Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Office 2003 deals... mainly Comp USA

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had a CompUSA ad anywhere and could confirm something I saw on www.techbargains.com. Mainly, I want to know if this is right:

Starts Tuesday: Buy any Version of MS Office 2003 (Student & Teacher Ed costs $149.99 Item 306472)- Choose 1 Free AR: Initial 5" Portable DVD Player (304139), Motorola 2.4Ghz Phone system (303141), or Buslink 4x DVD+R/RW Writer (302657)

By this writing, it seems I can buy Office 2003 Student (Still in school!) and get one of the following for free (Probably pay near ful price for one, but then get a rebate form and get my money back). Is this true, as I haven't found this on their website?

If so, this is a great deal, and I would have to reallocate funds since I'm using Openoffice right now, which serves its purpose, but leads to some poor formatting errors when I send it to someone with Word.

And which of the 3 should I get? I'd like the DVD writer (b/c it also says on techbargains that I can get DVDXCopy for free after rebate, not that I'd copy movies...) since I already have 3 DVD players and just bought a new phone, but what would you get?

Also, Best Buy has it where you can get $30 of movies for free and a wireless Optical mouse and keyboard for free (after rebate).

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The only deal I can handle on Tuesday is the Indiana Jones DVD set plus 5th DVD bonus at Best Buy.

I would like to know more about the Office deal as well. Is it the version that includes Access 2003 as well?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

My circular(from Philly) lists that MS Office version for 149.99 but I dont see anything about choosing anything for free.

Most circulars in this area are store specific, not sure how that would affect techbargains info though.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
The only deal I can handle on Tuesday is the Indiana Jones DVD set plus 5th DVD bonus at Best Buy.

I would like to know more about the Office deal as well. Is it the version that includes Access 2003 as well?

Student version doesn't have access, I think the Standard may, but its $100 more (around $250 I think). I'd like access, but I have no use for it right now.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:51 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Dola....

No Access 03 is not on that version. Excel, Powerpoint, Word & I THINK Outlook are on it.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:12 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Just wondering... can anyone tell me what "Infopath"does?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:13 PM   #7
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Just wondering... can anyone tell me what "Infopath"does?

increases the price of the suite exponentially.

From Microsoft:

InfoPath 2003 Overview
Published: March 10, 2003

Related Links
• InfoPath 2003 FAQ
• InfoPath 2003 Product Guide
• InfoPath 2003 Demo

On This Page
Gather Information More Flexibly and Efficiently
Connect People, Information, and Processes More Effectively
Easily Develop and Deploy Rich, Dynamic Forms

Gather information flexibly and efficiently in rich, dynamic forms and more effectively share, reuse, and repurpose information throughout your team or organization. InfoPath 2003 helps improve collaboration and decision-making to positively impact your business.

Information collected with InfoPath 2003 can be integrated with a broad range of business processes because InfoPath 2003 supports any customer-defined Extensible Markup Language (XML) schema and integrates with Web services. As a result, InfoPath 2003 can help you connect directly to organizational information and then act on it, which leads to greater business impact.

Example of a performance review in InfoPath. See more scenarios of how InfoPath 2003 can be used.

InfoPath 2003 is just one example of how the Microsoft Office System is an integral part of both formal and informal business processes in increasingly connected organizations.
Gather Information More Flexibly and Efficiently

Efficiently collect the information needed to make better-informed decisions.

Make it easy to collect the right information the first time with data validation, screen tips, and conditional formatting.

Personalize the information being captured. Add sections to the form as you go to make the information you gather more meaningful.

Work with forms online or offline to conveniently gather and manage information anywhere, anytime.

Enjoy the familiar Microsoft Office System environment, which minimizes training time and provides authoring features like the spelling checker, font formatting, and other familiar tools.
Top of page
Connect People, Information, and Processes More Effectively

Enable teams and organizations to easily reuse and repurpose the information they collect. The information can then be shared across business processes and organizations.

Share, reuse, and repurpose information across systems and processes with support for Web services.

Enhance team collaboration by combining InfoPath 2003 and Microsoft Windows® SharePoint™ Services.
Top of page
Easily Develop and Deploy Rich, Dynamic Forms

Create robust forms solutions and to deploy and maintain forms solutions across an organization.

Build your own forms for gathering information in the WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") design mode or work with 25 ready-to-use samples.

Include powerful features like data validation in your forms without writing code.

Create forms solutions using existing customer-defined schemas.

Publish your forms to a shared network folder, a Web server, a Windows SharePoint Services form library, or send them by e-mail.

Make sure the most up-to-date form is always available with silent and automatic downloads.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Thanks... I read that page, too. But I'd probably understand it better if they gave a better example of what it actually did. Personally, I don't see how I'd ever use something like that, and I'm wondering why it came with Office 2k3. Seems like a developer tool - not really an end user app.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

InfoPath is definately geared toward corporate environments, sort of like how Sharepoint Team Services was introduced in Office XP. My understanding is that it allows you to quickly and very easily create web forms for capturing all kinds of data. Its not useful for programmers or IT people because they can already do that really easily with ASP,etc.

Where it really is huge is if a non-technical person wants to capture data. Say someone who barely knows how to work a computer wants want to make a simple web survey and have the data stored in a database. With something like this hopefully they could do nearly all of it themselves without having to ever bug the IT guys. If it integrates well with Sharepoint Services it will be a godsend. I'm really looking foward to it...

I've been playing with the demo of 2003 and for corporate/group environments it is really, really slick. Definately the biggest incremental improvement from one version to the next in a long time. If you're a home user, you might as well stick with Office 2000. though.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote