Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Conference USA - Moves Fast

Here is a Link...

Looks like C-USA will split into a western and eastern division and hold a championship game... The western division will be alot of old SWC members (Rice, Houston, TCU, and SMU) with Tulsa and Tulane thrown in there...

The remaining members of C-USA (assuming Cincy and Louisville leave) will be Southern Mississippi, UAB, Memphis, South Florida and East Carolina. (Army is leaving after this season)

Marshall also looks to be invited to join C-USA as well.

Here is your new C-USA:

Eastern Division: Southern Mississippi, Marshall, UAB, Memphis, South Florida and East Carolina

Western Division: Rice, Houston, TCU, SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane

Sorry if this was brought up before now...

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #2
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

As an alumni to one of these schools, this makes my day as now I can feasibly travel to all of the division games for my school. That was always a bummer to me when we were in the WAC and the present C-USA.

I wonder when 2005 comes around if the Big East loses their BCS tie-in, and if so if C-USA has a chance to get one. I would think the MAC and C-USA would be the frontrunners at this point for the spot if it becomes available.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have a feeling that by 2005 there may be a new system for BCS tie-ins...

I think the SEC, PAC-10, ACC, Big10, Big12 will still have an automatic but it wouldn't surprise me to see there be an at-large birth coming from some combination of C-USA, Big East, and the MAC...

Of course alot will have to happen for that to occur... As I see it now if they are going to take a birth from the Big East that is a drastic enough change to overhaul the system to an extent anyway... I just don't see them handing the Big East's birth to another conference outright...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

You are probably right, my best guess if it was changed would be the highest ranked team out of the non-BCS conferences.

This also brings up another question. Now that the majority of the shoo-in BCS conferences have a championship game, does this mean that the PAC-10 and Big10 will have to comply by either having one themselves or expanding to a 12 team, 6 team division format themselves to have one?

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 10-18-2003 at 12:56 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm glad the PAC-10 doesn't really see the need to sell out and expand
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP is so going to wind up getting screwed when all is said and done...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

As a Memphis fan, I hate it for basketball purposes.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

USF is going to replace BC in the Big East...
Old 10-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
[i]This also brings up another question. Now that the majority of the shoo-in BCS conferences have a championship game, does this mean that the PAC-10 and Big10 will have to comply by either having one themselves or expanding to a 12 team, 6 team division format themselves to have one? [/b]

At this point, I don't see two schools that the Pac-10 could add that would do anything to enhance the conference.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #10
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Of the two remaining non-CCG conferences, the Pac-10 is least likely to add two teams. Speculation always swirls that either the Utah or the Colorado schools would be those additional teams, but the Pac-10 is making a great show of not being interested.

As for the Big 10, I think they're going to try to see if they can outwait Notre Dame and stay at 11 unless Penn State gives serious consideration to leaving, in which case they may give consideration to adding a different 12th if ND hasn't joined already. At this point, I'd say they're going to stay at 11 for the foreseeable future.

If Louisville, Cincy, and USF all go to the Big East, then the three WAC additions plus Marshall and UCF to replace, that leaves C-USA at 12 football teams and 14 basketball members (if you also assume that Marquette and DePaul also go to the Big East for basketball, leaving UNC-Charlotte and St. Louis as the non-football-playing members of C-USA). The MAC would trim to 12 and the WAC has fallen to 7 members.

Conceivably, if the Pac-10 wanted to go to twelve, they could take Utah and BYU, leaving the remaining six MWC members to consolidate with the seven leftover WAC members to form a new 13-team league, but as noted, I doubt that'll happen. I do think, however, the WAC will now start looking at the westernmost members of the Sun Belt (Utah State, Idaho, and perhaps NM State) as replacements for their lost teams. The Sun Belt, in turn, is already adding Troy State next year and I think may also go for Florida A&M when they move up to D-IA.

As for BCS implications, I think that when the renegotiation is done for 2006, there will likely be an additional fifth bowl, which should allow for a "highest-rated" mid-major champion to become an automatic berth, provided the mid-major rep meets a criterion of some kind (e.g. getting into the BCS poll or having 10 wins or something like that). The Big East will likely lose its auto berth as well, so that leaves five auto berths and five wild cards in this arrangement.

Anyone care to take a stab at the next domino to fall?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Re: Conference USA - Moves Fast

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDPW

Marshall also looks to be invited to join C-USA as well.

BOO
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote