Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Argh! Vick probably will not be back Nov. 2

Not saying the Falcons would start winning or anything, but at leasst he could give us fans reason to enjoy watching the game. Just read the article and see how bad it is getting in the big A.

Quote:
Kittner doesn't fare better; Vick return unlikely Nov. 2

By MATT WINKELJOHN
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

The first four pass attempts of Kurt Kittner's first NFL start were incomplete, which was a bad omen.

The second-year quarterback has admitted that it helps him to complete his first pass. That he completed four of his next five, including a nifty 18-yard touchdown to flanker Brian Finneran, was little more than a tease.

Just four of Kittner's final 20 passes were complete, and several were batted down or tipped at the line as the Saints were credited with seven pass breakups, an unusually high number. Atlanta had three pass breakups.

"There were a lot of balls I'd like to have back," said Kittner, who completed 9 of 29 passes for 115 yards, a touchdown and an interception. "I saw the field well, for the most part. There were a few balls that I should have completed, but I didn't."

Kittner replaced Doug Johnson. The Falcons have a bye next Sunday, and the chances of starter Mike Vick returning to play quarterback Nov. 2 against Philadelphia don't look good as he recovers from a broken right fibula.

"I would say slim [chances]," coach Dan Reeves said. "He hasn't run at full speed. It's hard for me to say. I think it's hard for anybody to say right now. I'm not even sure if Mike knows exactly how much progress he's made."

Brooking injures back

The Falcons' worst injury came on the Saints' first offensive possession, when inside linebacker Keith Brooking apparently broke some bones in his back. His injury was described as being similar to the one that recently sidelined Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper for a month.

When Brooking went out, he was replaced by Twan Russell, a special-teams player who entered the game with 11 defensive tackles in six previous seasons. He was replaced in the second half by Artie Ulmer, in part because of Russell's balky left knee.

The rest of the injury report: reserve running back Travis Jervey (sprained ankle), tight end Alge Crumpler (aggravated a sprained knee) and cornerback Kevin Mathis (sprained finger).

Hit hard at linebacker

The injury to Brooking was the Falcons' latest to a linebacker. They already are without Sam Rogers (left knee) and Will Overstreet (left shoulder), who've undergone season-ending surgeries. They were supposed to be the Falcons' top two weakside linebackers. Instead, reserve strongside linebacker Keith Newman is playing there.

Rogers had 6.5 sacks last season, and his presence made it more difficult for opposing teams to block whichever defensive end was on his side. There's a big change this season, though.

Strongside linebacker Matt Stewart had a sack Sunday, and reserve defensive lineman Ellis Johnson had two. But ends Patrick Kerney (who had 10.5 sacks last season) and Brady Smith (6.5) are far more susceptible now to double-team blocking. They each have one sack this season.

Longest run

Warrick Dunn's 69-yard touchdown in the first quarter was the longest scoring run in Falcons history, surpassing the 66-yarder by Harmon Wages on Dec. 7, 1969 against New Orleans. It also was the second-longest run of any kind from scrimmage by a Falcon. Byron Hanspard had a 77-yard run in 1997.

Machine gun Horn

Saints wide receiver Joe Horn was lectured by coach Jim Haslett after being penalized 15 yards for his excessive celebration after a 32-yard touchdown catch. He pretended he had a machine gun and waved it around. "That's Joe Horn," said Saints running back Deuce McAllister. "As long as he keeps making plays, it don't matter."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-20-2003 at 11:28 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
sturmie
Mascot

vick shouldn't play at all this season. he's still younger than more than half of the rookies in the league this season and he IS the future of the falcons (and the NFL).

atlanta needs to concede this season and get a stud receiver in the draft (can Fitzgerald come out after this season? he did have a year of prep school, right?)...then, the falcons can be the new "greatest show on turf" in 2004.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #3
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sturmie
vick shouldn't play at all this season. he's still younger than more than half of the rookies in the league this season and he IS the future of the falcons (and the NFL).

atlanta needs to concede this season and get a stud receiver in the draft (can Fitzgerald come out after this season? he did have a year of prep school, right?)...then, the falcons can be the new "greatest show on turf" in 2004.

sturmie

Fitzgerald can't come out unless Clarrett wins his case. However, this is the year to get WR's in the draft.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by sturmie

sturmie

He needs to play and is going to play. A whole season out will not help him in the long run. Even if he can only play 4 games this year, he needs to play those four games.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I agree that once Vick is healthy, get him out there. It gets him more experience in playing time which could be valuable down the road...

Regardless though as I have said all along and got criticized for earlier in the season, unless Vick plays Defense also, the Falcons still won't win consistantly enough to turn this season around. Vick can be the difference in some close ones, but not the past two weeks where teams can pass and run all over this horrible defense.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

I actually think it is worse long term for Vick not to play. Yes, the season is lost, but I think sitting out a whole year will hurt the Falcons more in the long run than dropping a few spots in the draft. They'll still get a WR, there are tons. The only thing they might possibly get out of this season is further development of Vick/Duckett/Price, both individually and as a unit.

That said, I have continued to count on him to come in and save my fantasy team. Does anyone know how to stop massive bleeding caused by repeatedly banging one's head against the wall?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
Sporkimata
High School JV

Could the Falcons ever be the greatest show on turf with Dan Reeves as coach?
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Fitzgerald can't come out unless Clarrett wins his case. However, this is the year to get WR's in the draft.

Yes, he can come out. My high school team played his when he was a senior in the 2000 season. He's only had 2 years in college, but he spent one year in a military academy because he didn't immediately qualify to play coming out of high school.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sporkimata
Could the Falcons ever be the greatest show on turf with Dan Reeves as coach?

Reeves is done after this season.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 AM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Yes, he can come out. My high school team played his when he was a senior in the 2000 season. He's only had 2 years in college, but he spent one year in a military academy because he didn't immediately qualify to play coming out of high school.

I heard a radio interview with him where he said he couldn't come out because the NCAA considered his high school class to be from the military academy. Also, he sort of insinuated that he wouldn't come out even if Clarett did win his case.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #11
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Even if he could come out. This year, there is an argument for him being the #1 receiver, but it's no sure thing with the competition of two Williams' and Woods. Next season, there's only one eligible Williams.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Uh, guys? Don't the Falcons need a little thing called DEFENSE?

This team is starting to remind me of the Hal Mummie-Kentucky teams of the late 90's, where it looked like their defense was borrowed from a North Dakota high school team, the kind that only plays 7 on a side.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
sturmie
Mascot

i would like to revise my statement--if vick is 100%, beyond a doubt healthy, then yes, he should play...but if he feels anything that wasn't there before the injury, he shouldn't.

btw, thanks for the info on Fitzgerald...i was wondering why more people weren't talking about him coming out after this season.

sturmie

*EDIT*

even reeves couldn't hold vick back from being the "greatest show on turf" if u added another superstar receiver to his aresenal.

Last edited by sturmie : 10-20-2003 at 12:08 PM.
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

This team is starting to remind me of the Hal Mummie-Kentucky teams of the late 90's, where it looked like their defense was borrowed from a North Dakota high school team, the kind that only plays 7 on a side.

I have been saying this all season long. The defense is not the only problem on the Falcons, but it is easily the biggest one.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #15
Buzzbee
College Starter

You can forget WR. Without an offensive line to protect him, Vick won't need a stud WR. He'll need track shoes and a bag of ice.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:38 PM   #16
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Woody... Woody... Woody...
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #17
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple

Old 10-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WR? What are the Falcons supposed to do with a WR, try to win games 50-48?

If the first draft choice, nay, the first several draft choices aren't spent on defense, I'll start to wonder if they've secretly sold the team back to the Smiths.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #19
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

They need defense and linemen. Badly. They really aren't in bad shape with receivers. They just need time to get the ball to them, and a defense that will get the offense the ball back.

The talent isn't the only reason the defense has fallen apart, though. This defense doesn't believe it can stop anybody. They are dogging it bad.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple

I miss Woody....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:29 PM   #21
Celeval
Pro Starter

Finneran isn't a bad #2 receiver, either... he seems to have good hands and good size. With Dunn as a receiver/scatback; the skill positions aren't bad. If I were the Falcons, I'd be looking hard at some offensive linemen in the draft next year.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote