Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

Minor League Baseball

I attended my first minor league baseball game last night, between the Albuquerque Isotopes and the Nashville Sounds (Nashville won, 10-2). My girlfriend had scammed a suite somehow, so it was like a catered affair, with unlimited hamburgers, pizza, popcorn, beer and margaritas. That was very cool. They even had these "hosts" decked out in Isotopes gear, making sure we were enjoying the event.

The quality of play was not close to major league, in my opinion. Both teams looked pretty poor on defense, and there was an incident of one team actually batting out of order.

Some players of note that participated:

Valentino Pascucci, Isotopes 1st baseman. He's absolutely enormous, but didn't have a good day, striking out twice.

Zach Jackson, Sounds pitcher. Worked quick, didn't look he was throwing very hard, but threw strike after strike. Gave up a solo homer.

Robert Andino, Isotopes shortstop. Batted leadoff, stood out from the crowd defensively.

If any Brewers or Marlins fans have any questions about any other prospects, I'll see what I can remember.

knives out

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Valentino Pascucci, Isotopes 1st baseman. He's absolutely enormous, but didn't have a good day, striking out twice.

Val Pascucci is similar to Jack Cust in Oakland. He was a big power prospect for the Expos/Nats that couldn't hit major league pitching the when he was called up. He's been sitting in the minors ever since waiting for another chance.

With Cust showing he can hit now, he may get another look.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't know about Pascucci, I can't think of too many guys his size that could hit. He's comically tall.

knives out
Old 06-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Minor league baseball seems to be one of the best bangs for the entertainment buck going, right up there with minor league hockey (so long as you like baseball or hockey that is).
Old 06-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Minor league baseball seems to be one of the best bangs for the entertainment buck going, right up there with minor league hockey (so long as you like baseball or hockey that is).

/agree

Tickets to Isotopes games are nominally 5-20 dollars, and I know I've gotten all sorts of 2-fer-1 coupons and similar offers in the mail. We had a very good time. The ballpark is a bit out of our way, is probably what kept us away for so long. I think it took us about 45 minutes to drive there.

knives out
Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree 100%. I love catching a minor league game every now and then.

I took my son to his first minor league game last year and had a good time. However, for the first 3 innings after each half inning he asked if it was over so we could go home. Luckily, he settled down after I got him some ice cream and he enjoyed the rest of the game.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'll third this. I love going to minor league ball. There is a pretty big difference between AAA (Albuquerque) and A. AAA players are almost ready for the bigs while A ballers, well, they're not close. The batting out of order thing is weird- a manager should know better.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

I thought the 'Topes were AA? At the very least they used to be, when they were the Dukes and played against the Diablos a lot.

Going to AA Frisco Roughriders games is, IMO, just as fun as going to a Rangers game. And it's much, much cheaper. If Frisco were a bit closer I would probably go to games fairly often...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

We go to Durham Bulls games fairly often.

I think the most expensive ticket you can get there is like $10. You can get a GA seat for $5. Great value and a good time, considering they are AAA and usually better than their parent club (D-Rays). Last year was especially fun, because between Elijiah Dukes and Delmon Young, you never knew what type of incident might take place.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I really wish that I had minor league baseball or hockey closer to me. For baseball, the Washington Wild Things are about 50 miles away, and the Altoona Curve is 75 miles away. For hockey, the Johnstown Chiefs are 40 miles away, and the Wheeling Nailers are 60 miles away. I do miss seeing minor league sports, and maybe somebody will plop a team down somewhere closer to me, but I'm not optimistic.

I agree that it's great fun, though.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Minor league baseball is big fun. I have seen games at Bosse Field (Frontier League Independent, field used in League Of Their Own) Evansville Otters, Lansing Lugnuts, SW Mich. Devil Rays (now Great Lakes Loons in Midland) and Sarasota Red Sox. Cheap tickets and eats, great atmosphere on a nice summer night.

Keep hoping Oakland County gets a stadium/team, someone is always talking about it and then the idea gets quashed. Personally, given to conspiracy theories, I think Mr. Illitch and the Tigers just do not want competition on any level inside of Oakland/Macomb County.

Too many people would then avoid going downtown to Detroit? Major and minor league baseball are two different animals and get along fine in other cities like Chicago and St. Louis. Big shame, really, lots of money to be made if someone breaks thru and gets a minor league deal here.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
For baseball, the Washington Wild Things are about 50 miles away, and the Altoona Curve is 75 miles away. For hockey, the Johnstown Chiefs are 40 miles away, and the Wheeling Nailers are 60 miles away.

Sounds like you need to cowboy up a little bit.

With the exception of the IHL Atlanta Knights for a couple of years while living downtown, the rest of the minor league teams I've seen have all been about an hours drive away. That includes the Macon Braves, the Macon Whoopee, the Macon Trax, and the Gwinnett Gladiators. Even the average drive for minor league (equivalent) pro wrestling I frequent is about an hour.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the, they actually have a team called Albuquerque Isotopes? I thought this was a Simpsons joke.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post
Keep hoping Oakland County gets a stadium/team, someone is always talking about it and then the idea gets quashed. Personally, given to conspiracy theories, I think Mr. Illitch and the Tigers just do not want competition on any level inside of Oakland/Macomb County.

I grew up in Oakland County and never understood why their wasn't a team in the general area. Lansing is the closest team and then Toledo. More than an hour for both teams. Probably closer to two hours.

Speaking of Toledo, its a great stadium.....in the middle of the most depressed area I have seen since old Tiger Stadium.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I thought the 'Topes were AA? At the very least they used to be, when they were the Dukes and played against the Diablos a lot.

I could have sworn they were AAA. In the mid 90s I saw them play the Toros in Tuscon when the Toros were the Astros AAA affiliate. Tho I could be wrong- the memory on these details might be a bit hazy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

The Isotopes are the Florida Marlins AAA affiliate. They play in the Pacific Coast League, and are hosting the AAA all star game in a couple of weeks.

knives out
Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What the, they actually have a team called Albuquerque Isotopes? I thought this was a Simpsons joke.

I think they were named after the Simpsons episode.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Sounds like you need to cowboy up a little bit.

With the exception of the IHL Atlanta Knights for a couple of years while living downtown, the rest of the minor league teams I've seen have all been about an hours drive away. That includes the Macon Braves, the Macon Whoopee, the Macon Trax, and the Gwinnett Gladiators. Even the average drive for minor league (equivalent) pro wrestling I frequent is about an hour.
Eh, I can't argue with you there. It's just that Pittsburgh is a much quicker drive for me, and while I have to pay a bit more to see the Pirates or a considerable amount more to see the Penguins, it's more comfortable to me. I like minor league sports, sure, but I honestly don't know if I enjoy them enough to regularly drive for over an hour. I guess I'm spoiled from having been in New Orleans when the Brass and Zephyrs were literally within 15 minutes of my house.

My plan for next hockey season is to go out to Wheeling a couple of times if a particular player is still there. If he's no longer playing for the Nailers, I might hit Johnstown once or twice. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick to Penguins games. I often get taunted by other people for not enjoying driving all that much, but I'm used to that now.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
FBPro
College Starter

I've been to a number of minor league games and actually prefer them to the big boys. I've seen the Savannah Braves, Toledo Mud Hens, Nashville Sounds, Chattanooga Lookouts and several other teams play. IMO they are more fan friendly than MLB.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
I've been to a number of minor league games and actually prefer them to the big boys. I've seen the Savannah Braves, Toledo Mud Hens, Nashville Sounds, Chattanooga Lookouts and several other teams play. IMO they are more fan friendly than MLB.

For me it depends on what Major League park I'm going to. Minute Maid was an incredible experience for me. I've been there 4 times and its the best ballpark I've ever been to by far.

Outside of that, I really enjoy the laid back attitude at a minor league game and its nice to see some players before they make it. I haven't been to check out the Rainers here, but the boy and I should be making a trip within the next month.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post

As fan friendly as minor league games are, spring training trumps them. Hell a practice in late Feb. is great(FL & AZ & LV). Fans double the players, at most. A spring training game has a few thousand tops as well. The earlier the better in spring training, more minor league players on the roster the more fun the players have.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

Going to AA Frisco Roughriders games is, IMO, just as fun as going to a Rangers game. And it's much, much cheaper. If Frisco were a bit closer I would probably go to games fairly often...

The Topes are AAA, they stole our team, now we're stuck with northern league ball. At least it's better than the rookie league ball we had here after the Cannons (now Topes) left.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Dola: I would whole heartedly agree that it is the best bang for the buck out there. Here 10 bucks for a ticket in the lower bowl, plus 6.50 for a spolombos (sausage) and a beverage. Lots of fun, although attendance isn't that hot.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #25
cougarfreak
College Starter

I make it a point to go to minor league games wherever I go on vacation, and have liked it quite a bit. I've been to St. Pete, Tampa, Clearwater, Dunedin, Columbus, Dayton, Florence (independent league), Louisville, and Lexington. This year I'm going to hit Charleston, and Wilmington while I'm in Myrtle Beach for vacation (the Myrtle Beach team is out of town the whole week I'm there ). I love the prices and the atmosphere.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #26
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Before the Trappers left Edmonton (they were in the PCL...AAA) I got to enjoy the likes of the Johan Santana, Michael Cuddyer, and Ryan Church...among others. Val Pascucci had several great seasons for the trappers but he isn't the biggest guy I remember playing for them...Jon Rauch at 6'11 and 255 was a MONSTER!! I can't imagine standing in there against a guy that big...I mean the ball looked like a pea in his hand...absolutely ridiculous!!!

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 07-01-2007 at 09:22 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #27
samifan24
Pro Starter

I work in minor league baseball. If you want a good, fun family outing, a cheap date or just to watch some good baseball cheap, MiLB is your best bet.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #28
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I work in minor league baseball. If you want a good, fun family outing, a cheap date or just to watch some good baseball cheap, MiLB is your best bet.

Completely agree that's why I was very sad to see the Trappers leave town. We now have the Cracker Cats...a team in the Northern League. It's an independant league and the baseball is absolutely terrible. I play in a 30+ baseball league and I'm sure we could field team that could compete quite well in the league...and that isn't saying much at all!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Went to a Beloit Snappers game a few years back before they left and it was a lot of fun. Had a scout from the Nashville Sounds who sat in front of me and was looking at players.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #30
sooner333
College Starter

Two summers ago, I went with three friends on a baseball trip up to Ohio and back. However, we took in three minor league games in between to fill up the itinerary and save us some money. We saw two AAA games, one in Columbus (terrible stadium), and one in Louisville (pretty nice). We also went to Bosse field like Bubba did, and I was pretty impressed. The action in Evansville for the Indy league was not nearly as crisp, but the atmosphere at the game couldn't be beat as far as I was concerned. I enjoyed seeing the Indians and Reds, but I remember the minor league games and stadiums just as well if not more.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote