMU. The DC area is one of my favorite places in the US and I can spend hours upon hours there and because I travel so much for work, I plan on visiting when I can.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
chesapeake
College Starter

Congratulations! GMU has a shuttle that runs from the Fairfax Campus (where most of the kids are) to the metro 7 days a week.
shuttle.gmu.edu/masontometro.html

I'll be curious to know how often she will actually come into DC. More than a million people live between her and the city, so just about anything she will want or need will be found much closer to campus. But the cultural things that don't already come to the Patriot Center will be less than an hour away on the Metro.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

I stupidly took the OP to mean you were specifically wondering if she needed a Metro pass to make that gauntlet of visits.

Agree with chesapeake...she'll likely only use it sparingly so just having a few bucks for random trips will be fine. And if she buys let's say a $20 card, it's a small piece of paper that can be reloaded and the money doesn't expire, so she can just keep it in her wallet and use when necessary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Congratulations! GMU has a shuttle that runs from the Fairfax Campus (where most of the kids are) to the metro 7 days a week.
shuttle.gmu.edu/masontometro.html

I'll be curious to know how often she will actually come into DC. More than a million people live between her and the city, so just about anything she will want or need will be found much closer to campus. But the cultural things that don't already come to the Patriot Center will be less than an hour away on the Metro.

Her going into DC will be mainly for the cultural stuff and I am assuming internships and such as she is majoring in history and already talking to the dept about summer internships locally and internationally.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to your daughter!
Swing by sometime when you're in the area.

I don't honestly have much nice to say about the area, though

I like the *area* of JMU much more. I know nothing about the school. Please remember as you read this that I used to go caving every weekend. Cities (even fake ones) just aren't my thing.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
The only thing I know about GWU is that being admitted to their hospital SUCKS. But the orthopod who's fixed my back there is pretty good.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote